Moschino Green Wool Smile Frown Vest
About the Item
- Dimensions:Marked Size: Size 4 (US)Shoulder to Hem: 22 in (55.88 cm)
- Style:1980s/1990s (Of the Period)
- Place of Origin:
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use.
- Seller Location:Los Angeles, CA
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU2262212626232
The Moschino story begins in the early 1980s, when Franco Moschino (1950–94), a freelance magazine illustrator and Gianni Versace collaborator, founded a label in Italy whose ethos was all about having fun.
Moschino initially pursued a degree in painting at Milan Academy of Fine Arts during the late 1960s, turning to freelance illustration to help pay his way through school. He found inspiration in Pop art, Dadaism and bold graphics. During the 1970s, he began to work for Gianni Versace’s now-legendary house as a sketcher and freelanced as a clothing designer with other fashion labels. In 1983, encouraged by Versace, he launched his own extravagant and excessive couture collection.
Moschino’s expertly tailored, vibrant designs for casual wear and more, each adorned with loud, playful details, spoofed the chic high fashion of the day, and his close relationship with fine art — as well as his eye for innovation — welcomed comparisons to Elsa Schiaparelli over the years. The label’s work essentially mocked the industry even as its hand fed Moschino, with the founder emblazoning shirts with slogans such as “Good taste doesn’t exist” or embroidering jackets with the phrase “Waist of money,” while the theatrical shows were positioned with an undercurrent of critique. Today, the Metropolitan Museum of Art holds two vintage Moschino handbags in its collection: one shaped like a milk carton and the other an iron.
“Under all the surface witticisms, [Moschino] had a serious knack for running class pieces through a wringer of irony or Surrealism,” observed Vogue. “Chanel-isms were his favorite trope, though he also poked fun at Jean Paul Gaultier’s lingerie dressing and put out pasta bags in a parody of the Prada accessories craze.”
Accessories, jeans and the first men’s collection were presented at the Regal Palace in Milan in 1985, with his Moschino Jeans womenswear collection following in 1986. Then Moschino released Moschino for Women, its first fragrance, the next year in Europe. In 1988, long before brands had considered the concept of a spin-off, Moschino bowed its cheeky diffusion line for men and women, Moschino Cheap & Chic, during the shows in Milan. The label thrived, adding its first stores in Italy and campaigning for eco-friendly fur. Its retrospective-slash-fashion-show “X Years of Kaos” in the early 1990s benefited a children’s AIDS organization.
After Moschino’s untimely death at the age of 44 from AIDS complications, Rossella Jardini, his longtime friend and colleague, took the reins. She carried the torch for nearly 20 years, adding eyewear, watches and jewelry. American designer Jeremy Scott was named creative director in 2013.
Scott, who grew up on a farm and once unveiled a collection of evening dresses charred with burn marks, imbues all his work with a message of inclusion, be it his Fast Food collection in 2014 (hot dog dress included) or Moschino Barbie. “I don’t care if the critics don’t like me,” Scott told Vogue. “I want to be the people’s designer, like Diana was the people’s princess.”
Find vintage Moschino clothing on 1stDibs.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Los Angeles, CA
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 1 day of delivery.
- Moschino Cheap Chic Burlap Bag Blazer The NannyBy MoschinoLocated in Los Angeles, CAMoschino cheap chic burlap bag blazer the nanny Be retro cool wearing this vintage blazer by Moschino Cheap and Chic. Pair with black skinny jeans ...Category
1990s Italian Blazers
- Moschino Cheap Chic Hot Pepper Cat BlazerBy Moschino, Moschino Cheap and ChicLocated in Los Angeles, CAMoschino cheap chic hot pepper cat blazer The design on this jacket is super fun with hot papers, cats, lucky horse shoes and more! Be retro cool wearing this vintage piece and be t...Category
1990s Italian Blazers
- Moschnio Black Tuxedo Jalter Style Top VestBy Moschino, Moschino Cheap and ChicLocated in Los Angeles, CAMoschnio black tuxedo jalter style top vest Be retro glam wearing this vintage tuxedo style vest / halter neck by Moschino. Pair with a pencil skirt or pencil pants and heels for a ...Category
1990s Italian Vests
- Moschino Jeans Patchwork Print BlazerBy Moschino Jeans, MoschinoLocated in Los Angeles, CAMoschino jeans patchwork print blazer Summer dressing is easy wearing unique vintage pieces like this patchwork print stretch cotton blazer! Pair with...Category
Early 2000s Italian Blazers
- Moschino Cheap Chic Black Men's Stick Figure Velvet VestBy Moschino, Moschino Cheap and ChicLocated in Los Angeles, CAMoschino cheap chic black men's stick figure velvet vest Playful is the word to describe with black vintage men's vest by Moschino. Stick figures are all...Category
1990s Italian Vests
- Moschino Nature Friendly Garment Black Bow BlazerBy MoschinoLocated in Los Angeles, CAMoschino nature friendly garment black blazer Franco Moschino' last line was the Nature Friendly Garment - this black wool blazer is from tha...Category
1990s Italian Blazers
- Helen Anderson Vintage 80s Black Crepe Shoulder Pads Tassel Blazer Jacket, 1980sLocated in Doncaster, South YorkshireA classy vintage womens jacket from the 80s by luxury British fashion designer, Helen Anderson. In a black wool blend crepe with shoulder pads, a beaded...Category
1980s English Jackets
- Alexander McQueen black cashmere 'Joan' jacket and skirt suit, fw 1998By Alexander McQueenLocated in London, GB▪ Alexander McQueen 'Joan' suit ▪ Museum piece ▪ Black cashmere ▪ Fitted jacket with buttoned inner bodice with standing shoulders ▪ Mid-length pencil skirt with large rear kick sp...Category
1990s Italian Suits, Outfits and Ensembles
- Martin Margiela grey wool deconstructed blazer jacket and apron set, fw 2003By Maison Martin MargielaLocated in London, GBPresenting an archival Martin Margiela wool apron and blazer jacket set, an exceptional ensemble from the Autumn-Winter 2003 collection that captures the brand's iconic deconstructed...Category
Early 2000s Italian Jackets
- Jean Paul Gaultier purple and black satin jacket, fw 1986By Jean Paul GaultierLocated in London, GBJean Paul Gaultier purple and black striped satin oversized jacket with ribbed wool cuffs and collar, two front pockets and zip fastenings. Fall-Winter 1986Category
- Yohji Yamamoto black wool pleated evening cape, c. 1990By Yohji YamamotoLocated in London, GBYohji Yamamoto black wool pleated evening cape c. 1990Category
1990s Japanese Cloaks
- Vivienne Westwood green tartan wool fitted jacket with 15 gold buttons, fw 1988By Vivienne WestwoodLocated in London, GBVivienne Westwood green tartan wool fitted jacket with 15 gold orb button fastenings at front. Black velvet cuffs and collar. Fall-Winter 1988Category
1980s Italian Jackets
Recently ViewedView All
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery