Hermes Birkin 30cm Himalayan Crocodile with Diamond Encrusted Hardware
View Similar Items
Hermes Birkin 30cm Himalayan Crocodile with Diamond Encrusted Hardware
About the Design
Since its 1984 debut, the Hermès Birkin bag has become a coveted status symbol as much as it has an exclusive collector’s piece. The handbag is among the most expensive in the world, and the appetite for the accessory is well-known inside and outside the fashion industry.
The history of the Birkin bag owes to a chance meeting on a flight from Paris to London in 1981, when British actress, singer and model Jane Birkin found herself describing her ideal handbag to another passenger. The two travelers hadn’t properly met, so it wasn’t immediately clear that she was practically brainstorming a future product with Hermès chairman Jean-Louis Dumas. When the latter identified himself, he told the star that Hermès was prepared to produce the accessory of her dreams. A discussion followed that involved rough sketches on an Air France airsickness bag, and the Birkin was introduced three years later.
A spacious and symmetrical rectangular bag that features dual handles as compared to the trapezoidal single-handle frame of the company’s popular Kelly, the Birkin has amassed a rabidly enthusiastic fan base since its inception. Because it is so pricey and sought after, the goatskin-lined Birkin has frequently been targeted by counterfeiters, and its modest aesthetic and understated branding prevent it from being easily discernible from fakes. An array of metallic hardware fixtures, most often produced in gold or palladium, helps distinguish this dynamic handcrafted tote, and likely assisted the French police officers who broke up an international counterfeit Birkin operation in 2012.
Among the characteristics that are integral to determining a Birkin’s authenticity as well as rendering it a truly desirable collector’s item are the signature lock and accompanying keys. The latter are tucked inside a lanyard made from a single piece of leather and draped around one of the handles. There are scuff-resistant base studs, too — a defense system to shield the durable leather exterior from damage should its owner park it on a gritty sidewalk. The studs are hammered in and can’t twist off, so there isn’t any danger of the bag losing its feet.
Each tote is hand-sewn according to Hermès’s centuries-old saddle-stitching technique, and the exotic leathers — a variety that includes ostrich and crocodile — are subsequently painted and polished by house craftsmen in France. Owing to the artisan construction effort behind this globally adored accessory, it may take up to several days to produce a single Birkin bag.
Jane had to wait for hers, too.
About the Manufacturer
For Hermès, what began as a maker of leather equestrian goods for European noblemen would eventually grow into one of the most storied fashion labels in the world. In 1837, German-born French entrepreneur Thierry Hermès opened a saddle and harness purveyor in Paris. Gradually, the house extended into accessories and luggage for its riders, and today, in paying homage to its origins, the family-run luxury brand resurfaces horse motifs in everything from clothing and modernist jewelry to pillows and handbags.
The first top-handled bag ever produced by Hermès was the Haut à courroies, which made its debut in 1892. A tall bag secured with a folded leather flap (fastened with bridle-inspired straps), it was designed to transport riding boots and a harness. As the world made the switch from horse to automobile, the bag adapted, becoming a multifunctional travel satchel instead of a designated saddlebag. Today, 120 years later, the HAC remains in Hermès’s line — and its distinctive flap and clasping straps have laid the groundwork for some of the house’s other iconic bags.
In the 1930s, Robert Dumas (son-in-law to Émile-Maurice Hermès, Thierry’s grandson) designed a smaller, trapezoidal take on the flap bag with a handle and two side straps. Later, actress Grace Kelly, then engaged to Prince Rainier of Monaco, is said to have used one of these bags to conceal her pregnancy during the 1950s. Because she was photographed constantly, the coverage catapulted her handbag to international popularity. In 1977, Hermès officially renamed the model for her, and the Kelly bag was born. Each Kelly bag takes between 18 and 25 hours to produce, and its 680 hand stitches owe solely to one Hermès artisan.
Robert Dumas was also responsible for another one of the brand’s most iconic offerings: the launch of its first silk scarf on the occasion of Hermès’s 100th anniversary in 1937. Based on a woodblock designed by Dumas and printed on Chinese silk, the accessory was an immediate hit.
Today, vintage Hermès scarves, typically adorned in rich colors and elaborate patterns, serve many functions, just as they did back then. Well-heeled women wear it on their heads, around their necks and, in a genius piece of cross-promotion, tied to the straps of their Hermès bags. Kelly even once used one as a sling for her broken arm.
In 1981, Robert Dumas’s son Jean-Louis Dumas, then Hermès chairman, found himself sitting next to French actress and musician Jane Birkin on a plane, where she was complaining about finding a suitable carryall for the necessary accoutrements of motherhood. After the two travelers were properly introduced, Birkin helped design Jean-Louis’s most famous contribution to the Hermès canon: the Birkin bag, a roomy, square catchall with the HAC’s trademark leather flap top and the addition of a lock and key. Owing to the brand’s legendary commitment to deft, handcrafted construction, the Birkin is an investment that is coveted by collectors everywhere.
While the Kelly and Birkin may be standouts, gracing the arms of everyone from royal heiresses to hip-hop stars in the past few decades, the handbags are but a small part of Hermès’s fashion offerings. Since the 1920s, the brand has produced some of the most desirable leather goods in the world. There’s the Constance bag, a favorite of Jacqueline Kennedy, the recently relaunched 1970s-era Evelyne and, on the vintage market, a slew of designs dating back to the 1920s.
- CHANEL Black Quilted Lambskin Vintage Mini Classic Top Handle Flap BagBy ChanelLocated in Bishop's Stortford, HertfordshireCHANEL Black Quilted Lambskin Vintage Mini Classic Top Handle Flap Bag Serial Number: 5475800 Age (Circa): 1997 Accompanied By: Chanel Dust Bag, Authenticity Card, Care Booklet Auth...Category
1990s French Top Handle Bags$4,597Free Shipping
- Rare Hermès Mini Kelly 20 cm Sellier Bag Full Doblis Suede Black GhwBy HermèsLocated in ., FRExtremely Rare Authentic Hermès Handbag "Mini Kelly" Outside "Sellier" stitching which makes it rigid, so chic ! Made in France Stamp V in a circle (1992) Made of full Doblis (Suede) Leather and Gold plated Hardware Colorway: Black Flap lined with black doblis leather / Inside lined with black grained leather "HERMES PARIS MADE IN FRANCE" in golden letters in front and on the shoudler strap "HERMES PARIS" engraved on the hardware of the right strap 4 feet 1 main compartment and 1 slip pocket With Both Handle and Shoulder Strap ! Size: 20 cm Measurements: - 20 x 14 x 8,5 cm (7,87 x 5,51 x 3,15 inches) - Shoulder strap is 86 cm long carabiners included (33,86 inches) Condition: Very Good. Leather is in great condition. Corners in excellent condition. Stitching in mint condition. Micro scratches on hardware. Inside is clean. A slight patina due to rubbing on the back. This cute Baby Kelly...Category
1990s French Top Handle Bags$42,291 Sale Price20% Off
- Exceptional Hermès Mini Kelly Retourné 20cm Gulliver Vert Cru Ghd RAREBy HermèsLocated in ., FRExtremely Rare Authentic Hermès Bag "Mini Kelly" retourné (inside seams) Made in France Stamp V in a circle (1992) Made of Gulliver Leather (smooth, soft and supple) and Gold plated Hardware Colorway: "VERT CRU" (kind of apple / granny green) Lined with Vert Cru Leather "HERMÈS PARIS MADE IN FRANCE" in golden letters in front "HERMÈS PARIS" engraved on the hardware of the right strap 4 feet 1 main compartment and 1 slip pocket With Both Handle and Shoulder Strap ! Size: 20 cm Measurements: - 20 x 14 x 8 cm (7,87 x 5,51 x 3,15 inches) Condition: Very Good. Stitching in mint condition. Micro scratches on hardware. The gilding of the feet is tarnished. 2 slight traces on the front leather and around the notch of the strap (see last 2 photos). Inside is clean. More photos upon request This cute Baby...Category
1990s French Top Handle Bags
- Exceptional Hermès Vintage Micro Kelly 15 cm Sellier Bag Red Leather Gold HdwBy HermèsLocated in ., FRCutest Small Authentic Hermès Bag Ever ! Called "Micro Kelly" A true "It bag" ! Sellier Version (outside stitching) for a rigid shape, so chic ...Category
1990s French Top Handle Bags
- Gucci Day Bag Model Doctor's Bag in black leather.By Gucci, Tom Ford for GucciLocated in Milano, ITGucci Day Bag Model Doctor's Bag in black leather. Gucci black hammered leather duffle or day bag created by Tom Ford called Doctor's Bag. The special feature of the bag is the antique effect wooden border and handles. The Gucci logo...Category
2010s Italian Top Handle Bags
- FENDI Black Shiny Leather BagBy Fendi, Karl Lagerfeld for FendiLocated in Milano, ITRare bag of generous dimensions designed and created by Fendi, under the creative direction of Karl Lagerfeld. Branded. The interior is made of branded fabric and is fitted with a coin purse and cigarette case with lighter...Category
1990s French Evening Bags and Minaudières
Recently ViewedView All
How to Spot a Fake Hermès Birkin Bag
The iconic Birkin bag is much coveted — and often copied. Find out how to tell the real deal from a convincing fake. Of course, you don't have to worry about this on 1stDibs, where every seller is highly vetted.
These Custom and Rare Birkin Bags Are a Collector’s Dream
An Hermès Birkin might be on many fashion lovers' wish lists, but to the hardcore collector, one is never enough. For every kind of Birkin-phile, we present some of the most exclusive bags from our discerning dealers.