Jean Prouvé, Panel, Institut de l'Environnement, 1969

Buyer Protection Guaranteed

About

This panel comes from the facade of the Institute of the Environment, built in Paris in 1969. The institution closed in 1972, and the building was later used by the Ecole Nationale Supérieur des Arts Décoratifs until it was demolished in the mid-1990s.

Details

  • Condition
    Good
  • Dimensions
    105.51 in. H x 70.08 in. W x 2.36 in. D
    268 cm H x 178 cm W x 6 cm D
  • Seller Location
    Paris, France
  • Number of Items
    1
  • Reference Number
    LU262637490613

About Jean Prouvé (Designer)

Engineer and metalsmith, self-taught designer and architect, manufacturer and teacher, Jean Prouvé was a key force in the evolution of 20th-century French design, introducing a style that combined economy of means and stylistic chic. Along with his frequent client and collaborator Le Corbusier and others, Prouvé, using his practical skills and his understanding of industrial materials, steered French modernism onto a path that fostered principled, democratic approaches to architecture and design.

     Prouvé was born in Nancy, a city with a deep association with the decorative arts. (It is home, for example, to the famed Daum crystal manufactory.) His father, Victor Prouvé, was a ceramist and a friend and co-worker of such stars of the Art Nouveau era as glass artist Émile Gallé and furniture maker Louis Majorelle. Jean Prouvé apprenticed to a blacksmith, studied engineering, and produced ironwork for such greats of French modernism as the architect Robert Mallet-Stevens. In 1931, he opened the firm Atelier Prouvé. There, he perfected techniques in folded metal that resulted in his “Standard” chair (1934) and other designs aimed at institutions such as schools and hospitals.

     During World War II, Prouvé was a member of the French Resistance, and his first post-war efforts were devoted to designing metal pre-fab housing for those left homeless by the conflict. In the 1950s, Prouvé would unite with Charlotte Perriand and Pierre Jeanneret (Le Corbusier’s cousin) on numerous design projects. In 1952, he and Perriand and artist Sonia Delaunay created pieces for the Cité Internationale Universitaire foundation in Paris, which included the colorful, segmented bookshelves that are likely Prouvé’s and Perriand’s best-known designs. The pair also collaborated on 1954’s “Antony” line of furniture, which again, like the works on these pages, demonstrated a facility for combining material strength with lightness of form.

     Prouvé spent his latter decades mostly as a teacher. His work has recently won new appreciation: in 2008 the hotelier Andre Balazs purchased at auction (hammer price: just under $5 million) the Maison Tropicale, a 1951 architectural prototype house that could be shipped flat-packed, and was meant for use by Air France employees in the Congo. Other current Prouvé collectors include Brad Pitt, Larry Gagosian, Martha Stewart, and the fashion designer Marc Jacobs. The rediscovery of Jean Prouvé — given not only the aesthetic and practical power of his designs, but also the social conscience his work represents — marks one of the signal “good” aspects of collecting vintage 20th century design. An appreciation of Jean Prouvé is an appreciation of human decency.

About the Seller

1stdibs seller since 2017

Typical response time: 16 hours

Located in Paris, FR

More from this Seller

Jean Prouvé, Panel, 1954
Jean Prouvé, Panel, 1954
Jean Prouvé
Aluminum, Glass
This panel comes from the facade of the Hôpital de Briançon in France, designed and made by the Ateliers Jean Prouvé in 1954.
Jean Prouvé, CIMT Window Façade Panel, 1963
Jean Prouvé, CIMT Window Façade Panel, 1963
Jean Prouvé
Aluminum, Glass
This aluminium panel from 1963 was part of the facade at the CIMT headquarters in Neuilly-sur-Seine, just outside of Paris.  
Jean Prouvé, Large Sun Shutter, 1962-1965
Jean Prouvé, Large Sun Shutter, 1962-1965
Jean Prouvé
Aluminum
This large seven-blade aluminium sun shutter comes from the La Dullague school complex in Béziers, France, where it was originally placed on the exterior of the building and could be op...