- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Verner Panton for Vitra Red Amoebe Highback Armchair
- DimensionsHeight: 51.19 in. (130 cm)Width: 24.41 in. (62 cm)Depth: 31.5 in. (80 cm)Seat Height: 13.78 in. (35 cm)
- Materials and Techniques
- Place of Origin
- Date of Manufacturecirca 2000
- ConditionWear consistent with age and use. Minor fading. Good condition with some fading to the top of the backrest and some marks on the fabric.
- Seller LocationLondon, GB
- Reference NumberSeller: OC000211stDibs: LU4510225684422
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingShips From: London, United Kingdom
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 14 days of delivery.
About the Designer
Verner Panton introduced the word “groovy” — or at least its Danish equivalent — into the Scandinavian modern design lexicon. He developed fantastical, futuristic forms and embraced bright colors and new materials such as plastic, fabric-covered polyurethane foam and steel-wire framing. And Panton’s ebullient Pop art sensibility made him an international design star of the 1960s and ’70s. This radical departure from classic Danish modernism, however, actually stemmed from his training under the greats of that design style.
Born on the largely rural Danish island of Funen, Panton studied architecture and engineering at Copenhagen’s Royal Danish Academy of Fine Arts, where the lighting designer Poul Henningsen was one of his teachers. After graduating, in 1951, Panton worked in the architectural office of Arne Jacobsen, and he became a close friend of Hans Wegner's.
Henningsen taught a scientific approach to design; Jacobsen was forever researching new materials; and Wegner, the leader in modern furniture design using traditional woodworking and joinery, encouraged experimental form. Panton opened his own design office in 1955, issuing tubular steel chairs with woven seating. His iconoclastic aesthetic was announced with his 1958 Cone chair, modified a year later as the Heart Cone chair. Made of upholstered sheet metal and with a conical base in place of legs, the design shocked visitors to a Copenhagen furniture fair.
Panton went on to successive bravura technical feats. His curving, stackable 1960 Panton chair, his most popular design, was the first chair to be made from a single piece of molded plastic. Three years later, he introduced the S model, the first legless chair crafted from a single piece of plywood, cantilevered on a round metal base. Panton would spend the latter 1960s and early ’70s developing all-encompassing room environments composed of sinuous and fluid-formed modular seating made of foam and metal wire. He also created a series of remarkable lighting designs, most notably his Fun chandeliers — introduced in 1964 and composed of scores of shimmering capiz-shell disks — and the Space Age VP Globe pendant light of 1969.
As you will see from the offerings on 1stDibs, Verner Panton’s designs are made to stand out and put an eye-catching exclamation point on even the most modern decor.
- Vitra by Jasper Morrison Park Brown Leather ArmchairsBy Vitra, Jasper MorrisonLocated in London, GBDesigned by Jasper Morrison for Vitra in 2004, the park armchair has a sleek and modern aesthetic. The chairs have a cubic silhouette, with a solid wood frame and sits on four pol...Category
Early 2000s German ArmchairsMaterials
- Knoll by Eero Saarinen Womb Medium Red ArmchairBy KnollLocated in London, GBThis iconic chair was designed by prolific designer Eero Saarinen in 1948. Eero Saarinen designed the groundbreaking womb chair at Florence Knoll's request for “a chair that was li...Category
21st Century and Contemporary ArmchairsMaterials
Fabric$3,233 Sale Price30% Off
- Vitra Jasper Morrison Park Leather Armchairs, Set of 2By Jasper Morrison, VitraLocated in London, GBDesigned by Jasper Morrison for Vitra in 2004, the Park armchair has a sleek and modern aesthetic. The chairs have a cubic silhouette, with a solid wood frame and sits on four pol...Category
Early 2000s German ArmchairsMaterials
- Walter Knoll Brown Leather Armchairs, Set of TwoBy Walter KnollLocated in London, GBSleek and simple, this pair of Walter Knoll armchairs have a Classic silhouette. Featuring slim chrome frames and soft brown leather upholstery, the chairs balance a sharp aesthet...Category
2010s German Lounge ChairsMaterials
Leather$4,241 / set
- Minotti Klee Black Leather Armchair by Rodolfo DordoniBy Minotti, Rodolfo DordoniLocated in London, GBDesigned by Rodolfo Dordoni for Minotti, the klee armchair has a sleek, modern silhouette. The chair has a bold cube-like shape, contrasted by a finer, geometric base constructed ...Category
2010s Italian ArmchairsMaterials
- Tatra Nábytok Bentwood No.24-23 Grey Armchair, 1960sBy Tatra Pravenec, Frantisek JirakLocated in London, GBDesigned by František Jirák for Tatra Nábytok, this No.24-23 chair is a fantastic example of mid century modern design. Featuring bent plywood armrests which contrast the angular ...Category
Vintage 1960s Czech ArmchairsMaterials
Beech$1,063 Sale Price30% Off
You May Also Like
Early 2000s European Post-Modern Lounge Chairs
2010s German Mid-Century Modern Lounge Chairs
Vintage 1960s Danish Scandinavian Modern Lounge Chairs
Vintage 1970s Danish Scandinavian Modern Lounge Chairs
Vintage 1970s Danish Mid-Century Modern Armchairs
Early 2000s German Post-Modern Chairs
Vintage 1970s French Mid-Century Modern Armchairs
Late 20th Century European Mid-Century Modern Side Chairs
Mid-20th Century European Mid-Century Modern Dining Room Chairs
Vintage 1970s Danish Lounge Chairs
Recently ViewedView More
113 Chairs That Prove Danish Design Isn’t Limited to Denmark
In an innovative display, the Designmuseum Danmark is permanently exhibiting the 20th century's most iconic seats.
Verner Panton’s Bold Designs From the 1960s and ’70s Are Showing Up Everywhere
From high-fashion runways to a brand-new book, the groovy, futurist work of this groundbreaking Danish creative is receiving newfound — and much deserved — attention.
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery