Hermès Black Box Calf Leather Vintage Kelly 20cm
About the Item
In 1837, Thierry Hermès (1801–78) founded his eponymous luxury goods company in Paris as a saddle manufacturer, serving the era’s carriage trade. In 1880, under the stewardship of Thierry's son Émile-Charles, fine riding gear was added to its offerings to complement the saddles. The company expanded their workshops to design handbags nearly half a century later. The Kelly bag, originally introduced as the Sac à dépêches (“the dispatch bag”) in 1935, was created by Robert Dumas, son-in-law to Thierry's grandson Émile-Maurice Hermès.
Designed for independent women who wanted a piece that was both luxurious and efficient, the Kelly bag has a trapezoid shape, two triangular gussets, a sculpted flap and handle. To this day, the understated bag comprises 36 individual leather pieces, 16 studs and a signature padlock and leather key cover, with three layers of leather at the base to ensure the bag can stand upright. Each Kelly bag takes between 18 and 25 hours to produce, and its 680 hand stitches owe solely to one Hermès artisan.
The Kelly bag earned its name during preproduction on Alfred Hitchcock’s 1955 film, To Catch a Thief. Costume designer Edith Head sourced products from Hermès to outfit actress Grace Kelly, who fell in love with the Sac à Dépêches and continued to carry it long after the movie wrapped. Months after marrying Prince Rainier III of Monaco in 1956, she was spotted carrying a brown pigskin Sac to shield her pregnancy from the paparazzi. And while the oft-repeated claim that Kelly and her bag appeared on a Life magazine cover isn’t true, photography of the actress and her cherished accessory began to appear everywhere at the time, and the bag’s profile suddenly skyrocketed.
In 1977 Hermès officially changed the item’s name to the Kelly bag. Less than a decade later, Hermès introduced another handbag to its line, also named after a style symbol, the Birkin bag. The Paris-based British actress Jane Birkin sat next to Hermès CEO Jean-Louis Dumas — Robert's son — on an Air France flight. He noticed her overflowing handbag, and she told him she longed for “a handbag that is bigger than the Kelly but smaller than Serge’s suitcase,” in reference to her then-romantic partner, the French musician Serge Gainsbourg. The Birkin bag was created in 1984, joining the Kelly in Hermès’ permanent collection.
For Hermès, what began as a maker of leather equestrian goods for European noblemen would eventually grow into one of the most storied fashion labels in the world. In 1837, German-born French entrepreneur Thierry Hermès opened a saddle and harness purveyor in Paris. Gradually, the house extended into accessories and luggage for its riders, and today, in paying homage to its origins, the family-run luxury brand resurfaces horse motifs in everything from clothing and modernist jewelry to pillows and handbags.
The first top-handled bag ever produced by Hermès was the Haut à courroies, which made its debut in 1892. A tall bag secured with a folded leather flap (fastened with bridle-inspired straps), it was designed to transport riding boots and a harness. As the world made the switch from horse to automobile, the bag adapted, becoming a multifunctional travel satchel instead of a designated saddlebag. Today, 120 years later, the HAC remains in Hermès’s line — and its distinctive flap and clasping straps have laid the groundwork for some of the house’s other iconic bags.
In the 1930s, Robert Dumas (son-in-law to Émile-Maurice Hermès, Thierry’s grandson) designed a smaller, trapezoidal take on the flap bag with a handle and two side straps. Later, actress Grace Kelly, then engaged to Prince Rainier of Monaco, is said to have used one of these bags to conceal her pregnancy during the 1950s. Because she was photographed constantly, the coverage catapulted her handbag to international popularity. In 1977, Hermès officially renamed the model for her, and the Kelly bag was born. Each Kelly bag takes between 18 and 25 hours to produce, and its 680 hand stitches owe solely to one Hermès artisan.
Robert Dumas was also responsible for another one of the brand’s most iconic offerings: the launch of its first silk scarf on the occasion of Hermès’s 100th anniversary in 1937. Based on a woodblock designed by Dumas and printed on Chinese silk, the accessory was an immediate hit.
