- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Ico Parisi Curved Back Sofa Manufactured by Ariberto Colombo
- CreatorIco Parisi (Designer)
- DimensionsHeight: 33 in. (83.82 cm)Width: 88 in. (223.52 cm)Depth: 36 in. (91.44 cm)Seat Height: 16 in. (40.64 cm)
- StyleMid-Century Modern (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques
- Place of Origin
- Date of Manufacturecirca 1949
- ConditionWear consistent with age and use.
- Seller LocationEast Hampton, NY
- Reference NumberSeller: Gustavo Olivieri 20th C.1stDibs: 14092581022971
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingShips From: Miami, FL
- Return Policy
This item cannot be returned.
About the Designer
Domenico “Ico” Parisi was one half of a prolific postwar design duo he comprised with his wife, Luisa. Their furniture designs are known for running the stylistic gamut, with celebrated mid-century modern pieces ranging from elegantly skeletal — like dramatic ebonized dining chairs — to plush and shapely, like the iconic 1951 Egg chair, in a plethora of materials.
The son of an art teacher father, Ico Parisi was exposed to art at an early age. Born in 1916 in the Sicilian capital of Palermo, he and his family moved to Como in 1925. There, the young Parisi would begin to develop his interest in architecture and design. After earning a degree as a building inspector in 1936 and working as a civil engineer, Parisi took on an apprenticeship in the studio of Giuseppe Terragni, the modernist, fascist Italian architect, pioneer of the Rationalist movement and creator of the iconic Casa del Fascio.
While working for Terragni, Parisi crossed paths with such contemporary design talents as Lucio Fontana, Bruno Munari and Pietro Lingeri, though he briefly moved away from design and architecture to explore photography and film. His artistic work would soon be interrupted, however, by the outbreak of World War II, during which he served at the front before returning to Como in 1943. There, he resumed work as a designer and architect, founding two architecture groups: the Alta Quota and the Gruppo Como.
Through his creative circles, Parisi met Luisa Aiani, a former student of the prolific architect and furniture designer Gio Ponti, who was affiliated with the Alta Quota. They married in 1947 and founded the studio La Ruota — a cross between a design firm and an intellectual salon — in Como shortly thereafter. In 1950, Parisi finally completed his architectural schooling, studying under the nationalist architect Alberto Sartoris at the Athenaeum Architecture School in Lausanne, Switzerland. He and Aiani began several decades of sophisticated output, designing curved sofas upholstered in yellow velvet and armchairs with slender mahogany frames for enduring Italian manufacturers such as Cassina and others.
Much like Charles and Ray Eames in America, the Parisis worked as a team and relied on experimentation in style and material for many of their designs. Ico Parisi died in Como in 1996.
- Fantastic Curved Woven Wicker Sofa/SetteeLocated in East Hampton, NYThis wonderful piece is in fantastic condition, with a deep and wide seating space. Seat cushion included (as shown) but can be reupholstered if desired. Note: Interior dimension...Category
Vintage 1980s American Mid-Century Modern SofasMaterials
- Urio Three-Section Bookcase by Ico Parisi for MIM, RomaBy Ico Parisi, Mobili Italiani Moderni (MIM)Located in East Hampton, NYParisi revisited a project done in 1946 for Arte Casa Cantù, updating materials and production technology for Industrial production required in the late 1950s. The bookcase is compr...Category
Vintage 1950s Italian Mid-Century Modern Shelves and Wall CabinetsMaterials
- Ico Parisi Bow Tie Dining Chairs, Set of 6By Ico ParisiLocated in East Hampton, NYUpholstered in a chic black and white striped velvet, these stylish and iconic designer dining chairs are ready to use, excellent vintage condition.Category
Vintage 1950s Italian Mid-Century Modern Dining Room ChairsMaterials
Velvet, Mahogany$14,000 / set
- Ico Parisi Style Italian Mid-Century Table with Marble TopBy Ico ParisiLocated in East Hampton, NYThis wonderfully chic Italian table is sculptural and unique. Rich marble top and brass sabot clad feet. This table is narrow and works best as a console, desk or small dining table.Category
Vintage 1940s Italian TablesMaterials
- Cloud Sofa for WeimanBy WeimanLocated in East Hampton, NYCurved sofa by Weiman in great clean "as found" condition. Faux chartreuse ostrich pattern leatherette and ultrasuede back in complimentary color. Very desirable and hard to find due...Category
Vintage 1970s American SofasMaterials
- Minotti Labelled Two-Piece Deep SofaBy MinottiLocated in East Hampton, NYThis lovely large square designed Minotti sofa sectional in two pieces can easily be put together for a deep lounge space or apart for individual seating, circa 1990s. Retains origin...Category
1990s Italian Post-Modern Sectional SofasMaterials
You May Also Like
Vintage 1950s Italian Sofas
Vintage 1950s Mid-Century Modern Armchairs
Vintage 1950s Italian Mid-Century Modern Sofas
Vintage 1950s Italian Mid-Century Modern Dining Room Chairs
Faux Leather, Wood
Vintage 1940s Italian Mid-Century Modern Sofas
Mid-20th Century Italian Mid-Century Modern Sofas
Mid-20th Century Italian Mid-Century Modern Sofas
20th Century Mid-Century Modern Sofas
Vintage 1950s Italian Mid-Century Modern Benches
Vintage 1950s Italian Mid-Century Modern Armchairs
Fabric, Textile, Wood
Recently ViewedView More
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery