HERMÈS Black Box Calf Leather Vintage Mini Kelly 20cm
About the Item
In 1837, Thierry Hermès (1801–78) founded his eponymous luxury goods company in Paris as a saddle manufacturer, serving the era’s carriage trade. In 1880, under the stewardship of Thierry's son Émile-Charles, fine riding gear was added to its offerings to complement the saddles. The company expanded their workshops to design handbags nearly half a century later. The Kelly bag, originally introduced as the Sac à dépêches (“the dispatch bag”) in 1935, was created by Robert Dumas, son-in-law to Thierry's grandson Émile-Maurice Hermès.
Designed for independent women who wanted a piece that was both luxurious and efficient, the Kelly bag has a trapezoid shape, two triangular gussets, a sculpted flap and handle. To this day, the understated bag comprises 36 individual leather pieces, 16 studs and a signature padlock and leather key cover, with three layers of leather at the base to ensure the bag can stand upright. Each Kelly bag takes between 18 and 25 hours to produce, and its 680 hand stitches owe solely to one Hermès artisan.
The Kelly bag earned its name during preproduction on Alfred Hitchcock’s 1955 film, To Catch a Thief. Costume designer Edith Head sourced products from Hermès to outfit actress Grace Kelly, who fell in love with the Sac à Dépêches and continued to carry it long after the movie wrapped. Months after marrying Prince Rainier III of Monaco in 1956, she was spotted carrying a brown pigskin Sac to shield her pregnancy from the paparazzi. And while the oft-repeated claim that Kelly and her bag appeared on a Life magazine cover isn’t true, photography of the actress and her cherished accessory began to appear everywhere at the time, and the bag’s profile suddenly skyrocketed.
In 1977 Hermès officially changed the item’s name to the Kelly bag. Less than a decade later, Hermès introduced another handbag to its line, also named after a style symbol, the Birkin bag. The Paris-based British actress Jane Birkin sat next to Hermès CEO Jean-Louis Dumas — Robert's son — on an Air France flight. He noticed her overflowing handbag, and she told him she longed for “a handbag that is bigger than the Kelly but smaller than Serge’s suitcase,” in reference to her then-romantic partner, the French musician Serge Gainsbourg. The Birkin bag was created in 1984, joining the Kelly in Hermès’ permanent collection.
For Hermès, what began as a maker of leather equestrian goods for European noblemen would eventually grow into one of the most storied fashion labels in the world. In 1837, German-born French entrepreneur Thierry Hermès opened a saddle and harness purveyor in Paris. Gradually, the house extended into accessories and luggage for its riders, and today, in paying homage to its origins, the family-run luxury brand resurfaces horse motifs in everything from clothing and modernist jewelry to pillows and handbags.
The first top-handled bag ever produced by Hermès was the Haut à courroies, which made its debut in 1892. A tall bag secured with a folded leather flap (fastened with bridle-inspired straps), it was designed to transport riding boots and a harness. As the world made the switch from horse to automobile, the bag adapted, becoming a multifunctional travel satchel instead of a designated saddlebag. Today, 120 years later, the HAC remains in Hermès’s line — and its distinctive flap and clasping straps have laid the groundwork for some of the house’s other iconic bags.
In the 1930s, Robert Dumas (son-in-law to Émile-Maurice Hermès, Thierry’s grandson) designed a smaller, trapezoidal take on the flap bag with a handle and two side straps. Later, actress Grace Kelly, then engaged to Prince Rainier of Monaco, is said to have used one of these bags to conceal her pregnancy during the 1950s. Because she was photographed constantly, the coverage catapulted her handbag to international popularity. In 1977, Hermès officially renamed the model for her, and the Kelly bag was born. Each Kelly bag takes between 18 and 25 hours to produce, and its 680 hand stitches owe solely to one Hermès artisan.
Robert Dumas was also responsible for another one of the brand’s most iconic offerings: the launch of its first silk scarf on the occasion of Hermès’s 100th anniversary in 1937. Based on a woodblock designed by Dumas and printed on Chinese silk, the accessory was an immediate hit.
Today, vintage Hermès scarves, typically adorned in rich colors and elaborate patterns, serve many functions, just as they did back then. Well-heeled women wear it on their heads, around their necks and, in a genius piece of cross-promotion, tied to the straps of their Hermès bags. Kelly even once used one as a sling for her broken arm.
In 1981, Robert Dumas’s son Jean-Louis Dumas, then Hermès chairman, found himself sitting next to French actress and musician Jane Birkin on a plane, where she was complaining about finding a suitable carryall for the necessary accoutrements of motherhood. After the two travelers were properly introduced, Birkin helped design Jean-Louis’s most famous contribution to the Hermès canon: the Birkin bag, a roomy, square catchall with the HAC’s trademark leather flap top and the addition of a lock and key. Owing to the brand’s legendary commitment to deft, handcrafted construction, the Birkin is an investment that is coveted by collectors everywhere.
While the Kelly and Birkin may be standouts, gracing the arms of everyone from royal heiresses to hip-hop stars in the past few decades, the handbags are but a small part of Hermès’s fashion offerings. Since the 1920s, the brand has produced some of the most desirable leather goods in the world. There’s the Constance bag, a favorite of Jacqueline Kennedy, the recently relaunched 1970s-era Evelyne and, on the vintage market, a slew of designs dating back to the 1920s.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Bishop's Stortford, United Kingdom
- Return PolicyA return for this item may be initiated within 14 days of delivery.
- HERMÈS Black Box Calf Leather Vintage Kelly 15cm SellierBy HermèsLocated in Bishop's Stortford, HertfordshireHERMÈS Black Box Calf Leather Vintage Kelly 15cm Sellier Serial Number: (V) Age (Circa): 1992 Accompanied By: Hermès Dust Bag, Box, Shoulder Strap Authentici...Category
1990s French Top Handle Bags
- HERMÈS Black & Chocolate Gulliver Leather Vintage Kelly Quelle Idole DollBy HermèsLocated in Bishop's Stortford, HertfordshireHERMÈS Black & Chocolate Gulliver Leather Vintage Kelly Quelle Idole Doll Serial Number: [D] Age (Circa): 2000 Accompanied By: Hermès Dust Bag, Box Authe...Category
Early 2000s French Structured Shoulder Bags
- CHANEL Black Quilted Caviar Leather Vintage Medium Classic Single Flap BagBy ChanelLocated in Bishop's Stortford, HertfordshireCHANEL Black Quilted Caviar Leather Vintage Medium Classic Single Flap Bag Serial Number: 6460058 Age (Circa): 2002 Accompanied By: Chanel Dust Bag, Box Authenticity Details: Serial Sticker (Made in Italy) Gender: Ladies Type: Shoulder Colour: Black Hardware: Matte Gold Material(s): Caviar Leather Interior: Black Leather Closure: Turn Lock Height: 16cm Width: 26cm Depth: 5cm Strap Drop: 18cm -The exterior is in excellent condition with light minimal...Category
Early 2000s Italian Structured Shoulder Bags
- Fendi BLACK ZUCCA CANVAS & CALFSKIN LEATHER VINTAGE MAMA BAGUETTEBy FendiLocated in Bishop's Stortford, HertfordshireFendi BLACK ZUCCA CANVAS & CALFSKIN LEATHER VINTAGE MAMA BAGUETTE CONDITION NOTES The exterior is in excellent condition with light signs of use. The interior is in excellent condit...Category
2010s Italian Top Handle Bags
- Hermès BLACK LIZARD LEATHER VINTAGE KELLY 20CM SELLIERBy HermèsLocated in Bishop's Stortford, HertfordshireHermès BLACK LIZARD LEATHER VINTAGE KELLY 20CM SELLIER CONDITION NOTES The exterior is in excellent condition with light signs of use. The interior...Category
1990s French Top Handle Bags
- HERMÈS White Clemence Leather Kelly 32cm RetourneBy HermèsLocated in Bishop's Stortford, HertfordshireHERMÈS White Clemence Leather Kelly 32cm Retourne Serial Number: [H] Age (Circa): 2004 Accompanied By: Hermès Dust Bag, Shoulder Strap, Raincover Authenticity Details: Date Stamp (M...Category
Early 2000s French Structured Shoulder BagsFree Shipping
- Chanel Black Chevron Quilted Patent Leather Jumbo Classic Single Flap BagBy ChanelLocated in New York, NYListing Title: Chanel Black Chevron Quilted Patent Leather Jumbo Classic Single Flap Bag SKU: 121674 MSRP: 9500.00 Condition: Pre-owned Handbag Condition: Very Good Condition Commen...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Shoulder Bags
- Exceptional Hermès Passe Guide Bag Shiny Ebene Porosus Crocodile Ghw RAREBy HermèsLocated in ., FRThere's the Kelly, the Birkin, the Constance, and the PASSE-GUIDE Bag ... ! To me, the most beautiful Purse Ever ! Here is an opportunity to get one in an exceptional Authentic Her...Category
1980s French Structured Shoulder Bags
- Gianni Versace Black Embossed Leather Bag, Bondage LineBy Gianni Versace Couture, Gianni VersaceLocated in Milano, ITBeautiful bag by Gianni Versace. The bag is a shoulder model from the 90s. Attributed to Versace's bondage line for its straps and embossed leather and metal, 90's. The particularity...Category
1990s Italian Top Handle Bags
- Jean Paul Gaultier Black Patent Iconic Corset Shoulder BagBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Nice, FRJEAN PAUL GAULTIER black patent iconic corset shoulder bag. Front has a gorgeous criss-cross lacing detail. Strap is made of grosgrain lace. Zippere...Category
20th Century French Shoulder Bags
- Jean Paul Gaultier Parachute JPG Foldable Transformable Vintage Straps BagBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in PARIS, FRParachute bag by Jean Paul Gaultier! Transformable! Leather case / buttom. Extra pocket on the front! Strap is adjustable. NEW without tag! The label`s stye is faded, but it is j...Category
1990s Top Handle Bags
Recently ViewedView All
This Iconic Hermès Bag Is Made from an Unexpected Material: Wood
From a house that specializes in covetable objects, this version of the Kelly is the rarest of finds.
A Short History of the World’s Most Iconic Designs
Of the million-plus items on 1stdibs, some seem to have transcended time, looking as fresh today as when they were first produced. The pieces highlighted on our new Iconic Designs page stand out for longevity, functionality and quality of design and manufacture — just the tonic for the present unsettled moment.