S/S 1990 Moschino Couture Vintage Eyes Bustier Corset Top
About the Item
The Moschino story begins in the early 1980s, when Franco Moschino (1950–94), a freelance magazine illustrator and Gianni Versace collaborator, founded a label in Italy whose ethos was all about having fun.
Moschino initially pursued a degree in painting at Milan Academy of Fine Arts during the late 1960s, turning to freelance illustration to help pay his way through school. He found inspiration in Pop art, Dadaism and bold graphics. During the 1970s, he began to work for Gianni Versace’s now-legendary house as a sketcher and freelanced as a clothing designer with other fashion labels. In 1983, encouraged by Versace, he launched his own extravagant and excessive couture collection.
Moschino’s expertly tailored, vibrant designs for casual wear and more, each adorned with loud, playful details, spoofed the chic high fashion of the day, and his close relationship with fine art — as well as his eye for innovation — welcomed comparisons to Elsa Schiaparelli over the years. The label’s work essentially mocked the industry even as its hand fed Moschino, with the founder emblazoning shirts with slogans such as “Good taste doesn’t exist” or embroidering jackets with the phrase “Waist of money,” while the theatrical shows were positioned with an undercurrent of critique. Today, the Metropolitan Museum of Art holds two vintage Moschino handbags in its collection: one shaped like a milk carton and the other an iron.
“Under all the surface witticisms, [Moschino] had a serious knack for running class pieces through a wringer of irony or Surrealism,” observed Vogue. “Chanel-isms were his favorite trope, though he also poked fun at Jean Paul Gaultier’s lingerie dressing and put out pasta bags in a parody of the Prada accessories craze.”
Accessories, jeans and the first men’s collection were presented at the Regal Palace in Milan in 1985, with his Moschino Jeans womenswear collection following in 1986. Then Moschino released Moschino for Women, its first fragrance, the next year in Europe. In 1988, long before brands had considered the concept of a spin-off, Moschino bowed its cheeky diffusion line for men and women, Moschino Cheap & Chic, during the shows in Milan. The label thrived, adding its first stores in Italy and campaigning for eco-friendly fur. Its retrospective-slash-fashion-show “X Years of Kaos” in the early 1990s benefited a children’s AIDS organization.
After Moschino’s untimely death at the age of 44 from AIDS complications, Rossella Jardini, his longtime friend and colleague, took the reins. She carried the torch for nearly 20 years, adding eyewear, watches and jewelry. American designer Jeremy Scott was named creative director in 2013.
Scott, who grew up on a farm and once unveiled a collection of evening dresses charred with burn marks, imbues all his work with a message of inclusion, be it his Fast Food collection in 2014 (hot dog dress included) or Moschino Barbie. “I don’t care if the critics don’t like me,” Scott told Vogue. “I want to be the people’s designer, like Diana was the people’s princess.”
Find vintage Moschino clothing on 1stDibs.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Concord, NC
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 1 day of delivery.
