Vintage 1972 Van Cleef Barquerolles Bracelet
About the Item
Van Cleef & Arpels
One of the world’s foremost jewelry houses, Van Cleef & Arpels is particularly noted for a focus on technical virtuosity, craftsmanship and artistry, evident since its beginning. Rather than create earrings, bracelets, necklaces and other adornments primarily for the aim of displaying of wealth and opulence, Van Cleef & Arpels sought to produce jewelry that projected the wearer’s taste and style.
The company was formed a year after the 1895 marriage of Alfred Van Cleef, the son of a gem cutter, to Estelle Arpels, daughter of precious-stones dealer Salomon Arpel. Ten years later, Van Cleef & Arpels opened its first boutique on the Place Vendôme in Paris, setting the march on a square now crowded with dealers in bijouterie. (The company still occupies the New York flagship store opened in 1939 at Fifth Avenue and 57th Street.)
Born from a union of expertise in both jewelry making and gem selection, the Van Cleef & Arpels distinguished itself with both the consistency of the color and clarity of its stones and the creativity of its designs. In doing so, the house would win a roster of dedicated, fashion-conscious clients that included the Duchess of Windsor, Marlene Dietrich, Barbara Hutton, Jacqueline Onassis and Elizabeth Taylor. In 1933, Van Cleef & Arpels patented its trademark Mystery Setting — a technique by which gems are fitted into an intricate matrix of slots and “drawers” that keep the setting hidden. Another signal innovation was the Zip necklace, introduced in 1951, which can be worn either around the neck or, with the zipper closed, as a bracelet.
But as much as to the firm’s craftsmanship, clients have been drawn by the insouciance and playfulness of Van Cleef & Arpels designers, as well as their attunement to the cultural climate. After the discovery of Tutankhamun’s tomb in 1922, the company produced several lavish pieces featuring hieroglyphics and other Egyptian motifs to go along with the geometric Art Deco jewelry of that decade and the next. Following World War II, as symbols of freedom and rebirth, the firm focused on naturalistic forms such as birds, flowers, fruit and flying insects. High society’s 1960s fascination with the Near East and India prompted such pieces as the best-selling Alhambra necklace, popularized by Princess Grace.
Lately, attention among collectors and connoisseurs has centered on Van Cleef & Arpels’s quality of workmanship as much as its glamour. The firm was the subject of a 2012 show at the Cooper-Hewitt, Smithsonian Design Museum, as well as exhibitions at the Bowers Museum in Santa Ana, California, in 2013 and at the Musée des Arts Décoratifs in Paris in 2014.
Find an exquisite collection of Van Cleef & Arpels jewelry on 1stDibs.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: London, United Kingdom
- Return PolicyThis item cannot be returned.
- Chanel Gemstone-embellished chain braceletBy ChanelLocated in London, GBSymbolising purity and longevity, the Camellia flower is a signature of Chanel as it was said to be Coco Chanel's favourite flower. Designed in the 1980s, this pre-owned vintage brac...Category
Late 20th Century Chain BraceletsFree Shipping
- Hermes Vintage Leather BraceletBy HermèsLocated in London, GBThis cuff from Hermès is made of brown leather and features red cut-out leather logo detailing and a concealed gold-tone hook fastening. Colour: Red, Brown Material: Leather ...Category
Late 20th Century Cuff BraceletsFree Shipping
- Gaydamak Hand Bracelet 18K White GoldLocated in London, GBCult jewellery brand Gaydamak, founded in 2009, has become famous for their beautiful diamond hand bracelets. Adorned by Salma Hayek and Natalia Vodianova...Category
2010s Art Deco Modern BraceletsMaterials
Diamond, Black Diamond, White GoldFree Shipping
- Chanel Buckle BraceletBy ChanelLocated in London, GBIn CHANEL's iconic black leather and gold-tone hardware composition, this buttery bracelet is adorned with oversized, squared buckle decorations and fastening. * Black * Leather * E...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Cuff BraceletsFree Shipping
- Korloff Diamond BraceletBy KorloffLocated in London, GB* 18ct white gold * High jewellery piece * Never been worn * Markings present Please note that most items we carry have been previously owned unless marked as ‘unworn’. Unless othe...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Link BraceletsFree Shipping
- Yves Saint Laurent by Robert Goossens chuncky chian necklaceBy Robert Goossens for Yves Saint LaurentLocated in London, GBDesigned by Robert Goosens for Saint Laurent, this bold necklace has been crafted from large gold-tone curb links and is finished with a hook fastening that can be adjusted to your d...Category
20th Century Chain Bracelets
- Silver Peridot and White Sapphire Leaf Cuff and RingBy Gregory Mikaelian & Sons, Inc.Located in Los Angeles, CAGresha signature bark finish leaf cuff and ring. Cuff has 40 round peridot weighing 4.25cts. and 13 white sapphires weighing .35pts. in a leaf antiqued finish. The ring can be worn...Category
2010s American Arts and Crafts Cuff BraceletsMaterials
Peridot, Sapphire, SilverFree Shipping
- Platinum Diamond Micro-Pave' Split Bangle Cuff BraceletLocated in Los Angeles, CASpecifications: MAIN stone: ROUND CUT DIAMOND DIAMOND: 154 PCS CARAT TOTAL WEIGHT: approx 1.12 CTW COLOR/clarity: G/SI1 brand: UNBRANDED metal: PLATINUM ...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Unknown Modern Cuff BraceletsMaterials
- Mauboussin Paris Ruby, Emerald, Sapphire and Diamond BraceletBy MauboussinLocated in New York, NYA Mauboussin Ruby, Emerald, Sapphire and Diamond Bracelet made in 18k Yellow Gold. Emeralds appx. 3.6 carats. Sapphires: appx. 4.5 carats. Rubies appx 4.5 carats. The diamonds weigh ...Category
20th Century Cuff BraceletsMaterials
Diamond, Emerald, Ruby, Sapphire
- Art Deco Style Ruby Mosaic 20 Karat Yellow Gold Coomi Cuff BraceletBy CoomiLocated in Secaucus, NJDesigned to be a one of a kind piece by Coomi. The Cuff Bracelet from the Luminosity collection; which represents and consists of bold design and reflects light from within. Each uni...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Thai Art Deco Cuff BraceletsMaterials
Ruby, Yellow Gold
- Coomi 20 Karat Gold Luminosity Diamond Cuff BraceletBy CoomiLocated in Secaucus, NJCoomi Luminosity cuff bracelet set in 20K yellow gold with 5.04cts diamonds. Coomi’s Luminosity Collection consists of bold design and reflects light from within. Each uniquely natu...Category
Antique 15th Century and Earlier Thai Artisan Cuff BraceletsMaterials
White Diamond, GoldFree Shipping
- Louis Vuitton Padlock & Keys+ Two Bags Charm Yellow Gold Bracelet 125.7 Gm 18 KGBy Louis VuittonLocated in New York, NYLouis Vuitton Padlock & Keys+ Two Bags Charm Yellow Gold Bracelet 125.7 Gm 18 KG Unisex Comprised of square shaped cable link chain with suspending lock and key charms Lock is funct...Category
2010s Chain BraceletsMaterials
18k Gold, Yellow Gold
Recently ViewedView All
Gems by David Webb, Cartier and Van Cleef & Arpels Anchor The Back Vault’s Treasure Trove
Boasting one of the largest collections of David Webb in the world, the firm offers exceptional jewels — always in demand yet never in short supply.
This Turquoise Van Cleef & Arpels Alhambra Necklace Is a Rare and Alluring Find
You know the French maison’s famous motif well. But why is this particular piece so in demand?