Chanel Cream and Mint Greeen Linen Ensemble
View Similar Items
Chanel Cream and Mint Greeen Linen Ensemble
About the Designer
In the years following the opening of her modest millinery shop, Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel became a pivotal designer of both fashionable casual wear and Paris haute couture as well as an icon and arbiter of 20th-century style with her bob haircut and pearls. Today vintage Chanel handbags, jackets and evening dresses are among the most sought-after clothing and accessories for fashion lovers all over the world.
The first Chanel shop was established in 1910 in Paris on rue Cambon by the young milliner Gabrielle Chanel (1883–1971), who had picked up the nickname “Coco” while working as a club singer. The boutique drew the attention of the Parisian fashion elite who popularized her wide-brimmed Chanel Modes hats. Soon she added a sportswear store in the Normandy resort town of Deauville, where Coco set the tone for her defining sense of style — traditionally masculine garments reimagined for feminine shapes, made from simple jersey fabric.
Effortless and elegant, Chanel's designs promoted comfort and grace in women’s wear that had been dominated in the previous century by complicated layers of fabric and cumbersome corsets. She followed this success with a couture house, opened in 1915 in Biarritz.
But Chanel was not born into a life of glamour. Following the death of her mother, her father left her in an orphanage where she lived until the age of 18. It was there that she learned to sew as well as appreciate the classic pairing of black and white as worn by the nuns. In 1926, she introduced her first little black dress, reclaiming a color that had once been reserved for mourning and working-class women. That same decade, she debuted her perfume, Chanel No. 5, as well as the Chanel suit with a fitted skirt, inspired by the boxy lines of men’s clothing and employing a sporty tweed.
Chanel closed her fashion operations during World War II, then returned to the industry in 1954 to design for the functional needs of modern women. Structure and wearability endured in all of Chanel’s clothing and accessories, like the quilted leather 2.55 handbag introduced in 1955 with its gold-chain shoulder strap that freed up a woman’s hands. Chanel's collarless jacket reacted against the constricting styles of Christian Dior's New Look, replacing them with a design that was timeless, an instant classic. The 1957 two-tone slingback pumps had a practical heel height while offering a bold statement in the black tip of the shoes.
After Coco Chanel died in 1971, the brand underwent several changes in leadership, including fashion designer Karl Lagerfeld, who took over as artistic director in 1983. Over the years, the company has continued to innovate, such as expanding into ready-to-wear fashion in 1978 and, in 2002, establishing a subsidiary company — Paraffection — dedicated to preserving the heritage skills of fashion artisan workshops. The House of Chanel still operates its flagship on rue Cambon in Paris, where it all began.
- UNWORN Classy Chanel Caramel Fantasy Tweed Jacket Blazer Skirt Business Suit 38By ChanelLocated in Switzerland, CHA true CHANEL signature suit hat will last you for many years So versatile - perfect business suit for day, vamp it up at night Beautiful caramel tweed f...Category
21st Century and Contemporary French Skirt Suits
- Margaretha Ley Escada Blue & Yellow Woven Silk & Wool Blend Skirt & Jacket SuitBy Escada Margaretha LeyLocated in Portland, ORThis is such a lovely vintage 2 piece woven silk and wool skirt suit with the Margaretha Ley Escada label. The fabric is so beautiful and makes a...Category
1990s German Skirt Suits$213 Sale Price49% Off
- Christian Dior By John Galliano S/S 2004 Monogram Logo Pants & Top 2 Piece SetBy John Galliano for Christian DiorLocated in Naples, FLChristian Dior By John Galliano S/S 2004 Pink Diorissimo Monogram Logo Pants & Top 2 Piece Set FR38/FR42 Christian Dior by John Galliano 2 Piece Set featuring the iconic Diorissimo ...Category
Early 2000s Suits, Outfits and Ensembles
- Pucci cotton print blouse & skirt set 1960sBy Emilio PucciLocated in West Palm Beach, FLPucci cotton print blouse & skirt set 1960st...Crisp white cotton with hot pink, yellow, purple and black print of ribbons, stars & wild looking birds...The long sleeve blouse button...Category
1960s Italian Skirt Suits
- Giorgio Armani Cream Floral Jacquard Tapered Vintage Trousers XSBy Giorgio ArmaniLocated in Dubai, Al Qouz 2These pretty trousers from Giorgio Armani will be a perfect addition to your collection. They come with tapered legs and a floral jacquard design all over. This cream-hued creation i...Category
2010s Italian Trouser Pant Suits
Recently ViewedView All
With a Wink, Karl Lagerfeld Sent This Egg-Carton-Shaped Chanel Bag Down the Runway
For the brand’s 2014–15 ready-to-wear show in Paris, the designer was inspired by a most unexpected place: the supermarket.
This Vintage Chanel Fur Muff Is Après-Ski Chic
It might not be as practical as a pair of mittens, but for something that looks this good, practicality really doesn't matter.