Osvaldo Borsani Italian Sideboard /Display Cabinet, circa 1950
About the Item
- Creator:Osvaldo Borsani (Designer),Minagalli (Maker)
- Dimensions:Height: 40.5 in (102.87 cm)Width: 81.5 in (207.01 cm)Depth: 17 in (43.18 cm)
- Style:Mid-Century Modern (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques:
- Place of Origin:
- Date of Manufacture:1950
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use.
- Seller Location:Westport, CT
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU9108918981
With his stylish and technically innovative furniture, Osvaldo Borsani helped change the face of Italian design in the 1950s and ’60s. His sofas and chairs, featuring deeply upholstered seating and adjustable position settings, have an aura of optimism and efficiency that still seems fresh and lively today.
Born in the commune of Varedo in northern Italy’s Lombardy region, Borsani studied at the Brera Academy in Milan — the same school attended by such luminaries as designer Piero Fornasetti and artist Lucio Fontana — as well as the Polytechnic University of Milan. Borsani first worked for his father’s furniture-making firm, Arredamenti Borsani, an atelier influenced by the more expressive and curvaceous wing of Art Deco design. By 1953, when, along with his twin brother, Fulgenzio — the pair also created this visionary mid-century villa — Borsani opened the furniture company Tecno, his design sensibilities had evolved toward furnishings with strong, simple forms enhanced by mechanical innovations, as with the P40 adjustable armchair (1953). Borsani would be the firm’s lead designer for 30 years, while fostering work by Vico Magistretti, Carlo di Carli, Robin Day and others.
Similar to Gio Ponti in the earliest years of his career, Borsani first created designs marked by lush and buoyant lines: tables with voluptuous curved legs, sofas with undulating backrests. But Borsani’s best-known and most novel pieces date from Tecno’s initial furniture lines: the adjustable D70 sofa, which folds open to make a daybed, and the P40 recliner. The latter — now included in the collections of the Museum of Modern Art and the Victoria & Albert Museum — is an articulated lounger with a back, seat and leg rest that can be moved into 486 different positions. Not only is it extremely comfortable, it is also enduringly chic.
Find a collection of vintage Osvaldo Borsani tables, dining chairs and other furniture on 1stDibs.
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Westport, CT
- Return Policy
This item cannot be returned.
- French Rosewood Two-Door Sideboard CabinetLocated in Westport, CTSmall-scale French rosewood two-door sideboard cabinet, with two shelf interior and pedestal base. Simple design with large rosewood square pull.Category
Mid-20th Century French Mid-Century Modern CabinetsMaterials
- George Nelson Cabinet Rare Designed Pulls for Herman MillerBy George NelsonLocated in Westport, CTGeorge Nelson walnut cabinet with rare designed hardware pulls, black legs, divided top draw compartments and original label, this piece a...Category
Vintage 1950s American Mid-Century Modern CabinetsMaterials
Steel$6,800 Sale Price20% Off
- Parzinger Style Hollywood Regency Steel and Bronze Patina Studded CabinetBy Tommi ParzingerLocated in Westport, CTMidcentury Hollywood Regency steel front bronze patina studded tassel pull cabinet, dark Walnut exterior, great low scale for under TV or end of bed.Category
Mid-20th Century American Hollywood Regency CabinetsMaterials
- Paul Frankl small display cabinetBy Paul FranklLocated in Westport, CTPaul Frankl creme Cork Mahogany Display CabinetCategory
Vintage 1950s American Mid-Century Modern Cabinets
- Paul McCobb Petite Sideboard Cabinet Dark Walnut Brass PullsBy Paul McCobb, Planner GroupLocated in Westport, CTPaul McCobb for Planner Group, midsize dark walnut four draw brass pull elegant sideboard cabinet.Category
Mid-20th Century American Mid-Century Modern SideboardsMaterials
- Gilbert Rhode Streamline Art Deco Cabinet Sideboard/BuffetBy Gilbert RohdeLocated in Westport, CTGilbert Rhode Art Deco Iconic design streamline sideboard cabinet, 1936 with stepped up top, burled front doors circular cut-out and brushed steel pull. I...Category
Vintage 1930s American Art Deco SideboardsMaterials
- Attributed Osvaldo Borsani Sideboard Cabinet Wood Pink Glass Fontana Arte, 1930By Osvaldo BorsaniLocated in Milan, ITAstonishing original Osvaldo Borsani cabinet in wood with the tabletop in pink mirror signed by Fontana Arte in perfect condition, 1930s.Category
Vintage 1930s Italian Art Deco CabinetsMaterials
- 1930 Italian Monumental Art Deco Sideboard , Burl Elmwood by Osvaldo BorsaniBy Osvaldo BorsaniLocated in Vigonza, PaduaDescription: a five doors 1930s monumental Italian Art Deco credenza Sideboard Buffet in burl elmwood by Atelier di Varedo Period: 1930 Sty...Category
Vintage 1920s Italian Art Deco CabinetsMaterials
Elm, Walnut, Burl
- Italian Mid-Century Sideboard with Bar Cabinet by Osvaldo Borsani, 1950sBy Osvaldo BorsaniLocated in Traversetolo, ITStylish sideboard and/or bar cabinet designed by Osvaldo Borsani in the 1950s. Its structure is characterized by a unique shape design given by its amazing curved frontal profile of...Category
Mid-20th Century Italian Mid-Century Modern SideboardsMaterials
- Midcentury Antique Retro Art Deco Display Cabinet Sideboard, circa 1960Located in Lüdinghausen, DEMid-century display cabinet sideboard restored circa 1960 sideboard antique retro Art Deco Features: Display case mirrored on the back with two slidi...Category
20th Century Mid-Century Modern SideboardsMaterials
- Midcentury Italian Mahogany Sideboard by Osvaldo Borsani, 1950sBy Osvaldo BorsaniLocated in Baambrugge, NLSideboard by Osvaldo Borsani, Italy, 1950s. Beautiful design with ribbed laquered body and mahogany veneer on the sides, drawers and top in beautiful V pattern. With glass plate on t...Category
Vintage 1950s Italian Mid-Century Modern CredenzasMaterials
Glass, Ash, Mahogany, Pine
- Italian Cabinet Attributed to Osvaldo Borsani, 1950sBy Osvaldo BorsaniLocated in Palermo, PAItalian cabinet attributed to Osvaldo Borsani, 1950s. Dimensions: H= 89 cm; W= 109 cm; D= 42 cm.Category
Vintage 1950s Italian Mid-Century Modern CabinetsMaterials
Recently ViewedView More
Mid-Century Master Osvaldo Borsani Gets His Due at Donzella
The New York City gallery has devoted its latest show to the work of the modernist Italian designer.
Peek inside Osvaldo Borsani’s Mod Italian Villa
The iconic mid-century estate outside of Milan opens its doors to the public for a very special homage.
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery