- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
2000s Gucci Gun Metal Stainless Steel Luggage Padlock with Key Set
About the Item
- Place of Origin:
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use.
- Seller Location:London, GB
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU2038218643922
Long before trend-bucking creative director Alessandro Michele brought his hallucinatory “Utopian Fantasy” campaign to Gucci, it was a modest Italian leather shop. Today, it’s an internationally renowned luxury house with an iconic logo, and vintage Gucci clothing, handbags and shoes are among high fashion's most covetable goods.
Guccio Gucci (1881–1953) admired the stylish suitcases he saw wealthy guests arrive with at the Savoy Hotel in London, where he worked as a bellhop. So, in 1921, after a stint at Franzi, a luggage company in his hometown of Florence, he opened a leather goods shop of his own.
At first, Gucci’s Florence business specialized in equestrian accessories. But as its reputation flourished, particularly among the English aristocracy, so too did its footprint. In 1938, he brought three of his sons — Aldo, Vasco and Rodolfo — into the business and expanded it to Rome and later Milan. In the mid-1930s, a League of Nations embargo against Italy pushed Gucci to experiment with alternatives to imported leather. Its woven hemp fabric from Naples, adorned with the brand’s signature diamond print, was a hit, especially among A-list celebrities. The material was first used on suitcases before finding enduring popularity on handbags. (No list of revered designer purses would be complete without Gucci.)
In the 1950s, Elizabeth Taylor carried one of Gucci’s bamboo-handled tote bags, another adaptation to material rationing. After Jackie Kennedy was seen sporting a slouchy Gucci tote in 1961, it was renamed for the First Lady. Then Grace Kelly, on a visit to the boutique in Milan, inspired Rodolfo Gucci to work with Italian illustrator and Gucci textile designer Vittorio Accornero on the Flora print in 1966. Taking cues from Sandro Botticelli’s Primavera, with its pattern of flora and insects, it was painted entirely by hand and featured no fewer than 37 colors.
In 1953, just 15 days after opening his first store on New York’s 5th Avenue, Guccio passed away at 72. The early 1970s saw store openings in Tokyo and Hong Kong, but by the late 1980s, Gucci was floundering. Rodolfo Gucci took charge in 1982, but family drama and lawsuits ensued. In 1993, Rodolfo’s son, Maurizio, transferred his shares in the company to Investcorp, ending the family’s involvement in Gucci. Dawn Mello, then-president of Bergdorf Goodman, joined as creative director in 1989. But it was Tom Ford, who took over as creative director in 1994, who ultimately revived the brand.
Ford’s racy ads, shot by photographers such as Mario Testino, stirred controversy. And his potent vision of sexed-up femininity — with “jewel-toned satin shirts unbuttoned to there,” as Vogue described his breakthrough 1995 runway show — was wildly successful. The new millennium brought new ownership — Pinault Printemps Redoute in 2004 — and a more toned-down vision from Frida Giannini, who became sole creative director in 2006. Alessandro Michele was named creative director in 2015, and the storied brand took a giant leap forward.
Find vintage Gucci clothing and accessories on 1stDibs.
Tom Ford for Gucci
No one understands sex appeal quite like Tom Ford, who joined Gucci as a womens-wear designer in 1990.
At the time, the internationally renowned Italian label was better known for leather goods than luxury fashion. It was also nearly bankrupt. After creative director Dawn Mello left in 1994, following a Bahrain-based investment group becoming Gucci’s majority shareholder, Ford was named creative director. The American designer soon infused the brand with a fresh sensuality and bold style.
Ford's potent vision of sexed-up femininity spanned everything from shirts to shoes to other accessories at Gucci — he reimagined the house's iconic double-ring-and-bar Horsebit hardware, a reference to the brand’s equestrian history, as a seductive low-slung belt, worn by Madonna when accepting an MTV video music award in 1995. For his fall show during that year, in which Kate Moss walked down the runway in an unbuttoned satin shirt, velvet hip-huggers and tousled hair, heralded an exciting, glammed-up era for the once fusty brand. Vogue critic Sarah Mower called it “one of those hitting-in-the-solar-plexus moments.”
As Ford shot to fame, he continued to explore plunging necklines, such as in the black and white looks of the Fall 1996 collection, and sumptuous fabrics like leather and tweed, with the Fall 2000 ready-to-wear collection ranging from sultry silk evening dresses to plush belted coats.
Ford also cranked up the seduction in the provocative ads for Gucci, particularly with regard to campaigns for Yves Saint Laurent, which the fashion house acquired in 1999 (Ford was also named creative director for YSL and designed the brand’s ready-to-wear collection). Gucci's Fall/Winter 1997 campaign featured Carolyn Murphy grasping Angela Lindvall in what looked like a video still; in another shot, a face pressed against a foot in a lipstick-red heel. Each promoted a vision of modern fashion where women were sexually confident, the materials were luxurious and the styles were fearless.
In 2004, Ford and Gucci president Domenico De Sole left the company after failing to agree on the renewal of their contracts. In 2006, with De Sole as chairman, Ford launched his wildly successful eponymous menswear label. Today Ford is also an author, film director and chairman of the Council of Fashion Designers of America.
Find vintage Tom Ford Gucci day dresses, jackets and handbags on 1stDibs.
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: London, United Kingdom
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 1 day of delivery.
- Mid-Century Church's Steel Shoe Tree StretchersBy Church'sLocated in London, GBMid-Century Church's Silver Tone Shoe Tree Stretchers, shiny silver tone metal, engraved front logo, manual adjustable length Condition: English Mid-Cen...Category
1970s British Shoes$135No Reserve
- 2000s Tom Ford by Gucci Large Multicolor Leather Shoulder BagBy Gucci, Tom Ford for GucciLocated in London, GB2000s Tom Ford by Gucci Large Multicolor Leather Shoulder Bag, Top zip closure, 2 front zipped pockets, white, black, brown leather, side zipped pockets, houndstooth print lining, in...Category
Early 2000s Italian Hobo Bags
- 2000s Gucci Blondie Studded Small Hobo Bag in Black LeatherBy Tom Ford for GucciLocated in London, GBTom Ford for Gucci small Blondie Hobo Bag, crafted of luxurious black leather and features a looping, side to side shoulder strap with polished light brass links and an adjustment bu...Category
Early 2000s Italian Hobo Bags
- 1980s Gucci Web Chrome Table LighterBy GucciLocated in London, GBA rare vintage 1980s Gucci Italian table lighter in Lucite acrylic and metal chrome, stamped Gucci Made in Italy on the base. It splits in the middle as a vacuum hidden space for cigarettes or whatever you wish tucked away. It releases with a twist and has a Lucite push rod that is spring driven. The top s a Ronson lighter...Category
1980s For The Table
- 1980s Gucci Accornero Print Linen Placemat SetBy GucciLocated in London, GBRare Gucci Accornero print linen placemat set of 2, blue outline, the set comes with 2 matching napkins, Made in Italy Condition: vintage 1980s, e...Category
1980s Italian For The Table
- 1980s Gucci Wooden Web Stripe Boot JackBy GucciLocated in London, GBAn exceptional piece from the very core of Gucci House, this boot jack is made of wood, featuring leather trim, original cloth leather stripe, gold tone...Category
1980s Italian Decorative Objects
- Gucci Black GG Marmont Matelasse Leather Mini BagBy GucciLocated in Chillerton, Isle of WightMatelasse chevron leather with a heart on the back. Antiqued gold-toned hardware. Double G. Gold-toned shoulder chain, drop 24'', fits invisibly inside the bag which doubles it up as a clutch bag. Foldover top with magnet snap fastener. Internal Gucci key chain...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Evening Bags and Minaudières
- Chanel Red Leather Belt, 1990-2000s Pristine Condition, Never Worn.By ChanelLocated in Buchanan, MIChanel Red Leather Belt, 1990-2000s Pristine Condition, Never Worn. Red Leather Buckel With Chanel Stamp.Category
20th Century Belts
- 2000s Dolce & Gabbana Pink Denim JacketBy Dolce & GabbanaLocated in Lugo (RA), ITDolce & Gabbana black stretch sleeveless minimal dress, featuring a front boat neck and a back V-neck. Zip fastening on the back. This essential piece...Category
1990s Italian Day Dresses
- 2000s Emanuel Ungaro Linen Cream JAcket with fringesBy Emanuel UngaroLocated in Capri, IT2000s Emanuel Ungaro Linen Cream JAcket with fringes Composition: 87% linen 13% polyammide Italian size range 42 Dry clean only no lining insideCategory
1990s Italian Jackets$242 Sale Price20% Off
- Chanel Black Leather Vintage Speedy BagBy ChanelLocated in Palm Beach, FLThis authentic Chanel Black Leather Vintage Speedy Bag is in excellent condition. A timeless piece from the early 1990’s, it has maintained its status as a true classic. Black leather duffel style handbag is flat stitched in signature Chanel diamond pattern. Top zipper accesses the roomy black leather interior. Carried by the double rolled leather top handles. Made in Italy. Chanel padlock...Category
1990s Italian Top Handle Bags
- Vintage Hattie Carnegie Turquoise Beaded Tasseled Cluster NecklaceBy Hattie CarnegieLocated in North Miami, FLThis gorgeous and versatile vintage long necklace is signed Hattie Carnegie. It is from the 70's. Turquoise beaded and braided gold tone tass...Category
Vintage 1970s American Modern Chain NecklacesMaterials
- Vintage MOSCHINO Suede Novelty Padlock JacketBy MoschinoLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage MOSCHINO Suede Novelty Padlock Jacket Measurements taken laid flat, please double bust and waist: Shoulder: 16.53 inches (42 cm) Sleeves: 24 inches (61 cm) Bust: 19.88 inche...Category
1980s Italian Jackets
- Emerald Green Faceted Glass and Sterling Silver Art Deco Chicklet NecklaceLocated in North Miami, FLThis stunning and versatile vintage green emerald faceted glass wrap chicklet necklace is of the Art Deco era. The silver is sterling. The faceted green glass is rectangular. One can...Category
Vintage 1930s American Art Deco Link NecklacesMaterials
Sterling Silver$2,500Free Shipping
- 2000s Aquascutum Beige Cotton Blue Checked Long SkirtBy AquascutumLocated in Brindisi, BtAquascutum classic vintage skirt, beige and blu checked, 95% cotton 4% polyamide 1% elastene. Pockets on the sides, zip and button closure. 2000s. Made in England Size: 42 It 8 Us 1...Category
1990s English Flare Skirts
- 2000s Dolce & Gabbana Black Patent Leather Heel Shoes DecolleteBy Dolce & GabbanaLocated in Brindisi, BtDolce & Gabbana vintage women's shoes. Decollete black, 100% patent leather. High heel, closure with adjustable band. Code: 1196.2000s. Made in Italy. Excellent vintage conditions. ...Category
1990s Italian Shoes
- Italian Vintage Leather Hatbox w StickersLocated in Milano, ITElegant and well finished Italian leather hatbox from circa 1930. The hatbox is in very good condition. On the sides we can see some sti- ckers of the time where you can see the trav...Category
1930s Italian Luggage Rack
- Amazing & Rare Louis Vuitton Hat Trunk in Brown Monogram stencil canvasBy Louis VuittonLocated in Paris, IDFLouis Vuitton hat Trunk in Monogram stencil canvas Leather trim Solid Brass Jewelry Beige interior (reclined) Original leather handle Nails marked LV Signature: Louis Vuitton champs...Category
1920s French Trunks and Luggage
- Collectible Louis Vuitton Cabin Vanity Case in monogram CanvasBy Louis VuittonLocated in Paris, IDFVERY RARE & COLLECTIBLE Vanity case "commode" from the luxury brand Louis Vuitton • His monogram canvas is stencilled, • This is not a recent vanity case with printed canvas! • The h...Category
20th Century French Trunks and Luggage
- Amazing Louis Vuitton "Cartier" automobile flat Trunk in black canvas,Circa 1920By Louis VuittonLocated in Paris, IDFRARE LOUIS VUITTON AUTO TRUNK Louis Vuitton Automobile Flat Trunk • Original black coated canvas • Its LV labeled angles, made of black lozine (vulcanized paper fibre...Category
1920s French Trunks and Luggage
- Amazing Louis Vuitton Courrier in brown stencil Monogram canvas Trunk Circa 1914By Louis VuittonLocated in Paris, IDFLOUIS VUITTON, Circa 1914 Splendid Louis Vuitton Monogram Courrier/Mail Trunk with Stencil, Solid Brass Hardware, Central Lock Numbered 033094, 3 Wood Front Reinforcements, Metal Han...Category
1910s French Trunks and Luggage
- Amazing "Aux Etats-Unis" vintage Trunk in brown canvas, Circa 1900'sLocated in Paris, IDFMALLE COURRIER "AUX ETATS UNIS" 229 RUE SAINT HONORÉ 75001 PARIS Exterior in brown canvas, signed brass metal parts. Interior in white canvas. Inside carries a label of the house "I...Category
Early 20th Century French Trunks and Luggage
Recently ViewedView More
The Stories behind the Most Famous Luxury Fashion Logos
From Chanel to YSL, the logos of some legacy fashion houses spark instant brand recognition and have come to symbolize a kind of luxury that feels at once aspirational and attainable.
14 Iconic Luxury Handbags and the Stories behind Them
When the name of a bag is as well-known as its brand, you know it's a classic.
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery