Pair of 1970s Trix & Robert Haussmann for Knoll Black Leather Mirror Sofa Settee
About the Item
- Dimensions:Height: 31.5 in (80 cm)Width: 54.73 in (139 cm)Depth: 24.81 in (63 cm)Seat Height: 17.72 in (45 cm)
- Sold As:Set of 2
- Style:Mid-Century Modern (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques:
- Place of Origin:
- Date of Manufacture:1970s
- Seller Location:Berlin, DE
- Reference Number:Seller: Cs.ob.MirrorByHaussmannForKnoll.m.2109b1stDibs: LU1591225665562
As a company that produced many of the most famous and iconic furniture designs of the 20th century, Knoll was a chief influence in the rise of modern design in the United States. Led by Florence Knoll, the firm would draw stellar talents such as Ludwig Mies van der Rohe and Eero Saarinen into its compass. Their work would help change the face of the American home and office.
The company was formed in 1938 by the German immigrant Hans Knoll. He first worked with his fellow ex-pat, the Danish designer Jens Risom, who created furniture with flowing lines made of wood. While Risom served in World War II, in 1943 Knoll met his future wife, Florence Schust. She had studied and worked with eminent emigré leaders of the Bauhaus, including Mies, Walter Gropius and Marcel Breuer. She won Knoll over with Bauhaus notions of industrial arts, and an aesthetic that featured flat and tubular metal frames and angular forms. When Hans died in a car crash in 1955, Florence Knoll was appointed head of the company. It was as much through her holistic approach to design — a core division of the firm was dedicated to planning office systems — as Knoll's mid-century modern furnishings themselves that she brought about the sleek and efficient transformation of the American workplace.
Today, classic Knoll furnishings remain staples of modern design collections and decor. A history of modern design is written in pieces such as the elegant Barcelona chair — created by Mies and Lilly Reich — Saarinen’s pedestal Tulip chair, Breuer’s tubular steel Wassily lounge chair and the grid-patterned Diamond chair by Harry Bertoia.
As you can see from the collection of these designs and other vintage Knoll dining chairs, sofas and tables on 1stDibs, this manufacturer's offerings have become timeless emblems of the progressive spirit and sleek sophistication of the best of modernism.
A prime source for design enthusiasts the world over, Original in Berlin sells a carefully curated and ever-growing inventory of classics by Scandinavian, French, Italian and American creators —from Paul McCobb, Charles & Ray Eames, George Nelson and Finn Juhl to Charlotte Perriand, Giò Ponti and Marco Zanuso — in its 10,000-square-foot Berlin showroom and online. Through its New Originals collection, it also offers new-production pieces of mid-century design by such icons of the movement as Carl Auböck and George Nakashima, using the same materials, molds, and techniques employed for the original. In addition, the dealer works closely with contemporary artists, featuring ceramic works by Californian sculptor Stan Bitters as well as hand-crafted leather chairs by Daniel Wenger. Every vintage piece is inspected and meticulously restored by Original in Berlins small team of skilled in-house craftsmen, who also provide on-demand upholstery and carpentry services.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Berlin, Germany
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 10 days of delivery.
- Black Leather Mirror Pair of Trix & Robert Haussmann for Knoll Lounge ChairBy Robert and Trix Haussmann, KnollLocated in Berlin, DELeather lounge chairs with mirrored elements by Trix and Robert Haussmann, Germany 1970s. The Mirror Sofa and Chairs is a furniture collection for th...Category
Vintage 1970s German Lounge ChairsMaterials
- Marco Zanuso Settee for Arflex in new Dark Petrol Fabric, Italy, 1960sBy Arflex, Marco ZanusoLocated in Berlin, DEMarco Zanuso Regent settee for Arflex, Italy, 1960s. Early edition Regent Settee designed by Marco Zanuso for Arflex, circa 1960. The piece is on walnut glides with a new upholstery ...Category
Vintage 1960s Italian Mid-Century Modern SetteesMaterials
- Newly Upholstered Knoll International Black Leather Custom Sofa, Germany, 1950sBy KnollLocated in Berlin, DENewly upholstered Knoll International custom sofa in sorensen leather. Germany, 1950s.Category
Vintage 1950s German Mid-Century Modern SofasMaterials
- Pierre Jeanneret Capitol Complex Sofa Settee in Purple for Cassina, Italy - NewBy Cassina, Pierre JeanneretLocated in Berlin, DEPrices vary dependent on the chosen materials. Capitol Complex Sofa is the settee designed by Pierre Jeanneret with an iconic wood structure in the form of an inverted ‘V’, upholster...Category
2010s Italian Mid-Century Modern SetteesMaterials
Leather, Fabric, Wood, Oak, Teak, Walnut
- Sofa Model 67A by Florence Knoll for Knoll International, USA, 1950sBy Florence KnollLocated in Berlin, DESofa Model 67A by Florence Knoll for Knoll International the sofa is new upholstered in Knoll textile fabric.Category
Vintage 1950s American SofasMaterials
- Erik Ole Jorgensen EJ315 Sofa in Aniline Cognac Leather, Denmark, 1970sBy Erik Ole Jørgensen, Poul VoltherLocated in Berlin, DEErik Ole Jørgensen EJ315 Leather Sofa, newly upholstered in aniline camoleather with Teak Frame. Designed in the 1970s, Denmark. This is an early production. The EJ315 sofa...Category
Vintage 1970s Danish Mid-Century Modern SofasMaterials
Leather, Wood, Teak
- Buffalo Leather Sofa by Robert and Trix Haussmann for Knoll, c. 1988, SignedBy Robert and Trix Haussmann, KnollLocated in Los Angeles, CAThis phenomenal buffalo leather three-seat sofa is by Robert and Trix Haussmann for Knoll International (designed in 1988) and signed with Knoll decking fabric and Knoll Made in Ital...Category
Vintage 1980s Italian Modern SofasMaterials
- 1980s Trix & Robert Haussmann for Knoll Tan Brown Saddle 2-Seat SofaBy Knoll, Trix and Robert HaussmannLocated in Dallas, TXThis iconic modern-design of peerless quality is a 2-seat lounge seating sofa designed by Trix and Robert Haussmann and manufactured by the world-renown Furniture House, Knoll Intern...Category
Vintage 1980s American Mid-Century Modern SofasMaterials
- Pair Charles Pfister for Knoll Mohair Settees, 1980By Charles Pfister, KnollLocated in Chicago, ILPair Charles Pfister for Knoll mohair Settees, 1980. Original upholstery in excellent condition.Category
Vintage 1980s American Mid-Century Modern SetteesMaterials
- Ludwig Mies van der Rohe Krefeld Settee or Sofa in Dark Brown Leather for KnollBy Knoll, Ludwig Mies van der RoheLocated in St. Louis, MOArchitect Ludwig Mies van der Rohe designed Krefeld settee in a rich dark brown leather for Knoll. Recent 2009 production based on his 1930s designs for the Esters and Lange residenc...Category
21st Century and Contemporary American Mid-Century Modern SetteesMaterials
- The Lounge Seating by Trix & Robert Haussmann for Knoll, 1980sBy Robert and Trix Haussmann, KnollLocated in Antwerp, BEThe Lounge Seating; Trix & Robert Haussmann; Knoll; 1980s; Postmodern; 1988; Swiss; Post-Modern; Lounge Chair; Club Chair; Armchair; Settee; Couch; Sofa; Functional Art; Mirror; Living Room Set; The Lounge Seating, originally called The New Weissenhof Chair...Category
Vintage 1980s Swiss Post-Modern Lounge ChairsMaterials
- Florence Knoll, Sofa Model 66A for Knoll, circa 1960By Florence Knoll, KnollLocated in Paris, FRTwo seat sofa model 66A designed by Florence Knoll and produced by Knoll International, circa 1960. This chair was manufactured only from 1958 to 1975. Newly re-upholstered with a ...Category
Vintage 1960s American Mid-Century Modern SofasMaterials
Recently ViewedView All
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery