Gucci 30cm Pink Leather Jackie 1961 Hobo Shoulder Bag
About the Item
Long before trend-bucking creative director Alessandro Michele brought his hallucinatory “Utopian Fantasy” campaign to Gucci, it was a modest Italian leather shop. Today, it’s an internationally renowned luxury house with an iconic logo, and vintage Gucci clothing, handbags and shoes are among high fashion's most covetable goods.
Guccio Gucci (1881–1953) admired the stylish suitcases he saw wealthy guests arrive with at the Savoy Hotel in London, where he worked as a bellhop. So, in 1921, after a stint at Franzi, a luggage company in his hometown of Florence, he opened a leather goods shop of his own.
At first, Gucci’s Florence business specialized in equestrian accessories. But as its reputation flourished, particularly among the English aristocracy, so too did its footprint. In 1938, he brought three of his sons — Aldo, Vasco and Rodolfo — into the business and expanded it to Rome and later Milan. In the mid-1930s, a League of Nations embargo against Italy pushed Gucci to experiment with alternatives to imported leather. Its woven hemp fabric from Naples, adorned with the brand’s signature diamond print, was a hit, especially among A-list celebrities. The material was first used on suitcases before finding enduring popularity on handbags. (No list of revered designer purses would be complete without Gucci.)
In the 1950s, Elizabeth Taylor carried one of Gucci’s bamboo-handled tote bags, another adaptation to material rationing. After Jackie Kennedy was seen sporting a slouchy Gucci tote in 1961, it was renamed for the First Lady. Then Grace Kelly, on a visit to the boutique in Milan, inspired Rodolfo Gucci to work with Italian illustrator and Gucci textile designer Vittorio Accornero on the Flora print in 1966. Taking cues from Sandro Botticelli’s Primavera, with its pattern of flora and insects, it was painted entirely by hand and featured no fewer than 37 colors.
In 1953, just 15 days after opening his first store on New York’s 5th Avenue, Guccio passed away at 72. The early 1970s saw store openings in Tokyo and Hong Kong, but by the late 1980s, Gucci was floundering. Rodolfo Gucci took charge in 1982, but family drama and lawsuits ensued. In 1993, Rodolfo’s son, Maurizio, transferred his shares in the company to Investcorp, ending the family’s involvement in Gucci. Dawn Mello, then-president of Bergdorf Goodman, joined as creative director in 1989. But it was Tom Ford, who took over as creative director in 1994, who ultimately revived the brand.
Ford’s racy ads, shot by photographers such as Mario Testino, stirred controversy. And his potent vision of sexed-up femininity — with “jewel-toned satin shirts unbuttoned to there,” as Vogue described his breakthrough 1995 runway show — was wildly successful. The new millennium brought new ownership — Pinault Printemps Redoute in 2004 — and a more toned-down vision from Frida Giannini, who became sole creative director in 2006. Alessandro Michele was named creative director in 2015, and the storied brand took a giant leap forward.
Find vintage Gucci clothing and accessories on 1stDibs.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Sheung Wan, Hong Kong
- Return PolicyThis item cannot be returned.
- Gucci Pink Leather Jackie 1961 Hobo Shoulder BagBy GucciLocated in Sheung Wan, HK- Gucci pink leather jackie 1961 hobo shoulder bag. You can also carry it like a handbag. - Silver-toned hardware. - Interior: 1 open pocket and 1 zipper pocket - Size: Length: ...Category
2010s Italian Hobo Bags
- Chanel Black Quilted Suede Handle HandbagBy ChanelLocated in Sheung Wan, HK- Chanel black quilted suede leather handle handbag from 1994 to 1996. - "Chanel" gold toned hardware zip closure. - Exterior gold toned hardware “CC” turnlock flap closure. - ...Category
1990s French Top Handle Bags
- Vintage Chanel Embossed CC Logo Navy Quilted Lambskin Shoulder bagBy ChanelLocated in Sheung Wan, HK- Vintage Chanel navy quilted lambskin shoulder bag from year 1996 to 1997. - Embossed CC logo. - Exterior slip pockets on both side. - Gold hardware "Chanel" logo zip closure ...Category
1990s Italian Shoulder Bags
- Chanel Black Patent Leather Quilted Silver "CC" Turnlock Flap Shoulder BagBy ChanelLocated in Sheung Wan, HK- Vintage Chanel black patent leather quilted flap shoulder/hand bag. - Silver "CC" hardware turnlock flap. - Trapezoid Shape. - Back slip pocket. - One interior zip closure ...Category
1990s French Shoulder Bags
- Unused Chanel Silver Metallic Leather Micro Mini Chain Belt BagBy ChanelLocated in Sheung Wan, HK- Unused Vintage Chanel silver metallic leather micro mini chain belt bag from year 1997 to 1999 collection (Serial 5). - Flap and push button closure. - Length: 3.75 inches. H...Category
1990s French Belt Bags
- Unique 80s Andrea Pfister Orange Yellow Suede HandbagBy Andrea PfisterLocated in Sheung Wan, HK- Vintage 80s Andrea Pfister orange yellow suede handbag. - Featuring a gold toned kiss lock closure, open up to gold leather interior with two slip pockets. - Gold toned hardwar...Category
1980s Italian Top Handle Bags
- Hermes Mini Kelly 20cm Mauve VIP Epsom Shoulder Bag, U Stamp, 2022By HermèsLocated in New York, NYChicjoy is pleased to present this stunning Hermes Mini Kelly 20cm in Mauve VIP Epsom Shoulder Bag, U Stamp, 2022 Just purchased from Hermes store; ba...Category
21st Century and Contemporary French Shoulder Bags
- Hermes Mini Kelly 20cm Vert Jade VIP Epsom Gold Shoulder Bag, Z Stamp, 2021By HermèsLocated in New York, NYChicjoy is pleased to present this Hermes Mini Kelly 20cm Vert Jade VIP Epsom Gold Hardware Just purchased from Hermes store; bag bears new 2021 Z Stamp. Brand New in Box. Store Fre...Category
21st Century and Contemporary French Shoulder Bags
- EXOTIC Salvatore Ferragamo Matte Taupe Python Snake Skin Tote Top Handle BagBy Salvatore FerragamoLocated in Switzerland, CHThis Salvatore Ferragamo bag is the height of understated elegance. Made of precious skins, this refined handbag will elevate any daywear look. The front has an antique golden Gancio...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Shoulder Bags
- RARE Louis Vuitton Exotic Alligator Ostrich Monogram Canvas Ombre Top Handle BagBy Louis VuittonLocated in Switzerland, CHAn extremely rare Louis Vuitton piece A works of art with an extremely limited run Ultra-rare bag crafted in exotic Bordeaux alligator skin, mustard colored snakeskin and light brow...Category
21st Century and Contemporary French Top Handle Bags
- 2012 Hermès Kelly 35 Ghillies Evercalf Rose Texas/Rouge HBy HermèsLocated in Torre Del Greco, ITBag by Hermès, Kelly Ghillies model, size 35, made of evercalf leather, smooth and soft to the touch, in the two-tone Rose Texas and Rouge H colourway. Equipped with a flap with inte...Category
2010s Top Handle Bags
Recently ViewedView All
Explore a Century of Gucci Fashion in London
The iconic Italian label’s traveling exhibition has just arrived in London.
The Stories behind the Most Famous Luxury Fashion Logos
From Chanel to YSL, the logos of some legacy fashion houses spark instant brand recognition and have come to symbolize a kind of luxury that feels at once aspirational and attainable.