- S/S 1991 Gianni Versace Vogue Pop Art Printed Silk ShirtBy Gianni Versace CoutureLocated in Concord, NCGianni Versace Vogue vintage multicolored printed pop art shirt from the Spring 1991 collection. Featuring the iconic Vogue print with Vogue magaz...Category
1990s Italian Shirts
- 1990s Thierry Mugler Black Leather Studded Strapless Bustier CorsetBy Thierry Mugler Couture, Thierry MuglerLocated in Concord, NCIncredible 1990's Thierry Mugler Couture strapless black leather studded bustier top. The inside is lined and boned with a built in corset with cups to add shape and there is a fabri...Category
1990s European Bustiers
- Gianni Versace Petitot Silk Shirt Neoclassical Roman Rococo Men’s IT48 1990sBy Gianni VersaceLocated in Concord, NCGianni Versace Atelier 1990s Rococo themed Men’s Silk Shirt in excellent condition. Featuring the Petitot print from the early 1990s depicting Alexandre Petitot & Benigno Bossi’s neoclassical architectural figurative artwork including “Sacerdotesse à la Grecque...Category
1990s Italian Shirts
- Gianni Versace Butterfly Barocco Silk Shirt 1995 Men's IT50By Gianni VersaceLocated in Concord, NCGianni Versace Butterfly Silk Shirt from 1995. This shirt is the leopard with butterflies print from 1995 depicting multi colored butterfly m...Category
1990s Italian Shirts
- Versace Mosaic Barocco Silk Shirt Resort 2021 Men's XLBy VersaceLocated in Concord, NCVersace Mosaic Barocco Silk Shirt from the Resort 2021 Flash collection. Featuring patchwork prints of the brands heritage motifs in radiant pastel mul...Category
2010s Italian Shirts
- F/W 1992 Gianni Versace Bondage Buckle Bustier Bra Top Miss S&MBy Gianni Versace Couture, Gianni VersaceLocated in Concord, NCGianni Versace Couture black bustier bra top from the Fall/Winter 1992 “Miss S&M” collection. As seen on Yasmeen Ghauri, and Helena Christensen on the Fall Winter 1992 runway, and on...Category
1990s Italian Bustiers
- Ted Lapidus Vintage 1980s Mens Short Sleeve ShirtBy Ted LapidusLocated in Doncaster, South YorkshireSize: Marked 3 / M but this gives a loose, oversized fit. Chest - 44” / 112cm Waist - 42” / 106cm Length (Shoulder to Hem) - 25” / 63cm Shoulder to Shoulder - 22” / 56cm Sleeve Pit to Cuff - 7” / 18cm Sleeve Shoulder to Cuff - 9” / 23cm An amazing vintage mens short sleeve shirt...Category
1980s Italian Blouses and Tops
- Energie Distressed Boot Print Mens Vintage Shirt, 1990sLocated in Doncaster, South YorkshireAn amazing vintage shirt from the 90s by Italian cult label, Energie. In an off white cotton with an intentionally distressed look with unusual stitching, spots in places, a raw hem ...Category
1990s Italian Chemises
- Pancaldi & B Vintage Mens Loud Print Shirt, 1980sBy PancaldiLocated in Doncaster, South YorkshireSize: Marked Small Chest - 40” / 101cm (has a loose fit on the chest) Waist - 38” / 96cm Length (Shoulder to Hem) -28” / 71cm Shoulder to Shoulder - 17” / 43cm Sleeve Pit to Cuff - 6” / 15cm Sleeve Shoulder to Cuff - 11” / 28cm Condition: Excellent Vintage Condition - No noticeable stains, tears or holes. An amazing vintage mens shirt...Category
1990s Italian Blouses and Tops
- Margiela white cotton digital printed t-shirt, SS 2010By Maison Martin MargielaLocated in London, GBMargiela white cotton digital printed t-shirt Spring-Summer 2010Category
2010s Italian T-Shirts
- Burberry Brit Men's Large Light Blue Logo Polo Shirt 56B715SBy Burberry BritLocated in Dix hills, NY.Date Code/Serial Number: VNTAVLTDTHA Made In: Vietnam Measurements: Length: 21" Width: .2" Height: 28" OVERALL EXCELLENT+ CONDITION ( 9.5/10 or A+ ) Men's Large Shoulders: 19...Category
21st Century and Contemporary T-Shirts
- Louis Vuitton Men's XL Plaid LV Monogram Long Sleeve Button Down Shirt 27lk712sBy Louis VuittonLocated in Dix hills, NYMade In: Italy Measurements: Length: 21.5a" Width: .2" Height: 31.5" Size: XL OVERALL NEW CONDITION ( 10/10 or N ) Men's XL Accessories: Tag Shoulders: 19" Pit to Pit: 21.5" Sle...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Collars
Recently ViewedView All
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery