Hermès Natural Chamonix Leather Kelly 28cm
About the Item
For Hermès, what began as a maker of leather equestrian goods for European noblemen would eventually grow into one of the most storied fashion labels in the world. In 1837, German-born French entrepreneur Thierry Hermès opened a saddle and harness purveyor in Paris. Gradually, the house extended into accessories and luggage for its riders, and today, in paying homage to its origins, the family-run luxury brand resurfaces horse motifs in everything from clothing and modernist jewelry to pillows and handbags.
The first top-handled bag ever produced by Hermès was the Haut à courroies, which made its debut in 1892. A tall bag secured with a folded leather flap (fastened with bridle-inspired straps), it was designed to transport riding boots and a harness. As the world made the switch from horse to automobile, the bag adapted, becoming a multifunctional travel satchel instead of a designated saddlebag. Today, 120 years later, the HAC remains in Hermès’s line — and its distinctive flap and clasping straps have laid the groundwork for some of the house’s other iconic bags.
In the 1930s, Robert Dumas (son-in-law to Émile-Maurice Hermès, Thierry’s grandson) designed a smaller, trapezoidal take on the flap bag with a handle and two side straps. Later, actress Grace Kelly, then engaged to Prince Rainier of Monaco, is said to have used one of these bags to conceal her pregnancy during the 1950s. Because she was photographed constantly, the coverage catapulted her handbag to international popularity. In 1977, Hermès officially renamed the model for her, and the Kelly bag was born. Each Kelly bag takes between 18 and 25 hours to produce, and its 680 hand stitches owe solely to one Hermès artisan.
Robert Dumas was also responsible for another one of the brand’s most iconic offerings: the launch of its first silk scarf on the occasion of Hermès’s 100th anniversary in 1937. Based on a woodblock designed by Dumas and printed on Chinese silk, the accessory was an immediate hit.
Today, vintage Hermès scarves, typically adorned in rich colors and elaborate patterns, serve many functions, just as they did back then. Well-heeled women wear it on their heads, around their necks and, in a genius piece of cross-promotion, tied to the straps of their Hermès bags. Kelly even once used one as a sling for her broken arm.
In 1981, Robert Dumas’s son Jean-Louis Dumas, then Hermès chairman, found himself sitting next to French actress and musician Jane Birkin on a plane, where she was complaining about finding a suitable carryall for the necessary accoutrements of motherhood. After the two travelers were properly introduced, Birkin helped design Jean-Louis’s most famous contribution to the Hermès canon: the Birkin bag, a roomy, square catchall with the HAC’s trademark leather flap top and the addition of a lock and key. Owing to the brand’s legendary commitment to deft, handcrafted construction, the Birkin is an investment that is coveted by collectors everywhere.
While the Kelly and Birkin may be standouts, gracing the arms of everyone from royal heiresses to hip-hop stars in the past few decades, the handbags are but a small part of Hermès’s fashion offerings. Since the 1920s, the brand has produced some of the most desirable leather goods in the world. There’s the Constance bag, a favorite of Jacqueline Kennedy, the recently relaunched 1970s-era Evelyne and, on the vintage market, a slew of designs dating back to the 1920s.
Good design never goes out of style. Find a variety of vintage Hermès handbags, day dresses, shoes and more on 1stDibs.
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Bishop's Stortford, United Kingdom
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 14 days of delivery.
- Hermès Miel Mississippiensis Alligator Vintage Leather Kelly 20cmBy HermèsLocated in Bishop's Stortford, HertfordshireHermès Miel Mississippiensis Alligator Vintage Leather Kelly 20cm BRAND Hermès MODEL Kelly 20cm GENDER Women's MATERIAL(S) Brown Leather COLOUR Brown BRAND...Category
Late 20th Century French Structured Shoulder Bags$112,226Free Shipping
- CHANEL Black Chevron Quilted Lambskin Medium Classic Top Handle Flap BagBy ChanelLocated in Bishop's Stortford, HertfordshireCHANEL Black Chevron Quilted Lambskin Medium Classic Top Handle Flap Bag Xupes Reference: HB5113 Serial Number: 23714770 Age (Circa): 2017 Accompanied By: Chanel Dust Bag, Box, Auth...Category
2010s Italian Top Handle Bags$6,973Free Shipping
- HERMÈS Bleu de Prusse Swift Leather Lakis Kelly 35cmBy HermèsLocated in Bishop's Stortford, HertfordshireHERMÈS Bleu de Prusse Swift Leather Lakis Kelly 35cm Serial Number: [M] Age (Circa): 2009 Accompanied By: Hermès Dust Bag, Box, Shoulder Strap, Padlock, Keys, Clochette, Care Bookle...Category
Early 2000s French Structured Shoulder Bags$33,223Free Shipping
- CHRISTIAN DIOR White Studded Calfskin Leather Medium Lady DiorBy Christian DiorLocated in Bishop's Stortford, HertfordshireCHRISTIAN DIOR White Studded Calfskin Leather Medium Lady Dior Serial Number: 09-MA-1013 Age (Circa): 2003 Accompanied By: Christian Dior Dust Bag Authenticity Details: Date Stamp (...Category
Early 2000s Italian Top Handle Bags$3,295Free Shipping
- Chanel Red Chevron Aged Calfskin Leather Small Coco Top HandleBy ChanelLocated in Bishop's Stortford, HertfordshireChanel Red Chevron Aged Calfskin Leather Small Coco Top Handle Xupes Reference: HB5169 Serial Number: 26814854 Age (Circa): 2018 Accompanied By: Chanel Dust Bag, Authenticity Card A...Category
2010s Italian Top Handle Bags$6,022Free Shipping
- Hermès Black Box Calf Leather Vintage Kelly 20cmBy HermèsLocated in Bishop's Stortford, HertfordshireHermès Black Box Calf Leather Vintage Kelly 20cm BRAND Hermès MODEL Kelly 20cm AGE 1993 GENDER Women's MATERIAL(S) Box Calf Leather COLOUR Black HARDWARE G...Category
1990s French Top Handle Bags$44,446Free Shipping
- Moschino Cheap & Chic Black Patent Bag Blue HeartBy MoschinoLocated in Los Angeles, CAMoschino cheap & chic black patent bag blue heart This vintage bag by Moschino is a great addition to your wardrobe. Super fun heart shaped fur clasp...Category
Early 2000s Italian Top Handle Bags
- Vintage MOSCHINO Flower Massive Rigid Chain Top Handle Leather Shoulder BagBy Moschino Cheap and Chic, MoschinoLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage MOSCHINO Flower Massive Rigid Chain Top Handle Leather Shoulder Bag Measurements: Bag Height: 5.90 inches (15 cm) without the top handle Total...Category
1990s French Top Handle Bags
- Vintage YVES SAINT LAURENT Heart Plexiglass Black Silk Box BagBy Yves Saint LaurentLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage YVES SAINT LAURENT Heart Plexiglass Black Silk Box Bag Measurements: Height: 7 2/8 inches (top of heart to bottom) Width: 7 5/8 inches Depth:...Category
20th Century French Top Handle Bags
- Vintage CHRISTIAN LACROIX Baroque Metal Embellish Jewelled Velvet BagBy Christian LacroixLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage CHRISTIAN LACROIX Baroque Metal Embellish Jewelled Velvet Bag Measurements: Height: 9 inches (23 cm) Width: 7.87 inches (20 cm) Depth: 2.36 inches (6 cm) Top Handle: 12.79 ...Category
1990s French Top Handle Bags
- Vintage YSL Yves Saint Laurent Disc Beaded Fringe Wood Top Handle Hand BagBy Yves Saint LaurentLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage YSL Yves Saint Laurent Disc Beaded Fringe Wood Top Handle Hand Bag Measurements: Total Height: 24 inches (60.96 cm) handle and fringes included Width: 14 6/8 inches (37.46 c...Category
20th Century French Top Handle Bags
- Vintage KARL LAGERFELD Navy Blue Kelly BagBy Karl LagerfeldLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage KARL LAGERFELD Navy Blue Kelly Bag Measurements: Height: 11 inches (including handle) Height: 7 inches (without the handle) Width: 9 inche...Category
20th Century French Evening Bags and Minaudières
Recently ViewedView More
This Iconic Hermès Bag Is Made from an Unexpected Material: Wood
From a house that specializes in covetable objects, this version of the Kelly is the rarest of finds.
A Short History of the World’s Most Iconic Designs
Of the million-plus items on 1stdibs, some seem to have transcended time, looking as fresh today as when they were first produced. The pieces highlighted on our new Iconic Designs page stand out for longevity, functionality and quality of design and manufacture — just the tonic for the present unsettled moment.
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery