- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Exotic Burgundy Gucci Fur & Lizard Skin Bag with Crystal-Encrusted Clasp
- Place of OriginItaly
- ConditionWear consistent with age and use. Perfect condition, never worn, some fine hairline scratches on metal details, showroom piece.
- Seller LocationSwitzerland, CH
- Reference NumberSeller: GUCFURCLUTBURG1stDibs: LU41631900663
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: DXB, United Arab Emirates
- Return Policy
This item cannot be returned.
About the Manufacturer
Long before trend-bucking creative director Alessandro Michele brought his hallucinatory “Utopian Fantasy” campaign to Gucci, it was a modest Italian leather shop. Today, it’s an internationally renowned luxury house with an iconic logo, and vintage Gucci clothing, handbags and shoes are among high fashion's most covetable goods.
Guccio Gucci (1881–1953) admired the stylish suitcases he saw wealthy guests arrive with at the Savoy Hotel in London, where he worked as a bellhop. So, in 1921, after a stint at Franzi, a luggage company in his hometown of Florence, he opened a leather goods shop of his own.
At first, Gucci’s Florence business specialized in equestrian accessories. But as its reputation flourished, particularly among the English aristocracy, so too did its footprint. In 1938, he brought three of his sons — Aldo, Vasco and Rodolfo — into the business and expanded it to Rome and later Milan. In the mid-1930s, a League of Nations embargo against Italy pushed Gucci to experiment with alternatives to imported leather. Its woven hemp fabric from Naples, adorned with the brand’s signature diamond print, was a hit, especially among A-list celebrities. The material was first used on suitcases before finding enduring popularity on handbags. (No list of revered designer purses would be complete without Gucci.)
In the 1950s, Elizabeth Taylor carried one of Gucci’s bamboo-handled tote bags, another adaptation to material rationing. After Jackie Kennedy was seen sporting a slouchy Gucci tote in 1961, it was renamed for the First Lady. Then Grace Kelly, on a visit to the boutique in Milan, inspired Rodolfo Gucci to work with Italian illustrator and Gucci textile designer Vittorio Accornero on the Flora print in 1966. Taking cues from Sandro Botticelli’s Primavera, with its pattern of flora and insects, it was painted entirely by hand and featured no fewer than 37 colors.
In 1953, just 15 days after opening his first store on New York’s 5th Avenue, Guccio passed away at 72. The early 1970s saw store openings in Tokyo and Hong Kong, but by the late 1980s, Gucci was floundering. Rodolfo Gucci took charge in 1982, but family drama and lawsuits ensued. In 1993, Rodolfo’s son, Maurizio, transferred his shares in the company to Investcorp, ending the family’s involvement in Gucci. Dawn Mello, then-president of Bergdorf Goodman, joined as creative director in 1989. But it was Tom Ford, who took over as creative director in 1994, who ultimately revived the brand.
Ford’s racy ads, shot by photographers such as Mario Testino, stirred controversy. And his potent vision of sexed-up femininity — with “jewel-toned satin shirts unbuttoned to there,” as Vogue described his breakthrough 1995 runway show — was wildly successful. The new millennium brought new ownership — Pinault Printemps Redoute in 2004 — and a more toned-down vision from Frida Giannini, who became sole creative director in 2006. Alessandro Michele was named creative director in 2015, and the storied brand took a giant leap forward.
Find vintage Gucci clothing and accessories on 1stDibs.
