- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche cocktail dress in printed satin Fall Winter 1985
- DimensionsMarked Size: French equivalent size 36/38 (EU)
- Style1985 (Of the Period)
- Place of Origin
- ConditionWear consistent with age and use. Excellent Condition and Color.
- Seller LocationToulon, FR
- Reference Number1stDibs: LU633312173332
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Toulon, France
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 2 days of delivery.
About the Designer
Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche
Visionary French fashion designer Yves Saint Laurent was the first to launch a ready-to-wear label, YSL Rive Gauche Prêt-à-Porter. The inaugural Rive Gauche boutique — a modern shop in Paris’s bustling, bohemian Left Bank district — offered stylish garments and accessories that were intended to be affordable for a younger generation of fashion enthusiasts. The store featured Mies van der Rohe chairs and played host to actor Catherine Deneuve during its grand opening.
Saint Laurent pioneered “cross-design” in fashion, taking inspiration from street trends to modernize haute couture. He was the first couturier to open boutiques for both men and women. Using traditional menswear fabrics and designs for women, he also literally cross-dressed, giving men and women alike chic pant suits, elegant tuxedo jackets and urban safari gear. By blurring gender-specific design, he empowered individual style while creating a scissor-sharp fashion aesthetic of sensual ease and beauty. Many of his designs are today considered timeless classics. Saint Laurent also consistently used Black models, like Mounia, Iman and Naomi Campbell, and he drew endless inspiration from different ethnicities and cultures, in no small part because of his Algerian roots.
Born to French parents in Oran, Algeria, in 1936, Saint Laurent went to Paris at age 17 to study fashion at the Chambre Syndicale de la Haute Couture. Just two years later, in 1955, his remarkable sketches were shown to Christian Dior, then the world’s reigning couturier, who hired him immediately.
Surprisingly soon thereafter, Dior publicly chose Saint Laurent as his successor, which sadly proved prescient when the fashion legend died unexpectedly, in 1957. A mere slip of a youth, the 21-year-old Saint Laurent was nevertheless up to the challenge. He shook the traditional couture clientele to its core with youthful silhouettes and styles like the A-line trapeze dress that hung with seeming effortlessness from the shoulders, the antithesis of the pinched waists and molded skirts that had been all the rage after the deprivations of World War II.
After a mandated spell in the torturous French military, Saint Laurent suffered a nervous breakdown and was dismissed by Dior in 1962. Out of the ashes rose the Age of Yves. With Pierre Bergé, his then-lover who became his lifelong business partner and friend, the designer founded Yves Saint Laurent YSL to encompass prêt-à-porter, or ready-to-wear. In 1966, they opened the first YSL Rive Gauche women’s boutique in Paris — Rive Gauche is French for “left bank” — followed soon thereafter by YSL Rive Gauche for men. Ready-to-wear materialized during a period of dynamic transformation and experimentation and came to dominate the Paris fashion scene. Saint Laurent had given birth to a global brand.
His revolutionary Mondrian mini dress from 1965 is a core element of his fashion biography. It is a prime example of how Saint Laurent, an avid art lover and collector, looked to painters, from Goya to Picasso, Ingres to Matisse, for inspiration.
With its pure lines and hues, Mondrian’s ground-breaking 1935 color-block painting Composition C transmutes beautifully into a dress that is highly valued by collectors of contemporary fashion and widely copied commercially to this day. The design is the epitome of Saint Laurent’s aesthetic, requiring a meticulous hand piecing of each color block so that, despite the body’s curves, the visual plane is as flat as a canvas when the garment is worn. Mondrian’s purity met its match in Saint Laurent.
“I am no longer concerned with sensation and innovation, but with the perfection of my style,” Saint Laurent said four years before retiring, in 2002. After a long period of ill health, he died at his home in Paris on June 1, 2008.
- A Lanvin Couture Evening Dress or Négligé Numbered 18073 - France Circa 1990By Jeanne LanvinLocated in Toulon, FRCirca 1990 France Long evening dress Jeanne Lanvin Numbered 18073. Fuchsia brilliant satin silk 100%. Fully lined with a purple and cream silk dyed by hand closes with a knot in th...Category
1990s French Evening Dresses$1,032Free Shipping
- Japanese printed silk pajamas - France Circa 1935Located in Toulon, FRCirca 1935 France Beautiful evening pajamas, two pieces Cache-Coeur and pants in cream silk pongee printed with Japanese motifs and dating from the 1930s. Beautiful print with bunc...Category
1930s French Pajama Bottoms$1,065Free Shipping
- Djellaba dress by Emilio Pucci in printed silk chiffon Circa 2000By Emilio PucciLocated in Toulon, FRCirca 2000 Italy Beautiful summer dress for evening or indoor in printed chiffon by Emilio Pucci. Djellaba style long dress with plunging V-neckline, large kimono sleeves, slit on ...Category
Early 2000s Italian Evening Dresses$1,021Free Shipping
- An Yves Saint Laurent Evening Set in Golden Lurex muslin and feathers Circa 1980By Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche, Yves Saint LaurentLocated in Toulon, FRCirca 1980 France Stunning black chiffon evening ensemble embroidered with gold Lurex and highlighted with swan or marabou feathers by Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche, dating from t...Category
1980s French Twin Sets
- Velvet & Silk Set Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche Ballets Russes Fall Winter 1976By Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche, Yves Saint LaurentLocated in Toulon, FRAutumn Winter 1976 Collection France Beautiful cocktail set, blouse, skirt, bolero and belt by Yves Saint Laurent Rive gauche from the famous Ballets Russes Collection 1976. Blouse...Category
1970s French Habits
- Yves Saint Laurent Variation Blouse Dress in Printed Satin Circa 1990By Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche, Yves Saint LaurentLocated in Toulon, FRCirca 1990 France Iconic blouse dress in printed silk satin from the Variation line by Yves Saint Laurent and dating from the 1990s. Beautiful silk satin printed with stylized patte...Category
1990s French Cocktail Dresses
- Crystal Studded Show BraLocated in Amsterdam, NLThis bra is embroidered with colored crystals, sequins and fringe We offer more exclusive vintage items, view our frontstore Details: Handmade bra with hard cups Hooks closures at...Category
20th Century Bras
- Dolce & Gabbana black silk corset and bustle skirt ensemble, fw 1992By Dolce & GabbanaLocated in London, GBDolce & Gabbana black silk corset and bustle skirt ensemble Fall-Winter 1992Category
1990s Italian Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Sexy Vintage Bob Mackie Plungling Low Back Long Sleeve Evening Nightgown DressBy Bob MackieLocated in San Diego, CASexy vintage 1980s BOB MACKIE for SAKS 5th AVENUE black and white plunging low back evening nightgown! Features a sheer black and white mesh bodice, back and sleeves. Simply slips ov...Category
1980s American Evening Gowns
- 1990s Jean Paul Gaultier Black Logo One Piece Bodysuit Wrap 90s DressBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in San Diego, CAAmazing 1990s JEAN PAUL GAULTIER black bodysuit / wrap dress ! Black stretch jersey with orange JPG logo at each side of the hem. Simply slips over the head and stretches to fit. Can...Category
1990s Italian Bodysuits$1,995Free Shipping
- 1940s Kamehameha Graphic Figural Print Rayon Dress in Polynesian StyleBy KamehamehaLocated in San Francisco, CAA fabulous and rare 1940s Kamehameha Polynesian styled mid-century graphic figural print rayon dress or caftan in chartreuse, magenta, black and cobalt blue. Solid magenta lining on ...Category
1940s American Loungewear
- Oyster Tone Floral Embroidered Silk Charmeuse Trim Open Shoulder CaftanBy Torso CreationsLocated in San Francisco, CAA gorgeous summer caftan or swimsuit cover-up for cocktails by the pool! Oyster-toned, thread-embroidered net is generously draped and edged in silk charmeuse. Triple shoulder strap ...Category
21st Century and Contemporary American Caftans