- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Mario Bellini Le Mura Poufs for Cassina in New Leather, Italy, circa 1970
- DimensionsHeight: 15.75 in. (40 cm)Width: 35.44 in. (90 cm)Depth: 35.44 in. (90 cm)Seat Height: 15.75 in. (40 cm)
- StyleMid-Century Modern (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques
- Place of Origin
- Date of Manufacturecirca 1970
- ConditionReupholstered. new leather.
- Seller LocationPijnacker, NL
- Reference Number1stDibs: LU1712228332782
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingCustoms Duties & Taxes May Apply.Ships From: Pijnacker, Netherlands
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 7 days of delivery.
About the Designer
Milan-born architect and designer Mario Bellini just may be the closest thing to a modern-day Renaissance man: His creative output spans genres, from electronics to furniture to architecture to cars, comprising iconic designs in each. He has been the recipient of multiple prestigious Compasso d’Oro design awards, and more than 20 of his works are in the permanent collection of the Museum of Modern Art.
Born in 1935, Bellini studied architecture at the Polytechnic University of Milan before founding his own firm in his native city in the early 1960s. He soon branched out beyond architecture, however, first for the tech manufacturer Olivetti, where he served as chief industrial design consultant from 1963 to 1991. During that time, Bellini oversaw the design of some of Olivetti’s most popular typewriters.
His penchant for electronic design didn’t stop there: Bellini also designed cameras for Fuji, televisions for Brionvega and a slew of audio devices for Yamaha, then served as design consultant for Renault and devised the interior of the 1980 Lancia Trevi for Fiat. Meanwhile, his architecture work spans continents, including such modern gems as the Museum of Islamic Arts at the Louvre, the National Gallery of Victoria extension in Melbourne, the Dubai Creek Complex and the Milan Convention Centre in his hometown.
And then there’s the furniture: Over the last 70 years, Bellini has designed office furniture for Vitra; lamps for Artemide, Erco and FLOS; porcelain for Rosenthal and long-admired sofas and other seating for Kartell, Natuzzi, B&B Italia, Cassina and more.
His oft-imitated 1977 Cab chair for Cassina, comprising 16 individual pieces of saddle leather that create a “skin” over a minimal metal frame, remains one of the manufacturer’s best sellers today. His pudgy-legged, round tables for Cassina foreshadow Faye Toogood’s widely loved Roly Poly line. His postmodern Summa armchairs for Kartell, as well as his elegant Chiara floor lamp, still lure collectors on vintage furniture websites.
Bellini’s most famous contribution to furniture design, though, may be his 1970 Camaleonda sofa for B&B Italia (then C&B Italia). An entrant to the 1972 MoMA show “Italy: The New Domestic Landscape,” the seat takes its name from the Italian words for chameleon and wave. Its bulbous, modular form makes it infinitely flexible. The sofa was a runaway hit at the show and, once discontinued, remained so popular among vintage dealers that B&B Italia reissued it in 2020 with all recycled materials and interchangeable seat covers. “Of all the objects I have designed, Camaleonda is perhaps the best in terms of its sense of freedom,” Bellini said.
- Mario Bellini Le Mura Daybed in Original Mohair Velvet, Italy, 1972By Mario Bellini, CassinaLocated in Pijnacker, Zuid-HollandRare ‘Le Mura’ daybed by Mario Bellini for Cassina – Italy, 1972. The daybed still has the original Mohair velvet fabric. Designer: Mario Bellini Manufacturer: Cassina Country:...Category
Vintage 1970s Italian Mid-Century Modern DaybedsMaterials
- Soriana Pouf in Original Tan Leather by Tobia Scarpa for Cassina, Italy, 1970By Cassina, Afra & Tobia ScarpaLocated in Pijnacker, Zuid-HollandSoriana pouf in original tan leather by Tobia Scarpa for Cassina – Italy, circa 1970. Original leather in good condition with signs of use and patina. No tears or holes. Chrome is...Category
Vintage 1970s Italian Mid-Century Modern Ottomans and PoufsMaterials
- Soriana Chairs and Ottomans by Tobia Scarpa for Cassina, Italy, 1969By Cassina, Afra & Tobia ScarpaLocated in Pijnacker, Zuid-HollandGorgeous pair of Soriana chairs and poufs by Afra & Tobia Scarpa for Cassina, Italy, circa 1970. Please note: the listed set price is for one pair (1 chair + 1 pouf). We have two pai...Category
Vintage 1960s Italian Mid-Century Modern Lounge ChairsMaterials
- Togo Ligne Roset Sofa by Michel Ducaroy in Tan Leather, France, circa 1970By Ligne Roset, Michel DucaroyLocated in Pijnacker, Zuid-Holland1970's period original Togo sofa and corner seat in tan / cognac leather by Michel Ducaroy for Ligne Roset, France – circa 1970. This set is period original and still remains in good...Category
Vintage 1970s French Mid-Century Modern SofasMaterials
- Giuseppe Munari Channeled Sectional Sofa by Poltrona Munari, Italy, circa 1970By Federico MunariLocated in Pijnacker, Zuid-HollandRare sectional sofa by Giuseppe Munari for Poltrona Munari, Italy circa 1970. This sofa features 7 elements that can be arranged to in different set-ups to your own liking. The fab...Category
Vintage 1970s Italian Mid-Century Modern Sectional SofasMaterials
- Three Gli Scacchi Side/Coffee Tables by Mario Bellini for C&B ItaliaBy Mario Bellini, C&B ItaliaLocated in Pijnacker, Zuid-HollandThree Gli Scacchi coffee/side tables by Mario Bellini for C&B Italia. C&B be was the first manufacturer which later became B&B Ialia. The Scacchi come from the 1970’s. They still rem...Category
Vintage 1970s Italian Mid-Century Modern Coffee and Cocktail TablesMaterials
You May Also Like
Vintage 1970s European Mid-Century Modern Sofas
Vintage 1970s European Sofas
Vintage 1960s Italian Mid-Century Modern Sectional Sofas
Mid-20th Century French Mid-Century Modern Lounge Chairs
Vintage 1970s Italian Mid-Century Modern Sectional Sofas
Vintage 1970s Italian Mid-Century Modern Lounge Chairs
Vintage 1970s French Modern Sectional Sofas
Early 2000s Italian Ottomans and Poufs
Mid-20th Century Italian Mid-Century Modern Sectional Sofas
Vintage 1970s Italian Mid-Century Modern Sectional Sofas
Recently ViewedView More
Who Is Mario Bellini, and Why Is His 1970s Camaleonda Sofa Everywhere Right Now?
Get the lowdown on the ultrachic modular sofas that are currently taking up real estate in your Instagram saved folder.
The 16 Most Popular Mid-Century Modern Chairs
You know the designs, now get the stories about to how they came to be.
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Insured Global Delivery