- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
One Cup 1900s Sterling Silver Wide Brim & Wood Handle Tea Strainer by Gorham
About the Item
- Creator:Gorham Manufacturing Company (Maker)
- Dimensions:Height: 8.5 in (21.59 cm)Width: 4 in (10.16 cm)Depth: 1 in (2.54 cm)
- Materials and Techniques:
- Place of Origin:
- Date of Manufacture:1900s
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use.
- Seller Location:Brooklyn, NY
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU7758231649062
Gorham Manufacturing Company
When silversmiths Jabez Gorham and Henry Webster started making coin silver teaspoons and jewelry out of a small workshop in Providence, Rhode Island, in 1831, the pair likely had no idea that their modest operation would one day become the largest silver manufacturer in the world.
While some name changes and personnel shifts preceded the foundry officially being established as Gorham Manufacturing Company decades later, growth of the business between its early days and the mid–19th century can largely be attributed to the work of Jabez’s son John, who assumed control of Gorham in the 1840s.
John Gorham introduced steam power at the manufactory. He entered into a partnership with Michael Gibney, the first American silversmith to register a design patent for a flatware pattern. Gorham wanted to expand the business, seeking to produce forks and spoons adorned with decorative flourishes adapted from British patterns. The company hammered out the silver flatware, which it sent to Gibney in New York to apply decorative patterns before returning to Gorham. Consequently, Gorham found Gibney’s work unsatisfactory, and he purchased his own rolling press to do the work himself.
The partnership between John and Michael soured but the company thrived. Sales grew to more than $20,000 per year, and the staff of silversmiths expanded. To keep up with demand, Gorham had to retire its horse-powered rolling press and import a steam-powered drop press from England — the first used in the United States. Designs created at Gorham drew on natural-world motifs as well as artistic traditions from all over the world — alongside its tableware, the company would soon be producing cups and pitchers adorned with polar bears and forest creatures, while tea services and other serving pieces were crafted in a range of styles that included Art Nouveau, Egyptian Revival and Rococo.
Around 1860, Gorham delved into bronze casting. When it opened a division dedicated to bronze work, Gorham collaborated with sculptors such as Daniel Chester French, Anna Hyatt Huntington and Alexander P. Proctor.
By the 1920s, Gorham had employed thousands of workers and had partnered with Danish modernist silversmith Erik Magnussen. However, the Great Depression ground production to a halt. The company was sold to Textron, Inc. in the late 1960s and it changed hands several times before it sold to Department 56 in 2005.
Today, the work of Gorham Manufacturing Company continues to be exhibited in galleries and museums. The RISD Museum in Providence houses a collection of nearly 5,000 works.
On 1stDibs, find a range of antique Gorham Manufacturing Company serveware and decorative objects.
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Brooklyn, NY
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 14 days of delivery.
- Late 19th C. Monogrammed Sterling Silver Individual Tea StrainerLocated in Brooklyn, NYMr. Giallo is opening his personal vault to sell a collection of his treasured antiques he's held on for so long. ABOUT ITEM Late 19th C. Monogrammed Sterling Silver...Category
Antique Late 19th Century Tea SetsMaterials
- Tiffany & Co Early 20th C. Goldwash Repoussé Sterling Silver TrayBy Tiffany & Co.Located in Brooklyn, NYMr. Giallo is opening his personal vault to sell a collection of his treasured antiques he's held on for so long. ABOUT ITEM Beautifully crafted, very sturdy and heavy. Item origina...Category
Early 20th Century American Sterling SilverMaterials
- French Late 19th Century Ham Bone HoldersLocated in Brooklyn, NYMr. Giallo is opening his personal vault to sell a collection of his treasured antiques he's held on for so long. About item Item originally bought by Vito at Sotheby's Auction, ...Category
Antique Late 19th Century French Serving PiecesMaterials
- Late 19th Century Sterling Silver & Bone Handle CrumberLocated in Brooklyn, NYMr. Giallo is opening his personal vault to sell a collection of his treasured antiques he's held on for so long. ABOUT ITEM Item originally bought by Vito at Sotheby's Auction, ...Category
Antique Late 19th Century English Serving PiecesMaterials
- Sterling Poultry Sheers Stainless Blade Silver Handles Ambassador ItalyLocated in Brooklyn, NYMr. Giallo is opening his personal vault to sell a collection of his treasured antiques he's held on for so long. About item: Incredible Italian silver scissors that were once us...Category
20th Century Sterling SilverMaterials
Silver, Sterling Silver, Stainless Steel
- Sterling Silver Hand Painted Enamel Cigarette Case Signed by F. V. ReznicekBy Ferdinand von ReznicekLocated in Brooklyn, NYGiallo is opening his personal vault, to sell a collection of his treasured antiques he's held on for so long. About item. Ferdinand von Reznicek, Hallmark Crescent Crown 935 Sterl...Category
Antique Late 19th Century Art Nouveau Tobacco AccessoriesMaterials
Sterling Silver, Enamel
- Meissen Porcelain Dinner Service, 189 PiecesBy Meissen PorcelainLocated in New Orleans, LAComprising an incredible 189 pieces, this impressive Meissen porcelain dinner service is an exceptional example of the firm's prized dinnerware. The bodies are crafted in the New Brandenstein relief pattern designed by Johann Friedrich Eberlein in 1744, which gives this service a distinct Rococo feel. The hand-painted enamel detailing is known as the Flowers and Insects motif and is executed with stunning vibrancy and intricacy. Since each piece is executed entirely by hand, no two pieces bear the exact same adornments.
Similar, single dining pieces are featured in Meissen Domestic Porcelain by Günther Sterba, 1991, figures 83 through 86.
The pieces bear the Meissen blue crossed swords that date this service between 1850/60-1924.
97 dinner plates, 9 1/2" diameter
44 luncheon plates, 8" diameter
21 soup bowls, 9 1/2" diameter
13 dessert plates, 5 3/4" diameter
2 oval serving platters, 22 1/4" wide x 16 3/4" deep
2 vegetable dishes with lids, 11" diameter
a round bowl, 15 1/4" diameter
a round serving platter, 13 1/4" diameter
an oblong serving platter, 21 1/2" wide x 10 1/4" deep
an oblong platter, 23" wide x 11" deep
an oval platter, 18 1/4" wide x 14" deep
an oval platter, 20 1/4" wide x 15 1/2" deep
a large soup tureen
a large soup tureen platter
a small soup tureen
a small ladleCategory
Antique 19th Century German Rococo PorcelainMaterials
Porcelain$248,500 / set
- Vintage Canteen x 12 Silver Plated Cutlery Set Mid-20th CenturyLocated in London, GBThis is a stunning vintage 12 place setting A1 Sheffield England, silver plated cutlery set by the renowned Sheffield silversmith John Turton, dating fr...Category
Vintage 1950s English Sheffield and SilverplateMaterials
- Wedgwood Georgian Floral Painted Drab Glazed Pottery Teapot & CoverBy WedgwoodLocated in Bishop's Stortford, HertfordshireA scarce Georgian English pottery teapot and cover hand painted with floral designs by Wedgwood and dating from the early 19th Century. The teapot is lightly potted and is of squat r...Category
Antique 1810s English George III Tea SetsMaterials
- Antique Chinese Blossoming Branch Tea Strainer for a Delicate BlendLocated in New York, NYChinese silver tea strainer, ca 1910. Deep and pierced bowl and wide shoulder with blossoming prunus branch on stippled ground; rim scrolled. Plain cylindrical handle. Cylindrical ha...Category
Early 20th Century Chinese Chinese Export Sterling SilverMaterials
- Art Nouveau Aesthetic Sterling Tea Strainer, C.1890Located in Toronto, OntarioRare Art Nouveau Aesthetic sterling tea strainer, probably American C.1890. Decorated with light vermeil floral leaf decoration surround to we...Category
Antique Late 19th Century Aesthetic Movement Sterling SilverMaterials
- Florentine by Gorham Sterling Silver Flatware Service with Provenance 426 PiecesBy Gorham Manufacturing CompanyLocated in Big Bend, WIMonumental figural Florentine by Gorham sterling silver Flatware set - 426 pieces. This pattern was designed by William Codman and patented in 1901. It features the Greek God of Nort...Category
Early 20th Century Sterling SilverMaterials
- 20th Century Spanish Silver Rococo Style Tea and Coffee ServiceLocated in London, GB20th century Spanish silver Rococo style tea and coffee service, Spanish, 20th century Kettle on stand: Height 44cm, width 23cm, depth 16cm Milk jug: Height 12cm, width 13cm, depth 9cm Comprising of a solid silver tray, teapot, coffee pot, sugar bowl, milk jug, strainer, and large kettle...Category
Mid-20th Century Spanish Rococo Tea SetsMaterials
- Vintage Stained Glass Sun Catcher Barracuda Fish Studio Art Whimsical 35"Located in Dayton, OHVintage large studio art glass stained glass wall hanging / sun catcher in the shape of a stylized taxidermy barracuda with a big cobalt blue eye.Category
Late 20th Century Modern Decorative ArtMaterials
- Contemporary Modern, Çini Porcelain Breakfast Plate, Decorated on Both, Set of 6By DAY StudioLocated in İstanbul, İstanbulÇini porcelain plates derived from an extensive research and deconstruction of traditional Ottoman tile work. While the patterns are repeated regularly...Category
2010s Turkish Modern Dinner PlatesMaterials
- Very Early Carved Wood Tribal Kuba Figural Cup, Congo, Africa Sweet FaceLocated in Point Richmond, CAEarly finely carved hard wood tribal Kuba figural cup, Congo with rich and deep patina. In the form of a naturalistic sweet face and handle on back. Wonderful asymmetrical incised cl...Category
Early 20th Century Congolese Tribal Tribal ArtMaterials
- Fine Gorham Sterling Silver Tea and Coffee ServiceBy Gorham Manufacturing CompanyLocated in West Palm Beach, FLFine sterling silver tea and coffee service An American silver six piece tea and coffee set, Gorham Manufacturing Co., Pro...Category
20th Century Tea SetsMaterials
- Vintage 1970s Russian Silver Gilt and Polychrome Cloisonné Enamel Tea StrainerLocated in Jesmond, Newcastle Upon TyneAn exceptional, fine and impressive vintage Russian silver gilt and polychrome cloisonné enamel tea strainer; an addition to our silver tea ware collection. This exceptional vintage Russian silver gilt and polychrome cloisonné enamel tea strainer has a circular rounded form. The bowl of the tea strainer is embellished with a pierced concentric circular design, encircled with Dual bands of white enamel bead motifs to the rim. The tapering handle is embellished with an impressive cloisonné enamel floral and foliate design in tones of blue and green, accented with further bands of white enamel circular motifs encompassing the concave thumb piece. The enamel segments are encompassed with applied silver paralleling rope twist ornamentation. This fine Russian silver enamel tea strainer retains the original gilding. The hallmarks to the reverse surface of the bowl include: Maker's mark: ??? (Untraced) Soviet silver...Category
Vintage 1970s Russian Tea SetsMaterials
- Neoclassical Sterling Silver Child's Cup/Mug by GorhamBy Gorham Manufacturing CompanyLocated in New York, NYNeoclassical, sterling silver child's mug/cup, Gorham Mfg. Co, Providence, Rhode Island, circa 1860. Handle is decorated with a neoclassical woman's head. Interior is lightly gilded....Category
Antique 1860s American Neoclassical Sterling SilverMaterials
- Tiffany & Co., Sterling Silver Complete Tea and Coffee SetBy Tiffany & Co.Located in West Palm Beach, FLTiffany & Co. An American silver seven-piece tea and coffee set, New York, circa 1907-1957 (directorship John C. Moore) Comprised of a sterling silver Teapot, sterling silver coffee pot, sterling silver kettle on sterling silver Lampstand, sterling silver creamer, sterling silver covered sugar bowl...Category
20th Century Tea SetsMaterials
- Georg Jensen Sterling Silver Tea Strainer and Tea Strainer Holder #34By Georg JensenLocated in Copenhagen, DKGeorg Jensen sterling silver tea strainer and tea strainer holder #34. Measures: 4 cm H (1 37/64"). The strainers diameter is 6.5 cm (2 9/16"). Combin...Category
Mid-20th Century Danish Tea SetsMaterials
- Art Deco Five-Piece Tea and Coffee Set with Wood Handles and TrayBy Argentor of ViennaLocated in Buenos Aires, OlivosA silvered Art Deco five-piece tea and coffee set from the 20th century. The set comprises a teapot, a coffee pot, a creamer and a covered sugar bowl, all with flattened round bodies...Category
Vintage 1920s Austrian Art Deco Tea SetsMaterials
Recently ViewedView More
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery