Chanel Black Quilted Suede Handle Handbag
About the Item
In the years following the opening of her modest millinery shop, Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel became a pivotal designer of both fashionable casual wear and Paris haute couture as well as an icon and arbiter of 20th-century style with her bob haircut and pearls. Today vintage Chanel handbags, jackets and evening dresses are among the most sought-after clothing and accessories for fashion lovers all over the world.
The first Chanel shop was established in 1910 in Paris on rue Cambon by the young milliner Gabrielle Chanel (1883–1971), who had picked up the nickname “Coco” while working as a club singer. The boutique drew the attention of the Parisian fashion elite who popularized her wide-brimmed Chanel Modes hats. Soon she added a sportswear store in the Normandy resort town of Deauville, where Coco set the tone for her defining sense of style — traditionally masculine garments reimagined for feminine shapes, made from simple jersey fabric.
Effortless and elegant, Chanel's designs promoted comfort and grace in women’s wear that had been dominated in the previous century by complicated layers of fabric and cumbersome corsets. She followed this success with a couture house, opened in 1915 in Biarritz.
But Chanel was not born into a life of glamour. Following the death of her mother, her father left her in an orphanage where she lived until the age of 18. It was there that she learned to sew as well as appreciate the classic pairing of black and white as worn by the nuns. In 1926, she introduced her first little black dress, reclaiming a color that had once been reserved for mourning and working-class women. That same decade, she debuted her perfume, Chanel No. 5, as well as the Chanel suit with a fitted skirt, inspired by the boxy lines of men’s clothing and employing a sporty tweed.
Chanel closed her fashion operations during World War II, then returned to the industry in 1954 to design for the functional needs of modern women. Structure and wearability endured in all of Chanel’s clothing and accessories, like the quilted leather 2.55 handbag introduced in 1955 with its gold-chain shoulder strap that freed up a woman’s hands. Chanel's collarless jacket reacted against the constricting styles of Christian Dior's New Look, replacing them with a design that was timeless, an instant classic. The 1957 two-tone slingback pumps had a practical heel height while offering a bold statement in the black tip of the shoes.
After Coco Chanel died in 1971, the brand underwent several changes in leadership, including fashion designer Karl Lagerfeld, who took over as artistic director in 1983. Over the years, the company has continued to innovate, such as expanding into ready-to-wear fashion in 1978 and, in 2002, establishing a subsidiary company — Paraffection — dedicated to preserving the heritage skills of fashion artisan workshops. The House of Chanel still operates its flagship on rue Cambon in Paris, where it all began.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Sheung Wan, Hong Kong
- Return PolicyThis item cannot be returned.
- Vintage Chanel Embossed CC Logo Navy Quilted Lambskin Shoulder bagBy ChanelLocated in Sheung Wan, HK- Vintage Chanel navy quilted lambskin shoulder bag from year 1996 to 1997. - Embossed CC logo. - Exterior slip pockets on both side. - Gold hardware "Chanel" logo zip closure ...Category
1990s Italian Shoulder Bags
- Chanel Black Patent Leather Quilted Silver "CC" Turnlock Flap Shoulder BagBy ChanelLocated in Sheung Wan, HK- Vintage Chanel black patent leather quilted flap shoulder/hand bag. - Silver "CC" hardware turnlock flap. - Trapezoid Shape. - Back slip pocket. - One interior zip closure ...Category
1990s French Shoulder Bags
- Gucci Pink Leather Jackie 1961 Hobo Shoulder BagBy GucciLocated in Sheung Wan, HK- Gucci pink leather jackie 1961 hobo shoulder bag. You can also carry it like a handbag. - Silver-toned hardware. - Interior: 1 open pocket and 1 zipper pocket - Size: Length: ...Category
2010s Italian Hobo Bags
- Gucci 30cm Pink Leather Jackie 1961 Hobo Shoulder BagBy GucciLocated in Sheung Wan, HK- Gucci 30cm pink leather jackie 1961 hobo shoulder bag. - Silver-toned hardware. - Interior: 1 open pocket and 1 zipper pocket - Size: Length: 30cm I Height: 20cm I Width: 3cm....Category
2010s Italian Hobo Bags
- Moschino Black Nylon Kelly BagBy MoschinoLocated in Sheung Wan, HK- Vintage 90s Moschino black nylon kelly style bag. This bag is made in Italy by RedWall. Featuring a gold hardware interlock closure, black leather handle and interior "RedWall" lin...Category
1990s Italian Top Handle Bags
- Chanel Black Chevron Quilted Patent Leather Jumbo Classic Single Flap BagBy ChanelLocated in New York, NYListing Title: Chanel Black Chevron Quilted Patent Leather Jumbo Classic Single Flap Bag SKU: 121674 MSRP: 9500.00 Condition: Pre-owned Handbag Condition: Very Good Condition Commen...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Shoulder Bags
- HERMÈS Black Box Calf Leather Vintage Kelly 15cm SellierBy HermèsLocated in Bishop's Stortford, HertfordshireHERMÈS Black Box Calf Leather Vintage Kelly 15cm Sellier Serial Number: (V) Age (Circa): 1992 Accompanied By: Hermès Dust Bag, Box, Shoulder Strap Authentici...Category
1990s French Top Handle Bags
- HERMÈS Black Box Calf Leather Vintage Mini Kelly 20cmBy HermèsLocated in Bishop's Stortford, HertfordshireHERMÈS Black Box Calf Leather Vintage Mini Kelly 20cm Serial Number: (U) Age (Circa): 1991 Accompanied By: Hermès Dust Bag, Shoulder Strap Authenti...Category
1990s French Top Handle Bags
- HERMÈS Black & Chocolate Gulliver Leather Vintage Kelly Quelle Idole DollBy HermèsLocated in Bishop's Stortford, HertfordshireHERMÈS Black & Chocolate Gulliver Leather Vintage Kelly Quelle Idole Doll Serial Number: [D] Age (Circa): 2000 Accompanied By: Hermès Dust Bag, Box Authe...Category
Early 2000s French Structured Shoulder Bags
- CHANEL Black Quilted Caviar Leather Vintage Medium Classic Single Flap BagBy ChanelLocated in Bishop's Stortford, HertfordshireCHANEL Black Quilted Caviar Leather Vintage Medium Classic Single Flap Bag Serial Number: 6460058 Age (Circa): 2002 Accompanied By: Chanel Dust Bag, Box Authenticity Details: Serial Sticker (Made in Italy) Gender: Ladies Type: Shoulder Colour: Black Hardware: Matte Gold Material(s): Caviar Leather Interior: Black Leather Closure: Turn Lock Height: 16cm Width: 26cm Depth: 5cm Strap Drop: 18cm -The exterior is in excellent condition with light minimal...Category
Early 2000s Italian Structured Shoulder Bags
- Hermes Kelly 32 Miel Crocodile GHWBy HermèsLocated in Antwerp, BEGood condition Hermes Kelly 32 Miel Crocodile GHW A must for any serious collector. You will only very seldom see a Kelly bag in this beautiful warm "Miel" honey color, made from o...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Unknown Top Handle Bags
- Lotus Aquamarine 18 Karat Gold Wrap BraceletLocated in Denver, COShow your wrist a little love with our amazing collection of handmade beaded bracelets! The Lotus Gold Bracelet is one of many gorgeous styles. Classy or eclectic, our handmade beaded bracelets are the perfect addition to your collection. Dress it up by stacking some accent pieces, or wear it on its own, either way, the Lotus Bracelet...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Vietnamese Contemporary BanglesMaterials
- Handmade Green Butterfly BroochLocated in Carlsbad, CAHand Made Butterfly Brooch Gemstone: AAA Grade Cubic Zirconia Metal: Rhodium on Sterling Silver Style: ItalianCategory
21st Century and Contemporary Unknown Modern BroochesMaterials
Silver, Sterling SilverFree Shipping
- Pair of 19th Century French Ebonized Side ChairsLocated in Somerton, GBA pair of 19th century French ebonized side chairs upholstered in eye catching monochromatic linen with amazing engraving details. Perfect for occasional use. These chairs have love...Category
Antique Late 19th Century French Louis XV ChairsMaterials
Recently ViewedView All
With a Wink, Karl Lagerfeld Sent This Egg-Carton-Shaped Chanel Bag Down the Runway
For the brand’s 2014–15 ready-to-wear show in Paris, the designer was inspired by a most unexpected place: the supermarket.
This Vintage Chanel Fur Muff Is Après-Ski Chic
It might not be as practical as a pair of mittens, but for something that looks this good, practicality really doesn't matter.