- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
RARE Gucci by Tom Ford SS 1996 Black Shearling Fur Bamboo Bag seen on Kate Moss
About the Item
- Place of Origin:Italy
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use. The bag itself has never been worn and is in perfect condition on outside inclusive leather parts. Due to age, material is peeling inside, where it is in fair condition. Hence, bag needs to be worn with inner bag or professionally cleaned/fixed.
- Seller Location:Switzerland, CH
- Reference Number:Seller: GUCTFSS1996BLKFRBAG1stDibs: LU416316128032
Tom Ford for Gucci
No one understands sex appeal quite like Tom Ford, who joined Gucci as a womens-wear designer in 1990.
At the time, the internationally renowned Italian label was better known for leather goods than luxury fashion. It was also nearly bankrupt. After creative director Dawn Mello left in 1994, following a Bahrain-based investment group becoming Gucci’s majority shareholder, Ford was named creative director. The American designer soon infused the brand with a fresh sensuality and bold style.
Ford's potent vision of sexed-up femininity spanned everything from shirts to shoes to other accessories at Gucci — he reimagined the house's iconic double-ring-and-bar Horsebit hardware, a reference to the brand’s equestrian history, as a seductive low-slung belt, worn by Madonna when accepting an MTV video music award in 1995. For his fall show during that year, in which Kate Moss walked down the runway in an unbuttoned satin shirt, velvet hip-huggers and tousled hair, heralded an exciting, glammed-up era for the once fusty brand. Vogue critic Sarah Mower called it “one of those hitting-in-the-solar-plexus moments.”
As Ford shot to fame, he continued to explore plunging necklines, such as in the black and white looks of the Fall 1996 collection, and sumptuous fabrics like leather and tweed, with the Fall 2000 ready-to-wear collection ranging from sultry silk evening dresses to plush belted coats.
Ford also cranked up the seduction in the provocative ads for Gucci, particularly with regard to campaigns for Yves Saint Laurent, which the fashion house acquired in 1999 (Ford was also named creative director for YSL and designed the brand’s ready-to-wear collection). Gucci's Fall/Winter 1997 campaign featured Carolyn Murphy grasping Angela Lindvall in what looked like a video still; in another shot, a face pressed against a foot in a lipstick-red heel. Each promoted a vision of modern fashion where women were sexually confident, the materials were luxurious and the styles were fearless.
In 2004, Ford and Gucci president Domenico De Sole left the company after failing to agree on the renewal of their contracts. In 2006, with De Sole as chairman, Ford launched his wildly successful eponymous menswear label. Today Ford is also an author, film director and chairman of the Council of Fashion Designers of America.
Find vintage Tom Ford Gucci day dresses, jackets and handbags on 1stDibs.
Long before trend-bucking creative director Alessandro Michele brought his hallucinatory “Utopian Fantasy” campaign to Gucci, it was a modest Italian leather shop. Today, it’s an internationally renowned luxury house with an iconic logo, and vintage Gucci clothing, handbags and shoes are among high fashion's most covetable goods.
Guccio Gucci (1881–1953) admired the stylish suitcases he saw wealthy guests arrive with at the Savoy Hotel in London, where he worked as a bellhop. So, in 1921, after a stint at Franzi, a luggage company in his hometown of Florence, he opened a leather goods shop of his own.
At first, Gucci’s Florence business specialized in equestrian accessories. But as its reputation flourished, particularly among the English aristocracy, so too did its footprint. In 1938, he brought three of his sons — Aldo, Vasco and Rodolfo — into the business and expanded it to Rome and later Milan. In the mid-1930s, a League of Nations embargo against Italy pushed Gucci to experiment with alternatives to imported leather. Its woven hemp fabric from Naples, adorned with the brand’s signature diamond print, was a hit, especially among A-list celebrities. The material was first used on suitcases before finding enduring popularity on handbags. (No list of revered designer purses would be complete without Gucci.)