Today, vintage Hermès scarves, typically adorned in rich colors and elaborate patterns, serve many functions, just as they did back then. Well-heeled women wear it on their heads, around their necks and, in a genius piece of cross-promotion, tied to the straps of their Hermès bags. Kelly even once used one as a sling for her broken arm.
In 1981, Robert Dumas’s son Jean-Louis Dumas, then Hermès chairman, found himself sitting next to French actress and musician Jane Birkin on a plane, where she was complaining about finding a suitable carryall for the necessary accoutrements of motherhood. After the two travelers were properly introduced, Birkin helped design Jean-Louis’s most famous contribution to the Hermès canon: the Birkin bag, a roomy, square catchall with the HAC’s trademark leather flap top and the addition of a lock and key. Owing to the brand’s legendary commitment to deft, handcrafted construction, the Birkin is an investment that is coveted by collectors everywhere.
While the Kelly and Birkin may be standouts, gracing the arms of everyone from royal heiresses to hip-hop stars in the past few decades, the handbags are but a small part of Hermès’s fashion offerings. Since the 1920s, the brand has produced some of the most desirable leather goods in the world. There’s the Constance bag, a favorite of Jacqueline Kennedy, the recently relaunched 1970s-era Evelyne and, on the vintage market, a slew of designs dating back to the 1920s.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Bishop's Stortford, United Kingdom
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 14 days of delivery.
- LOUIS VUITTON Damier Azur Coated Canvas & Vachetta Leather Hampstead PMBy Louis VuittonLocated in Bishop's Stortford, HertfordshireLOUIS VUITTON Damier Azur Coated Canvas & Vachetta Leather Hampstead PM Serial Number: Unreadable due to suede Age (Circa): 2010 Accompanied By: Louis Vuitton Dust Bag Authenticity ...Category
2010s French Structured Shoulder Bags
- 1992 Hermès Rouge Vif & Black Veau Doblis Suede Vintage Kelly 20cm SellierBy HermèsLocated in Bishop's Stortford, HertfordshireHERMÈS Rouge Vif & Black Veau Doblis Suede Vintage Kelly 20cm Sellier Serial Number: (V) Age (Circa): 1992 Accompanied By: Hermès Dust Bag, Shoulder Strap Authenticity Details: Date...Category
1990s French Top Handle Bags
- Louis Vuitton Violet Vernis Leather & Vachetta Leather Roxbury DriveBy Louis VuittonLocated in Bishop's Stortford, Hertfordshire"LOUIS VUITTON Violet Vernis Leather & Vachetta Leather Roxbury Drive Serial Number: SR4087 Age (Circa): 2007 Accompanied By: Louis Vuitton Dust Bag, Shoulder Strap Authenticity Details: Date Stamp (Made in France) Gender: Ladies Type: Top Handle, Shoulder Colour: Violet Hardware: Gold Material(s): Vernis Leather, Vachetta Leather Interior: Purple Textile...Category
Early 2000s French Structured Shoulder Bags
- Hermès JAUNE COURCHEVEL LEATHER KELLY 20CM SELLIERBy HermèsLocated in Bishop's Stortford, HertfordshireHermès JAUNE COURCHEVEL LEATHER KELLY 20CM SELLIER CONDITION NOTES The exterior is in very good condition with moderate signs of use, with darkenin...Category
1990s French Structured Shoulder BagsFree Shipping
- 1994 Hermes Vert Fonce, Rouge H & Indigo Box Calf Vintage Kelly 32cm SelllierBy ChanelLocated in Bishop's Stortford, HertfordshireHERMÈS Vert Fonce, Rouge H & Indigo Box Calf Tri-Colour Leather Vintage Kelly 32cm Sellier Serial Number: (X) Age (Circa): 1994 Accompanied By: Clochette, Keys Authenticity Details...Category
21st Century and Contemporary French Top Handle Bags
- LOUIS VUITTON x Fornasetti Onthego GMBy Louis VuittonLocated in Bishop's Stortford, HertfordshireLOUIS VUITTON x Fornasetti Brown Monogram Coated Canvas & Black Calfskin Leather Onthego GM Xupes Reference: HB5167 Serial Number: X Age (Circa): 2022 Accompanied By: Dust Bag, Box,...Category
2010s French Top Handle BagsFree Shipping
- Chanel Timeless CC Red Shoulder Bag in Quilted CaviarBy ChanelLocated in Scottsdale, AZThis chic and sophisticated Chanel Beige Quilted Caviar Leather Timeless CC Shoulder Bag is made for everyday elegance. This durable and hot red quilted caviar leather features a sleek design with a stitched CC logo and a comfortable chain shoulder strap. This style bag was featured on Sex and the City, worn by non-other than Charlotte! It is an elegant and timeless piece to add to any collection as it will go with anything you are wearing for the day. The exterior leather is in great condition with no notable flaws and the hardware still has a great gold hue. The bag has some wear on the interior as it is discolored as shown in the photo. Try pairing this handbag for a night out for cocktails with the girls with a Christian Dior top, some Gucci leather trousers...Category
Early 2000s French Shoulder Bags
- Red Vernis Louis Vuitton Alma Bag circa 2008By Louis VuittonLocated in Scottsdale, AZBeautiful Louis Vuitton handbag in their iconic Alma style circa 2008. Gorgeous patent red leather in LV's signature Vernis red is covered in a Louis Vuitton monogram, a subtle finishing touch that screams Louis Vuitton. This handbag is so shiny you are sure to be catching stares from across the room whenever you wear it. Featuring a lock and key, two inside pockets and a very spacious opening to secure all of your belongings in with no signs of use. Style this with a Louis Vuitton monogram jacket...Category
2010s French Top Handle Bags
- Tom Ford for Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche Mombosa Leather HandbagBy Tom Ford for Yves Saint Laurent, Yves Saint LaurentLocated in Scottsdale, AZDo not miss out on this timelessly chic Tom Ford for Yves Saint Laurent Mombasa handbag in a must-have cherry red! This handbag is so show-stopping and really embodies all of the cla...Category
Early 2000s Italian Top Handle Bags
- Hermes Red Epsom Kelly Sellier 32 Rouge CasaqueBy HermèsLocated in Scottsdale, AZA Kelly in true red! There isn't anything better than that. Get your hands on an authentic HERMES Epsom Kelly Sellier 32 in Rouge Casaque. This handbag is an iconic and classic tote that is crafted of beautifully textured epsom leather in a HOT red. The bag features a sturdy rolled leather top handle with polished palladium silver plated links and a crossover flap and strap closure with a signature Kelly turn lock. This opens to a spacious and durable matte leather interior with zippered and flat pockets. This handbag is in great condition with a few marks to the leather and slight loss of shape. This Kelly does...Category
Early 2000s French Top Handle Bags
- Gucci Padlock Small GG Shoulder BagBy GucciLocated in Scottsdale, AZFrom none other than the house of Gucci! Get your piece of the iconic fashion house today. This takes the classic monogrammed bag and adds an interesting twist. The monogram is classic to the Gucci brand with 'GG' embedded through the whole Beige/ebony leather bag. The monogram fabric is accompanied by a rich brown framing and strap that measures 28 cm. The leather is contrasted with a vibrant gold chunky padlock and chain. The padlock is embossed with "GUCCI". Take a peak inside and open a microfibre lining with a suede-like finish with two slip pockets and a roomy inside that will easily carry your phone, keys, money, plus many more items. This bag is ingrate condition with some scratching to the hardware. Try pairing this bag with a Tom Ford blouse, some Versace denim, and some vintage Prada mules...Category
2010s Italian Shoulder Bags
- Louis Vuitton Purple Exotic Crocodile Brea HandbagBy Louis VuittonLocated in Scottsdale, AZThis is the most iconic and beautiful piece to add to your collection! A bag made to make a statement! This bag is vintage, made in 2001, and is perfect for the Louis Vuitton collect...Category
Early 2000s Italian Top Handle Bags
Recently ViewedView All
This Iconic Hermès Bag Is Made from an Unexpected Material: Wood
From a house that specializes in covetable objects, this version of the Kelly is the rarest of finds.
A Short History of the World’s Most Iconic Designs
Of the million-plus items on 1stdibs, some seem to have transcended time, looking as fresh today as when they were first produced. The pieces highlighted on our new Iconic Designs page stand out for longevity, functionality and quality of design and manufacture — just the tonic for the present unsettled moment.
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery