Rare GUCCI by Tom Ford 2000 Exotic Skin Clutch Bag Purse with Chain Strap
About the Item
- Place of Origin:Italy
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use. The bag is in absolute stunning & perfect collectable condition with soft exotic leather and shiny hardware.
- Seller Location:Switzerland, CH
- Reference Number:Seller: GUC2000PYTBG1stDibs: LU416313755342
Tom Ford for Gucci
No one understands sex appeal quite like Tom Ford, who joined Gucci as a womens-wear designer in 1990.
At the time, the internationally renowned Italian label was better known for leather goods than luxury fashion. It was also nearly bankrupt. After creative director Dawn Mello left in 1994, following a Bahrain-based investment group becoming Gucci’s majority shareholder, Ford was named creative director. The American designer soon infused the brand with a fresh sensuality and bold style.
Ford's potent vision of sexed-up femininity spanned everything from shirts to shoes to other accessories at Gucci — he reimagined the house's iconic double-ring-and-bar Horsebit hardware, a reference to the brand’s equestrian history, as a seductive low-slung belt, worn by Madonna when accepting an MTV video music award in 1995. For his fall show during that year, in which Kate Moss walked down the runway in an unbuttoned satin shirt, velvet hip-huggers and tousled hair, heralded an exciting, glammed-up era for the once fusty brand. Vogue critic Sarah Mower called it “one of those hitting-in-the-solar-plexus moments.”
As Ford shot to fame, he continued to explore plunging necklines, such as in the black and white looks of the Fall 1996 collection, and sumptuous fabrics like leather and tweed, with the Fall 2000 ready-to-wear collection ranging from sultry silk evening dresses to plush belted coats.
Ford also cranked up the seduction in the provocative ads for Gucci, particularly with regard to campaigns for Yves Saint Laurent, which the fashion house acquired in 1999 (Ford was also named creative director for YSL and designed the brand’s ready-to-wear collection). Gucci's Fall/Winter 1997 campaign featured Carolyn Murphy grasping Angela Lindvall in what looked like a video still; in another shot, a face pressed against a foot in a lipstick-red heel. Each promoted a vision of modern fashion where women were sexually confident, the materials were luxurious and the styles were fearless.
In 2004, Ford and Gucci president Domenico De Sole left the company after failing to agree on the renewal of their contracts. In 2006, with De Sole as chairman, Ford launched his wildly successful eponymous menswear label. Today Ford is also an author, film director and chairman of the Council of Fashion Designers of America.
Find vintage Tom Ford Gucci day dresses, jackets and handbags on 1stDibs.
Long before trend-bucking creative director Alessandro Michele brought his hallucinatory “Utopian Fantasy” campaign to Gucci, it was a modest Italian leather shop. Today, it’s an internationally renowned luxury house with an iconic logo, and vintage Gucci clothing, handbags and shoes are among high fashion's most covetable goods.
Guccio Gucci (1881–1953) admired the stylish suitcases he saw wealthy guests arrive with at the Savoy Hotel in London, where he worked as a bellhop. So, in 1921, after a stint at Franzi, a luggage company in his hometown of Florence, he opened a leather goods shop of his own.
At first, Gucci’s Florence business specialized in equestrian accessories. But as its reputation flourished, particularly among the English aristocracy, so too did its footprint. In 1938, he brought three of his sons — Aldo, Vasco and Rodolfo — into the business and expanded it to Rome and later Milan. In the mid-1930s, a League of Nations embargo against Italy pushed Gucci to experiment with alternatives to imported leather. Its woven hemp fabric from Naples, adorned with the brand’s signature diamond print, was a hit, especially among A-list celebrities. The material was first used on suitcases before finding enduring popularity on handbags. (No list of revered designer purses would be complete without Gucci.)
In the 1950s, Elizabeth Taylor carried one of Gucci’s bamboo-handled tote bags, another adaptation to material rationing. After Jackie Kennedy was seen sporting a slouchy Gucci tote in 1961, it was renamed for the First Lady. Then Grace Kelly, on a visit to the boutique in Milan, inspired Rodolfo Gucci to work with Italian illustrator and Gucci textile designer Vittorio Accornero on the Flora print in 1966. Taking cues from Sandro Botticelli’s Primavera, with its pattern of flora and insects, it was painted entirely by hand and featured no fewer than 37 colors.
In 1953, just 15 days after opening his first store on New York’s 5th Avenue, Guccio passed away at 72. The early 1970s saw store openings in Tokyo and Hong Kong, but by the late 1980s, Gucci was floundering. Rodolfo Gucci took charge in 1982, but family drama and lawsuits ensued. In 1993, Rodolfo’s son, Maurizio, transferred his shares in the company to Investcorp, ending the family’s involvement in Gucci. Dawn Mello, then-president of Bergdorf Goodman, joined as creative director in 1989. But it was Tom Ford, who took over as creative director in 1994, who ultimately revived the brand.
Ford’s racy ads, shot by photographers such as Mario Testino, stirred controversy. And his potent vision of sexed-up femininity — with “jewel-toned satin shirts unbuttoned to there,” as Vogue described his breakthrough 1995 runway show — was wildly successful. The new millennium brought new ownership — Pinault Printemps Redoute in 2004 — and a more toned-down vision from Frida Giannini, who became sole creative director in 2006. Alessandro Michele was named creative director in 2015, and the storied brand took a giant leap forward.
Find vintage Gucci clothing and accessories on 1stDibs.
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: DXB, United Arab Emirates
- Return Policy
This item cannot be returned.
- NEW Emilio Pucci by Peter Dundas Embellished Sequin Eagle Head Clutch BagBy Emilio PucciLocated in Switzerland, CHStunning evening clutch designed by Peter Dundas for Emilio Pucci Embroidered in cheetah pattern with sequins and pearls Eagle head closure clasp Finest nude silk Gold-colored hardwa...Category
2010s Italian Clutches
- GUCCI Gold Metallic GG Monogram Beaded Bag Purse with Bamboo HandlesBy GucciLocated in Switzerland, CHA limited edition bag by Gucci A signature piece in the famous GG Monogram Beautiful beaded Gucci bag in golden color Gucci Bamboo design handles and closure push lock Frame discreet...Category
Early 2000s Italian Clutches$3,999 Sale Price20% Off
- LIMITED EDITION Christian Dior by John Galliano Embroidery Saddle Bag & MirrorBy Christian Dior, John Galliano for Christian DiorLocated in Switzerland, CHA rare Christian Dior mini evening saddle bag designed by John Galliano From a collectable, limited edition Get this true jewel to upgrade your outfit - a superbe "arm-candy" Stunning gold-tone paisely embroidery on the front - pure perfection! Stunning shiny burgundy-colored silk Gold-Tone Hardware, engraved with CD Dior's logo "D" in front, engraved with CD Chain-Link handle with signature "CD" letters Dior logo Lining Snap closure at side Comes with matching DIOR compact...Category
Early 2000s French Evening Bags and Minaudières$3,599 Sale Price20% Off
- UNWORN Gucci by Tom Ford 2004 Monogram Canvas Jeweled Dragon Bag Bamboo ChainBy Gucci, Tom Ford for GucciLocated in Switzerland, CHA GUCCI signature piece that will last you for many years From one of GUCCI's most stunning collections Very rare collectible item Made of the famous GG monogram canvas fabric with huge handcrafted jeweled dragon head enamel detail - a truly luxurious and elegant piece Purple leather trimming With gold-colored hardware Heavy golden chains in GUCCI's classic bamboo design Completely lined with brown fabric One side pocket inside Made in Italy Leather tag...Category
Early 2000s Italian Evening Bags and Minaudières
- GUCCI by Tom Ford Velvet GG Logo Exotic Lizard Skin Horsebit XXL Clutch BagBy Gucci, Tom Ford for GucciLocated in Switzerland, CHA Gucci by Tom Ford Evening Bag Limited Edition only sold in selected Gucci flagship stores Beautiful eggplant velvet with the famous GG logo monogram Ex...Category
Early 2000s Italian Clutches
- Exotic Burgundy Gucci Fur & Lizard Skin Bag with Crystal-Encrusted ClaspBy GucciLocated in Switzerland, CHA GUCCI signature piece that will last you for many years Very rare Collector's item Only very few pieces were made and sold in selected boutiques Made of beautiful burgundy fur...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Evening Bags and Minaudières