- NEW Gucci by Tom Ford Black Dragon Pearl Jeweled Mink Fur Evening Bag ClutchBy Gucci, Tom Ford for GucciLocated in Switzerland, CHEXTREMELY RARE GUCCI BY TOM FORD GORGEOUS FUR EVENING BAG WITH STUNNING JEWELED DRAGON DETAIL DETAILS: A GUCCI signature piece that will last you for many years From one of GUCC...Category
Early 2000s Italian Clutches
- NEW Gucci by Tom Ford 2004 Dragon Pearl Jeweled Mink Fur Purse ClutchBy Gucci, Tom Ford for GucciLocated in Switzerland, CHEXTREMELY RARE GUCCI BY TOM FORD GORGEOUS MINK FUR EVENING BAG WITH STUNNING JEWELED DRAGON DETAIL DETAILS: A GUCCI signature piece that will last you for many years From one of...Category
Early 2000s Italian Clutches
- GUCCI by Tom Ford Velvet GG Logo Exotic Lizard Skin Horsebit XXL Clutch BagBy Gucci, Tom Ford for GucciLocated in Switzerland, CHA Gucci by Tom Ford Evening Bag Limited Edition only sold in selected Gucci flagship stores Beautiful eggplant velvet with the famous GG logo monogram Exotic lizard skin trimmings -...Category
Early 2000s Italian Clutches$3,999 Sale Price20% Off
- UNIQUE Gucci Tom Ford 2003/04 Black Lizard Crystallized Horsebit Clutch BagBy Gucci, Tom Ford for GucciLocated in Switzerland, CHBeautiful Black Gucci Flap Bag A timeless Gucci piece with the signature horsebit detail Luxurious black lizard skin - no print Fully lined with nappa leather One inner pocket Golden...Category
Early 2000s Italian Evening Bags and Minaudières
- EXOTIC Gucci Embroidered Braid Handle Bamboo Lock Evening Bag PurseBy GucciLocated in Switzerland, CHA GUCCI signature piece that will last you for many years Timeless classic - a true beauty! Very rare Collector's item - only very few pieces were made and sold in selected boutiques...Category
Early 2000s Italian Clutches$899 Sale Price64% Off
- Gorgeous Black Gucci GG Monogram Beaded Crystal Exotic Skin Horsebit Bag ClutchBy GucciLocated in Switzerland, CHA Gucci signature piece in the famous GG Monogram Beautiful beaded jet black bag From the exotic collection with real lizard skin trimmings Famous Gucci signature horsebit design Wh...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Clutches
- Gucci mini bamboo handle wallet/ crossbodyBy GucciLocated in Bilbao, ESGucci Black Nylon Bamboo Handle Mini Wallet Handbag Material Nylon Color Black Length 18 cm /7,08 inches Height 12 cm/ 4,72 inches Authentic Gucci Mini Wallet Hanbag in black ny...Category
1990s Italian Evening Bags and Minaudières
- S/S 2003 Gucci by Tom Ford Cherry Blossom Kimono Embroidered Silk Mini Frame BagBy Tom Ford, GucciLocated in Philadelphia, PATheRealList presents: a stunning cherry blossom flower embroidered silk Gucci mini frame bag, designed by Tom Ford. This bag from the Spring/Summer 2003 collection prominently featur...Category
Early 2000s Italian Evening Bags and Minaudières$1,871 Sale Price25% Off
- F/W 2004 Gucci by Tom Ford Black Lizard Rhinestone Dragon Chain Mini Bag RunwayBy Gucci, Tom Ford for GucciLocated in Philadelphia, PATheRealList presents: a fabulous black lizard skin mini F/W 2004 Gucci bag with a dragon accent, designed by Tom Ford. This petite bag can be used as a mini bag or as a clutch when t...Category
Early 2000s Italian Evening Bags and Minaudières$4,462 Sale Price25% Off
- S/S 1998 Gucci by Tom Ford Crystal 'GG' Rhinestone G Buckle Shoulder Bag ClutchBy Gucci, Tom Ford for GucciLocated in Philadelphia, PATheRealList presents: THE Gucci by Tom Ford bag. From the Spring/Summer 1998 collection, this shoulder bag/clutch features a black satin body with Gucci's 'GG' logo in two-tones of r...Category
1990s Italian Clutches$14,996 Sale Price25% OffFree Shipping
- S/S 1987 Gucci Black Alligator Documented Chain Crossbody ClutchBy GucciLocated in Philadelphia, PATheRealList presents: a stunning black Gucci crocodile skin convertible crossbody. This beautiful bag is constructed entirely of crocodile leather and is finished with gold accent ha...Category
1980s Italian Evening Bags and Minaudières$3,712 Sale Price25% OffFree Shipping
- 2000s Gucci by Tom Ford Mini Reins Purple Lizard Silk Satin Rhinestone Thong BagBy Tom Ford for Gucci, GucciLocated in Philadelphia, PATheRealList presents: a rare purple silk, rhinestone, and karung snakeskin mini reins bag by Tom Ford for Gucci. This early 2000's bag features a 'GG' accent at the front meant to em...Category
Early 2000s Italian Evening Bags and Minaudières$937 Sale Price25% Off
Recently ViewedView More
The Stories behind the Most Famous Luxury Fashion Logos
From Chanel to YSL, the logos of some legacy fashion houses spark instant brand recognition and have come to symbolize a kind of luxury that feels at once aspirational and attainable.
14 Iconic Luxury Handbags and the Stories behind Them
When the name of a bag is as well-known as its brand, you know it's a classic.