In the 1950s, Elizabeth Taylor carried one of Gucci’s bamboo-handled tote bags, another adaptation to material rationing. After Jackie Kennedy was seen sporting a slouchy Gucci tote in 1961, it was renamed for the First Lady. Then Grace Kelly, on a visit to the boutique in Milan, inspired Rodolfo Gucci to work with Italian illustrator and Gucci textile designer Vittorio Accornero on the Flora print in 1966. Taking cues from Sandro Botticelli’s Primavera, with its pattern of flora and insects, it was painted entirely by hand and featured no fewer than 37 colors.
In 1953, just 15 days after opening his first store on New York’s 5th Avenue, Guccio passed away at 72. The early 1970s saw store openings in Tokyo and Hong Kong, but by the late 1980s, Gucci was floundering. Rodolfo Gucci took charge in 1982, but family drama and lawsuits ensued. In 1993, Rodolfo’s son, Maurizio, transferred his shares in the company to Investcorp, ending the family’s involvement in Gucci. Dawn Mello, then-president of Bergdorf Goodman, joined as creative director in 1989. But it was Tom Ford, who took over as creative director in 1994, who ultimately revived the brand.
Ford’s racy ads, shot by photographers such as Mario Testino, stirred controversy. And his potent vision of sexed-up femininity — with “jewel-toned satin shirts unbuttoned to there,” as Vogue described his breakthrough 1995 runway show — was wildly successful. The new millennium brought new ownership — Pinault Printemps Redoute in 2004 — and a more toned-down vision from Frida Giannini, who became sole creative director in 2006. Alessandro Michele was named creative director in 2015, and the storied brand took a giant leap forward.
Find vintage Gucci clothing and accessories on 1stDibs.
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: DXB, United Arab Emirates
- Return Policy
This item cannot be returned.
- RARE Gucci by Tom Ford SS 1996 White Shearling Fur Bamboo Bag seen on Kate MossBy Gucci, Tom Ford for GucciLocated in Switzerland, CHEXTREMELY RARE GUCCI BY TOM FORD SS 1996 GUCCI FUR BAG SEEN ON KATE MOSS FEATURED ON BOTH GUCCI'S RUNWAY SHOW SS 1996 AND IN GUCCI'S AD CAMPAIGN ...Category
1990s Italian Shoulder Bags$2,995 Sale Price33% Off
- UNWORN Gucci by Tom Ford Web 2003/4 Velvet GG Logo Exotic Lizard Horsebit XL BagBy Gucci, Tom Ford for GucciLocated in Switzerland, CHA fabulour Gucci by Tom Ford Evening Bag From his final years at Gucci 2003/2004 A remake of this bag in regular leather is part of Gucci's FW 2023 collection Limited Edition, only s...Category
Early 2000s Italian Clutches
- UNWORN Brown Gucci Ostrich Bamboo Detail Shoulder Bag - Full SetBy GucciLocated in Switzerland, CHA GUCCI signature piece that will last you for many years Timeless classic - a true beauty! Very rare item - only very few pieces were made and sold in selected boutiques Made of rea...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Shoulder Bags$2,799 Sale Price26% Off
- Rare VALENTINO Y2K Fur & Leather V Logo Baguette Double Flap Clutch HandbagBy Valentino Garavani, ValentinoLocated in Switzerland, CHStunning Valentino Double Flap Clutch "Baguette" Bag Made of finest calf fur Leather trimmings Adjustable handle, can be detached Double flap with a total of two compartments Large enamel V logo in front Shiny satin lining in vibrant hot pink One inner pocket From the famous FW 2004 Valentino collection...Category
Early 2000s Italian Structured Shoulder Bags$959 Sale Price40% Off
- UNWORN Fendi Spy Bag Floral Hand-Embroidery Hand-Painted Black Crystals 2005By FendiLocated in Switzerland, CHThe Fendi Spy Bag is popular among celebrities like Bella Hadid, Rihanna, Paris and Nikki Hilton, Kim Kardashian, Gwen Stefani, SJP and many more. It has had its comeback in 2022. This special model is from a limited edition of total 80 pieces, it was made to order and only offered to special clients in selected flagship FENDI flagship boutiques...Category
Early 2000s Italian Shoulder Bags
- Rare FENDI Limited Edition Spy Bag Hand-Embroidery Exotic Lizard Skin FW 2005By FendiLocated in Switzerland, CHThe Fendi Spy Bag is popular among celebrities like Bella Hadid, Rihanna, Paris and Nikki Hilton, Kim Kardashian, Gwen Stefani, SJP and many more. It has had its comeback in 2022. This special model is from a limited edition and only offered to special clients in selected flagship...Category
Early 2000s Italian Shoulder Bags
- S/S 1996 Gucci by Tom Ford Kate Moss Burgundy Python Bamboo Crossbody Bag RunwayBy Tom Ford, GucciLocated in Philadelphia, PATheRealList presents: a fabulous burgundy python skin two-way Gucci bag, designed by Tom Ford. This beautiful bag in tan was first modeled by Kate Moss for the S/S 1996 Gucci runway, the same bag in blue also being displayed in that season's ad campaign. This bag, constructed of burgundy python, was also present on the runway modeled on Stella Tennant...Category
1990s Italian Hobo Bags
- S/S 1997 Gucci by Tom Ford Black Stretch Viscose Gold Logo CardiganBy Gucci, Tom Ford for GucciLocated in Philadelphia, PATheRealList presents: a sheer collared long sleeve Gucci top/cardigan, designed by Tom Ford. From the Spring/Summer 1997 collection and classically Tom Ford for Gucci, this blouse fe...Category
1990s Italian Cardigans$2,796 Sale Price20% Off
- Christian Dior by John Galliano purple glass bead choker necklace, ss 1998By Christian Dior, John Galliano for Christian DiorLocated in London, GB▪ Christian Dior purple glass bead choker necklace ▪ Designed by John Galliano ▪ 18-strands of purple glass beads with 3 looped strands ▪ Larg...Category
1990s French Neckties
- Vintage Tom Ford for Gucci F/W 1996 Black Jersey Dress Gown w Pony Hair Belt 42By Tom Ford for GucciLocated in Montgomery, TXVintage Runway Tom Ford for Gucci Black Jersey Dress Gown F/W 1996 Collection Designer size - 42 Black Jersey, Fully Lined, Slip-on Style. Black Pony Hair Belt...Category
1990s Italian Cocktail Dresses
- Gucci by Tom Ford brown silk bias cut evening dress with leg slit, fw 1999By Gucci, Tom Ford for GucciLocated in London, GB▪ Gucci deep brown silk evening maxi dress ▪ Designed by Tom Ford ▪ Sabrina neckline with hook fastenings at the shoulder ▪ Ruched seam across the bodice ▪ Leg slit ▪ Silk chiffo...Category
1990s Italian Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Museum Tom Ford for Gucci Runway F/W 1999 2 in 1 Fur Coat JacketBy Tom Ford for Gucci, GucciLocated in Montgomery, TXMuseum Tom Ford for Gucci 2 in 1 Fur Coat Jacket F/W 1999 Runway Collection Coat can be converted to jacket in few seconds because of snap buttons a...Category
1990s Italian Coats
- Sex and The City 2, Iconic John Galliano for Christian Dior Newsprint DressBy Christian Dior, John Galliano for Christian DiorLocated in New York, NYBeing offered is the iconic John Galliano for Christian Dior Autumn/Winter 2000-2001 Newsprint Dress worn by Sarah Jessica Parker and lent by Vintage Luxury N.Y. for Sex and the City 2, the movie. The iconic Dior newsprint dress...Category
Early 2000s French Cocktail Dresses
- Iconic Rare Thierry Mugler SS 1996 Museum Black WhiteBy Thierry MuglerLocated in Berlin, BEThe Holy Grail Extremely rare Haute Couture collectors piece. Spring Summer Collection 1996. Similar one is currently shown at the Manfred Thierry Mugler Exhibition. Also part of the...Category
1990s French Skirt Suits
- F/W 1997 Tom Ford by Gucci Runway Baby Blue Fox Fur Chubby Museum CoatBy Gucci, Tom Ford for GucciLocated in Philadelphia, PATheRealList presents: one of Tom Ford's most lusted-after designs during his tenure at the house of Gucci. Recently seen on Rihanna during her birthday celebrations in London! This o...Category
1990s Italian Jackets$26,200 Sale Price20% OffFree Shipping
- Vivienne Westwood black knitted sweater top, skirt and socks set, fw 1994By Vivienne WestwoodLocated in London, GB▪ Vivienne Westwood black crochet-knit 3-piece set ▪ Short-sleeved wool sweater top ▪ High-slit cotton skirt with draw string faste...Category
1990s Italian Suits, Outfits and Ensembles
- F/W 1997 Gucci by Tom Ford Purple Velvet 'GG' Monogram Runway BagBy Gucci, Tom Ford for GucciLocated in Philadelphia, PATheRealList presents: an iconic burgundy Gucci 'GG' monogram bucket bag, designed by Tom Ford. From the Fall/Winter 1997 collection, this fabulous bag is constructed of a deep purple...Category
1990s Italian Top Handle Bags
- S/S 1995 Gucci by Tom Ford Debut Black Crocodile Bamboo Top Handle Frame BagBy Gucci, Tom Ford for GucciLocated in Philadelphia, PAThe RealList presents: No one knows how to sell sexy better than designer Tom Ford. As part of his debut collection at Gucci, this bag embodies his dedi...Category
1990s Italian Top Handle Bags
- S/S 2003 Gucci by Tom Ford Black Alligator Large Bullet Bag Bamboo Lock FlapBy Gucci, Tom Ford for GucciLocated in Philadelphia, PATheRealList presents: a gorgeous black crocodile skin Gucci bullet bag, designed by Tom Ford. This iconic Tom Ford design was taken to a whole new ...Category
Early 2000s Italian Structured Shoulder Bags$12,500Free Shipping
- F/W 2000 Gucci by Tom Ford G Buckle Black Nylon Small Bag Y2KBy Gucci, Tom Ford for GucciLocated in Philadelphia, PATheRealList presents: a vintage nylon Gucci bag, designed by Tom Ford. Created for the Fall/Winter 2000 collection, this bag constructed of nylon with leather piping and details prominently features a Gucci 'G' closure. A similar tan leather bag...Category
Early 2000s Italian Top Handle Bags
- F/W 2004 Gucci by Tom Ford Finale GG Gold Bamboo Ring Shoulder BagBy Gucci, Tom Ford for GucciLocated in Philadelphia, PATheRealList presents: a 'GG' monogram woven small tote designed by Tom Ford for Gucci. As part of Ford's final collection with Gucci, his bag features the same gold metallic leather and bamboo hardware...Category
Early 2000s Italian Top Handle Bags$1,895Free Shipping
- Gucci by Tom Ford Black Ostrich Leather Horsebit Oversized Shoulder BagBy Gucci, Tom Ford for GucciLocated in Philadelphia, PAThe RealList presents: Designed by Tom Ford for Gucci, this stylish bag was crafted in luxurious ostrich leather and features gold metal accents. The l...Category
Early 2000s Italian Shoulder Bags
Recently ViewedView More
The Stories behind the Most Famous Luxury Fashion Logos
From Chanel to YSL, the logos of some legacy fashion houses spark instant brand recognition and have come to symbolize a kind of luxury that feels at once aspirational and attainable.
14 Iconic Luxury Handbags and the Stories behind Them
When the name of a bag is as well-known as its brand, you know it's a classic.
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery