- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Vintage YVES SAINT LAURENT Heart Plexiglass Black Silk Box Bag
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingShips From: Kingersheim, France
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 2 days of delivery.
About the Manufacturer
Yves Saint Laurent
French fashion designer Yves Saint Laurent pioneered “cross-design” in fashion, taking inspiration from street trends to modernize haute couture.
Saint Laurent was the first to launch a ready-to-wear label, YSL Rive Gauche Prêt-à-Porter. He was the first couturier to open boutiques for both men and women. Using traditional menswear fabrics and designs for women, Saint Laurent also literally cross-dressed, giving men and women alike chic pant suits, elegant tuxedo jackets and urban safari gear. By blurring gender-specific design, he empowered individual style while creating a scissor-sharp fashion aesthetic of sensual ease and beauty. Many of his designs are today considered timeless classics. Saint Laurent also consistently used Black models, like Mounia, Iman and Naomi Campbell, and he drew endless inspiration from different ethnicities and cultures, in no small part because of his Algerian roots.
Born to French parents in Oran, Algeria, in 1936, Saint Laurent went to Paris at age 17 to study fashion at the Chambre Syndicale de la Haute Couture. Just two years later, in 1955, his remarkable sketches were shown to Christian Dior, then the world’s reigning couturier, who hired him immediately.
Surprisingly soon thereafter, Dior publicly chose Saint Laurent as his successor, which sadly proved prescient when the fashion legend died unexpectedly, in 1957. A mere slip of a youth, the 21-year-old Saint Laurent was nevertheless up to the challenge. He shook the traditional couture clientele to its core with youthful silhouettes and styles like the A-line trapeze dress that hung with seeming effortlessness from the shoulders, the antithesis of the pinched waists and molded skirts that had been all the rage after the deprivations of World War II.
After a mandated spell in the torturous French military, Saint Laurent suffered a nervous breakdown and was dismissed by Dior in 1962. Out of the ashes rose the Age of Yves. With Pierre Bergé, his then-lover who became his lifelong business partner and friend, the designer founded Yves Saint Laurent YSL to encompass prêt-à-porter, or ready-to-wear. In 1966, they opened the first YSL Rive Gauche women’s boutique in Paris, followed soon thereafter by YSL Rive Gauche for men. Saint Laurent had given birth to a global brand.
His revolutionary Mondrian mini dress from 1965 is a core element of his fashion biography. It is a prime example of how Saint Laurent, an avid art lover and collector, looked to painters, from Goya to Picasso, Ingres to Matisse, for inspiration.
With its pure lines and hues, Mondrian’s ground-breaking 1935 color-block painting Composition C transmutes beautifully into a dress that is highly valued by collectors of contemporary fashion and widely copied commercially to this day. The design is the epitome of Saint Laurent’s aesthetic, requiring a meticulous hand piecing of each color block so that, despite the body’s curves, the visual plane is as flat as a canvas when the garment is worn. Mondrian’s purity met its match in Saint Laurent.
“I am no longer concerned with sensation and innovation, but with the perfection of my style,” Saint Laurent said four years before retiring, in 2002. After a long period of ill health, he died at his home in Paris on June 1, 2008.
- Vintage KARL LAGERFELD Navy Blue Kelly BagBy Karl LagerfeldLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage KARL LAGERFELD Navy Blue Kelly Bag Measurements: Height: 11 inches (including handle) Height: 7 inches (without the handle) Width: 9 inches Depth: 2 6/8 inches Features: - ...Category
20th Century French Evening Bags and Minaudières
- Vintage JEAN PAUL GAULTIER Junior Leather Trapezoid Hard Box BagBy Gaultier Junior, Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage JEAN PAUL GAULTIER Junior Leather Trapezoid Hard Box Bag Measurements: Height: 7 inches (17.78 cm) Top Width: 12 inches (30.48 cm) Bottom Width: 10 inches (25.4 cm) Depth: 3...Category
20th Century French Top Handle Bags
- Vintage CHRISTIAN LACROIX Baroque Metal Embellish Jewelled Velvet BagBy Christian LacroixLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage CHRISTIAN LACROIX Baroque Metal Embellish Jewelled Velvet Bag Measurements: Height: 9 inches (23 cm) Width: 7.87 inches (20 cm) Depth: 2.36 inches (6 cm) Top Handle: 12.79 ...Category
1990s French Top Handle Bags
- Vintage YSL Yves Saint Laurent Disc Beaded Fringe Wood Top Handle Hand BagBy Yves Saint LaurentLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage YSL Yves Saint Laurent Disc Beaded Fringe Wood Top Handle Hand Bag Measurements: Total Height: 24 inches (60.96 cm) handle and fringes included Width: 14 6/8 inches (37.46 c...Category
20th Century French Top Handle Bags
- Vintage GIANNI VERSACE COUTURE Black Raw Silk Passementerie Tassel Clutch BagBy Gianni Versace Couture, Gianni VersaceLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage GIANNI VERSACE COUTURE Black Raw Silk Passementerie Tassel Clutch Bag Measurements: Height: 5.31 inches (13.5 cm) Width: 7.67 inches (19.5 cm) Tassel: 11.81 inches (30 cm) S...Category
1990s Italian Clutches
- Vintage PIERRE CARDIN Lucite Plexiglass Clutch Shoulder BagBy Pierre CardinLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage PIERRE CARDIN Lucite Plexiglass Clutch Shoulder Bag Measurements: Height: 5 7/8 inches Width: 7 4/8 inches Depth: 1 inch Strap: 39 4/8 inches Features: - 100% Authentic LAN...Category
1970s French Shoulder Bags
You May Also Like
1990s French Top Handle Bags
Late 20th Century Evening Bags and Minaudières
Early 2000s French Top Handle Bags
Late 20th Century French Evening Bags and Minaudières
1960s American Evening Bags and Minaudières
1960s French Evening Bags and Minaudières
1930s British Evening Bags and Minaudières
21st Century and Contemporary Evening Bags and Minaudières
Early 2000s French Evening Bags and Minaudières
1930s American Evening Bags and Minaudières
Recently ViewedView More
The Stories behind the Most Famous Luxury Fashion Logos
From Chanel to YSL, the logos of some legacy fashion houses spark instant brand recognition and have come to symbolize a kind of luxury that feels at once aspirational and attainable.
14 Iconic Luxury Handbags and the Stories behind Them
When the name of a bag is as well-known as its brand, you know it's a classic.
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery