- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Vintage Van Cleef & Arpels Sapphire Mystery-Set Men's Cufflink and Dress Set
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: New York, NY
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 3 days of delivery.
About the Designer
Van Cleef & Arpels
One of the world’s foremost jewelry houses, Van Cleef & Arpels is particularly noted for a focus on technical virtuosity, craftsmanship and artistry, evident since its beginning. Rather than create earrings, bracelets, necklaces and other adornments primarily for the aim of displaying of wealth and opulence, Van Cleef & Arpels sought to produce jewelry that projected the wearer’s taste and style.
The company was formed a year after the 1895 marriage of Alfred Van Cleef, the son of a gem cutter, to Estelle Arpels, daughter of precious-stones dealer Salomon Arpel. Ten years later, Van Cleef & Arpels opened its first boutique on the Place Vendôme in Paris, setting the march on a square now crowded with dealers in bijouterie. (The company still occupies the New York flagship store opened in 1939 at Fifth Avenue and 57th Street.)
Born from a union of expertise in both jewelry making and gem selection, the Van Cleef & Arpels distinguished itself with both the consistency of the color and clarity of its stones and the creativity of its designs. In doing so, the house would win a roster of dedicated, fashion-conscious clients that included the Duchess of Windsor, Marlene Dietrich, Barbara Hutton, Jacqueline Onassis and Elizabeth Taylor. In 1933, Van Cleef & Arpels patented its trademark Mystery Setting — a technique by which gems are fitted into an intricate matrix of slots and “drawers” that keep the setting hidden. Another signal innovation was the Zip necklace, introduced in 1951, which can be worn either around the neck or, with the zipper closed, as a bracelet.
But as much as to the firm’s craftsmanship, clients have been drawn by the insouciance and playfulness of Van Cleef & Arpels designers, as well as their attunement to the cultural climate. After the discovery of Tutankhamun’s tomb in 1922, the company produced several lavish pieces featuring hieroglyphics and other Egyptian motifs to go along with the geometric Art Deco jewelry of that decade and the next. Following World War II, as symbols of freedom and rebirth, the firm focused on naturalistic forms such as birds, flowers, fruit and flying insects. High society’s 1960s fascination with the Near East and India prompted such pieces as the best-selling Alhambra necklace, popularized by Princess Grace.
Lately, attention among collectors and connoisseurs has centered on Van Cleef & Arpels’s quality of workmanship as much as its glamour. The firm was the subject of a 2012 show at the Cooper-Hewitt, Smithsonian Design Museum, as well as exhibitions at the Bowers Museum in Santa Ana, California, in 2013 and at the Musée des Arts Décoratifs in Paris in 2014.
Find an exquisite collection of Van Cleef & Arpels jewelry on 1stDibs.
- French Van Cleef & Arpels Diamond Bracelet, Platinum and 18kBy Van Cleef & ArpelsLocated in New York, NYA French Van Cleef & Arpels Diamond Bracelet made in Platinum and 18K Gold. The bracelet is flexible and has round diamonds with ropework gold. The length is 6 7/8 inches and the wid...Category
20th Century French More BraceletsMaterials
Diamond, 18k Gold, Platinum$90,000Free Shipping
- Van Cleef & Arpels Lapis Lazuli and Chrysoprase Earrings, FrenchBy Van Cleef & ArpelsLocated in New York, NYAn elegant and chic pair of earrings by Van Cleef & Arpels, bezel-set with alternating pyramidal-shaped lapis lazuli and chrysoprase cabochons masterfully spaced with round brilliant...Category
20th Century French Contemporary Clip-on EarringsMaterials
Lapis Lazuli, Chrysophrase, 18k Gold, Yellow Gold$20,000Free Shipping
- Burma No Heat Sapphire Diamond PendantLocated in New York, NYA beautiful natural, no heat pear-shape sapphire set with three round and three pear-shape rose cut diamonds, set in Platinum. The sapphire weighs 12.77 carats with a total diamond w...Category
20th Century American Art Deco More JewelryMaterials
Blue Sapphire, Diamond, Platinum$25,000Free Shipping
- Vintage Indian Natural Pearl and Diamond Enamel NecklaceLocated in New York, NYAn impressive, vintage, and royal Indian enamel necklace with natural saltwater pearls, old-mine Colombian emerald beads, and large rose cut diamonds. The estimate weight of the diam...Category
20th Century Indian Choker NecklacesMaterials
Diamond, Emerald, Yellow GoldPrice Upon RequestFree Shipping
- Burmese No Heat Star Ruby and Diamond BroochLocated in New York, NYAn impressive brooch, set with with five burmese, no heat, star ruby cabochons and seventy round brilliant-cut diamonds, thirteen princess-cut diamonds, and thirteen baguettes, set i...Category
20th Century American BroochesMaterials
Diamond, Ruby, Platinum$20,000Free Shipping
- Gold and Diamond Lion BroochLocated in New York, NYA gold and diamond lion brooch set with fifty-four round brilliant-cut diamonds.Category
20th Century American BroochesMaterials
Diamond, 18k Gold, Yellow Gold$6,500Free Shipping
- Van Cleef & Arpels Diamonds 18 Karat Yellow Gold Cufflinks 7 Color SetBy Van Cleef & ArpelsLocated in Tokyo, JPBrand:Van Cleef & Arpels Name:Diamond Gold Cufflinks 7 Color Set Material:Diamond, Titanium, Malachite, Lapis Lazuli, Crystal, Agate, Tiger's Eye, 750 K18 YG Yellow Gold Weight:12.7g...Category
Late 20th Century French More JewelryMaterials
Agate, Crystal, Diamond, Lapis Lazuli, Malachite, Tiger's Eye, 18k Gold$20,000Free Shipping
- Van Cleef & Arpels Mystery Set Sapphire Diamonds Gold Pont Neuf RingBy Van Cleef & ArpelsLocated in Tokyo, JPBrand: Van Cleef&Arpels Name:Pont Neuf Ring Material :15P Sapphire, 4P Diamonds, 750 K18 WG White Gold Comes with:Van Cleef&Arpels Box,Case, VCA letter of authenticity(May 2019), VCA...Category
Early 2000s French More RingsMaterials
Diamond, Sapphire, 18k Gold, Gold, White Gold$40,000Free Shipping
- Van Cleef & Arpels Art Deco Ruby and Diamond Tie Pin, ca. 1930sBy Van Cleef & ArpelsLocated in Idar-Oberstein, DEVan Cleef & Arpels Art Deco Ruby and Diamond Tie Pin, ca. 1930s A beautiful pin by Van Cleef & Arpels from the 1930s in an oval shape, set with mystery-cut ruby surround and two Ass...Category
Vintage 1930s French Art Deco More JewelryMaterials
Diamond, Ruby, 18k Gold$7,200Free Shipping
- 1950's Cartier France 18 Karat Yellow Gold Vintage Men's Cufflink Dress SetBy CartierLocated in Philadelphia, PADress set is well matched as a deeply ridged gold design. Cufflinks are pyramidal in form and open on a hinge that secures with a click. Bar shirt studs are spring loaded with a ridg...Category
Vintage 1950s French CufflinksMaterials
18k Gold, Yellow Gold, Gold$5,500Free Shipping
- Vintage Cartier Sapphire 18 Karat Yellow Gold Antique Men's CufflinksBy CartierLocated in Philadelphia, PABypass style cufflinks fold into a twisted design. Polished gold terminals are bezel set with round sapphire cabochons. Weighing collectively approximately 0.60 carat. Transparent wi...Category
Vintage 1970s Contemporary CufflinksMaterials
Sapphire, Blue Sapphire, Gold, 18k Gold, Yellow Gold$5,275Free Shipping
- Van Cleef & Arpels Turquoise Sapphire and Diamond Brooch PendantBy Van Cleef & ArpelsLocated in New York, NYVan Cleef and Arpels Turquoise Sapphire and Diamond Brooch Pendant Diamonds weighing a total of approximately 7.50 carats Dimensions 2½ x 2¼ inches yellow and white gold Sign...Category
Vintage 1970s French Retro BroochesMaterials
Diamond, Sapphire, Turquoise$70,000Free Shipping
Recently ViewedView More
This Turquoise Van Cleef & Arpels Alhambra Necklace Is a Rare and Alluring Find
You know the French maison’s famous motif well. But why is this particular piece so in demand?
A Mini Romance Plays Out on the Dial of This Van Cleef and Arpels Watch
The tiny lovers inch closer together by the hour and minute until they finally embrace on a world-famous bridge.