Hermès Rose Tea Ghillies 35 cm Birkin
View Similar Items
Hermès Rose Tea Ghillies 35 cm Birkin
About the Item
Since its 1984 debut, the Hermès Birkin bag has become a coveted status symbol as much as it has an exclusive collector’s piece. The handbag is among the most expensive in the world, and the appetite for the accessory is well-known inside and outside the fashion industry.
The history of the Birkin bag owes to a chance meeting on a flight from Paris to London in 1981, when British actress, singer and model Jane Birkin found herself describing her ideal handbag to another passenger. The two travelers hadn’t properly met, so it wasn’t immediately clear that she was practically brainstorming a future product with Hermès chairman Jean-Louis Dumas. When the latter identified himself, he told the star that Hermès was prepared to produce the accessory of her dreams. A discussion followed that involved rough sketches on an Air France airsickness bag, and the Birkin was introduced three years later.
A spacious and symmetrical rectangular bag that features dual handles as compared to the trapezoidal single-handle frame of the company’s popular Kelly, the Birkin has amassed a rabidly enthusiastic fan base since its inception. Because it is so pricey and sought after, the goatskin-lined Birkin has frequently been targeted by counterfeiters, and its modest aesthetic and understated branding prevent it from being easily discernible from fakes. An array of metallic hardware fixtures, most often produced in gold or palladium, helps distinguish this dynamic handcrafted tote, and likely assisted the French police officers who broke up an international counterfeit Birkin operation in 2012.
Among the characteristics that are integral to determining a Birkin’s authenticity as well as rendering it a truly desirable collector’s item are the signature lock and accompanying keys. The latter are tucked inside a lanyard made from a single piece of leather and draped around one of the handles. There are scuff-resistant base studs, too — a defense system to shield the durable leather exterior from damage should its owner park it on a gritty sidewalk. The studs are hammered in and can’t twist off, so there isn’t any danger of the bag losing its feet.
Each tote is hand-sewn according to Hermès’s centuries-old saddle-stitching technique, and the exotic leathers — a variety that includes ostrich and crocodile — are subsequently painted and polished by house craftsmen in France. Owing to the artisan construction effort behind this globally adored accessory, it may take up to several days to produce a single Birkin bag.
Jane had to wait for hers, too.
For Hermès, what began as a maker of leather equestrian goods for European noblemen would eventually grow into one of the most storied fashion labels in the world. In 1837, German-born French entrepreneur Thierry Hermès opened a saddle and harness purveyor in Paris. Gradually, the house extended into accessories and luggage for its riders, and today, in paying homage to its origins, the family-run luxury brand resurfaces horse motifs in everything from clothing and modernist jewelry to pillows and handbags.
The first top-handled bag ever produced by Hermès was the Haut à courroies, which made its debut in 1892. A tall bag secured with a folded leather flap (fastened with bridle-inspired straps), it was designed to transport riding boots and a harness. As the world made the switch from horse to automobile, the bag adapted, becoming a multifunctional travel satchel instead of a designated saddlebag. Today, 120 years later, the HAC remains in Hermès’s line — and its distinctive flap and clasping straps have laid the groundwork for some of the house’s other iconic bags.
In the 1930s, Robert Dumas (son-in-law to Émile-Maurice Hermès, Thierry’s grandson) designed a smaller, trapezoidal take on the flap bag with a handle and two side straps. Later, actress Grace Kelly, then engaged to Prince Rainier of Monaco, is said to have used one of these bags to conceal her pregnancy during the 1950s. Because she was photographed constantly, the coverage catapulted her handbag to international popularity. In 1977, Hermès officially renamed the model for her, and the Kelly bag was born. Each Kelly bag takes between 18 and 25 hours to produce, and its 680 hand stitches owe solely to one Hermès artisan.
Robert Dumas was also responsible for another one of the brand’s most iconic offerings: the launch of its first silk scarf on the occasion of Hermès’s 100th anniversary in 1937. Based on a woodblock designed by Dumas and printed on Chinese silk, the accessory was an immediate hit.
Today, vintage Hermès scarves, typically adorned in rich colors and elaborate patterns, serve many functions, just as they did back then. Well-heeled women wear it on their heads, around their necks and, in a genius piece of cross-promotion, tied to the straps of their Hermès bags. Kelly even once used one as a sling for her broken arm.
In 1981, Robert Dumas’s son Jean-Louis Dumas, then Hermès chairman, found himself sitting next to French actress and musician Jane Birkin on a plane, where she was complaining about finding a suitable carryall for the necessary accoutrements of motherhood. After the two travelers were properly introduced, Birkin helped design Jean-Louis’s most famous contribution to the Hermès canon: the Birkin bag, a roomy, square catchall with the HAC’s trademark leather flap top and the addition of a lock and key. Owing to the brand’s legendary commitment to deft, handcrafted construction, the Birkin is an investment that is coveted by collectors everywhere.
While the Kelly and Birkin may be standouts, gracing the arms of everyone from royal heiresses to hip-hop stars in the past few decades, the handbags are but a small part of Hermès’s fashion offerings. Since the 1920s, the brand has produced some of the most desirable leather goods in the world. There’s the Constance bag, a favorite of Jacqueline Kennedy, the recently relaunched 1970s-era Evelyne and, on the vintage market, a slew of designs dating back to the 1920s.
- Hermès Chalk Togo 30 cm Birkin with PalladiumBy HermèsLocated in Palm Beach, FLThis authentic Hermès Chalk Togo 30 cm Birkin is in excellent condition. Hand stitched by skilled craftsmen, wait lists of a year or more are not uncom...Category
2010s French Top Handle Bags
- Chanel Pink Brushed Caviar Mini BowlerBy ChanelLocated in Palm Beach, FLThis authentic Chanel Pink Brushed Caviar Mini Tote is in excellent plus condition. Lovely and demure mini silhouette in feminine ballerina pink with an oversized leather tassel acc...Category
Early 2000s Italian Top Handle Bags
- Hermès Miami Dolphins Horseshoe Chevre 35 cm BirkinBy HermèsLocated in Palm Beach, FLThis authentic Hermès Yellow and White Clemence 35 cm Birkin is in pristine condition. Hermès bags are handstitched and usually require extensive wait lists. This uniquely bicolor...Category
21st Century and Contemporary French Top Handle Bags
- Hermès Tomato Red Togo 25 cm BirkinBy HermèsLocated in Palm Beach, FLThis authentic Hermès Tomato Red 25 cm Birkin is in pristine condition with the protective plastic on much of the hardware. Hand stitched by skilled craft...Category
2010s French Top Handle Bags
- Hermès Vert Anis Clemence Leather 27 cm Bolide BagBy HermèsLocated in Palm Beach, FLThis authentic Hermès Vert Anis Clemence Leather 27 cm Bolide is in very good condition. It has enjoyed a previous life and may have some small imperfections. The rounded top satch...Category
Early 2000s French Top Handle Bags
- Vintage CHRISTIAN DIOR Black and White Tweed Mini Lady Dior Two-Way HandbagBy Christian DiorLocated in Bangkok, THThe most iconic Christian Dior handbag, the Lady Dior, in honor of Diana, Princess of Wales. It was the handbag Dior wished to give the Princess of Wales to carry on the occasion of ...Category
1990s Italian Top Handle Bags
- Louis Vuitton Florentine Papillon Bedford Noisette 872932 Beige Monogram VernisBy Louis VuittonLocated in Dix hills, NY(Outside) Minor spots partially (Outside) Minor spot on the edge of the bottom (zipper) Zipper works properly Width (inch) : 12.2 inch(approx) Width (cm) : 31 cm(approx) Height ...Category
20th Century Top Handle Bags
- Balenciaga Agneau Boarskin Leather TriColor Classic Hardware Work City Bag 88ba5Located in Dix hills, NYDate Code/Serial Number: 132110-4973 497717 Made In: Italy Measurements: Length: 18" Width: 7" Height: 11.5" Handle Drop: 5.5" OVERALL GOOD minus CONDITION ( 6.5/10 or BC ) Acc...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Top Handle Bags
- Giorgio Armani Light Grey Leather Flap Top Handle BagBy Giorgio ArmaniLocated in Dubai, Al Qouz 2A timeless creation, this bag perfectly balances simplicity with sophistication. It is created from high-quality materials with a top handle to carry it around effortlessly. The perf...Category
2010s Italian Top Handle Bags
- Fendi Peekaboo Large Canvas HandbagBy FendiLocated in Scottsdale, AZFendi Peekaboo Handbag Canvas Large is one of Fendi best known designs exuding a luxurious yet minimalist appearance. Crafted in off white canvas, this versatile and stylish satchel ...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Top Handle Bags
- Alexander Wang Stud-Bottom Cream Leather Rocco Duffel BagBy Alexander WangLocated in Montreal, QuebecCOLOR: Cream MATERIAL: Leather MEASURES: 8” x L 9” x D 6” DROP: 4” (top handle) and 18” (shoulder strap) CONDITION: Good - small stain, discoloration, light scratches, clean. Made i...Category
20th Century Italian Top Handle Bags
Recently ViewedView All
How to Spot a Fake Hermès Birkin Bag
The iconic Birkin bag is much coveted — and often copied. Find out how to tell the real deal from a convincing fake. Of course, you don't have to worry about this on 1stDibs, where every seller is highly vetted.
These Custom and Rare Birkin Bags Are a Collector’s Dream
An Hermès Birkin might be on many fashion lovers' wish lists, but to the hardcore collector, one is never enough. For every kind of Birkin-phile, we present some of the most exclusive bags from our discerning dealers.