- HERMES Egee Taupe Tan Ficelle Lizard Exotic Leather Silver Chaine Clutch BagBy HermèsLocated in Chicago, ILPre-Owned Vintage Condition From 2014 Collection Lizard Silver Tone Hardware Leather Lining Measures 9.75" W x 4" H x 2" D Includes Dust Bag and Box 100% Authenticity GuaranteedCategory
21st Century and Contemporary Clutches$13,540 Sale Price20% Off
- Judith Leiber Beige Python with Tiger's Eye and Garnet Stones Evening BagBy Judith LeiberLocated in New York, NYJudith Leiber's wonderfully detailed beige python evening clutch has the optional use of a evening shoulder bag with their removable straps of python and gold hardware. Th...Category
1990s Italian Evening Bags and Minaudières
- French Art Deco Coral Rose Evening Clutch BagLocated in New York, NYFrench Art Deco Anglo Indian evening clutch bag composed of a patchwork of 19th century silk lame sari fabrics of various floral patterns with clasp of a...Category
1920s French Evening Bags and Minaudières
- Rhinestone Jewel Clasp Pink Metallic Brocade Evening Clutch Handbag 1970sLocated in West Palm Beach, FLRhinestone jewel clasp pink metallic brocade evening clutch handbag from the 1970s. This beautiful bag is perfect for anyone who likes something exotic and...Category
1970s Unknown Clutches
- 1950s Large Gold Beaded Silk Hong Kong Made Vintage 50s Evening Clutch Purse BagLocated in San Diego, CABeautiful 1950s golden fully beaded evening clutch ! Features thousands of hand-sewn beads throughout the entire bag. Lined in yellow satin. One ...Category
1950s Hong Kong Clutches
- CHANEL Clutch Pink Multicolor Python Leather Flap Shoulder Bag Added ChainBy ChanelLocated in Freehold, NJPre-Owned 100% Authentic CHANEL Pink Multicolor Python Flap Clutch Bag W/Added Non Chanel Chain to use as a Shoulder Bag Please Note Chain lies under flap, it is not attached RATING...Category
Early 2000s Italian Evening Bags and Minaudières
- Charles Pfister for Knoll Club Chair in Cognac LeatherBy Charles Pfister, KnollLocated in Waalwijk, NLCharles Pfister for Knoll International, lounge chair, leather, United States, 1970s This lounge chair is designed as part of a lounge collection in 1971 bij Charles Pfister. Exe...Category
Vintage 1970s American Post-Modern Club ChairsMaterials
- Portrait of Juliette Gréco, Pierre Piget, 1950Located in Saint ouen, FRPortrait of Juliette Gréco - Pierre Piget Oil on isorel signed and dated lower right Numbered on the back : 61 Dimensions with frame : 73 x 84cm S...Category
Vintage 1950s PaintingsMaterials
- Hermes Mini Lindy Magnolia Swift BNIBBy HermèsLocated in West Hollywood, CAHermes brand new in box mini lindy magnolia swift leather with palladium hardware. Date stamp U, 2022. Coveted new size , can be worn in three ways, also cr...Category
2010s French Shoulder Bags
- Cartier Ballon Bleu Steel Yellow Gold Ladies Watch W69007Z3 Box PapersBy CartierLocated in Atlanta, GACartier Ballon Bleu 28mm Steel Yellow Gold Ladies Watch W69007Z3 Box Papers. Quartz movement. Round stainless steel case 28.0 mm in diameter....Category
21st Century and Contemporary Wrist WatchesMaterials
Steel, Yellow Gold$5,367Free Shipping
- Swedish Designer, Sconce, Brass, Red-Lacquered Metal, Sweden, c. 1950sLocated in High Point, NCA brass and red-lacquered metal sconce designed and produced in Sweden, c. 1950s.Category
Vintage 1950s Swedish Scandinavian Modern Wall Lights and SconcesMaterials
Recently ViewedView More
The Stories behind the Most Famous Luxury Fashion Logos
From Chanel to YSL, the logos of some legacy fashion houses spark instant brand recognition and have come to symbolize a kind of luxury that feels at once aspirational and attainable.
14 Iconic Luxury Handbags and the Stories behind Them
When the name of a bag is as well-known as its brand, you know it's a classic.
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery