Van Cleef & Arpels Diamond Gold Earrings
About the Item
- Stone Cut:
- Place of Origin:United States
- Date of Manufacture:20th Century
- Condition:For more information please visit our website.
- Seller Location:Lambertville, NJ
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU28814946362
Van Cleef & Arpels
One of the world’s foremost jewelry houses, Van Cleef & Arpels is particularly noted for a focus on technical virtuosity, craftsmanship and artistry, evident since its beginning. Rather than create earrings, bracelets, necklaces and other adornments primarily for the aim of displaying of wealth and opulence, Van Cleef & Arpels sought to produce jewelry that projected the wearer’s taste and style.
The company was formed a year after the 1895 marriage of Alfred Van Cleef, the son of a gem cutter, to Estelle Arpels, daughter of precious-stones dealer Salomon Arpel. Ten years later, Van Cleef & Arpels opened its first boutique on the Place Vendôme in Paris, setting the march on a square now crowded with dealers in bijouterie. (The company still occupies the New York flagship store opened in 1939 at Fifth Avenue and 57th Street.)
Born from a union of expertise in both jewelry making and gem selection, the Van Cleef & Arpels distinguished itself with both the consistency of the color and clarity of its stones and the creativity of its designs. In doing so, the house would win a roster of dedicated, fashion-conscious clients that included the Duchess of Windsor, Marlene Dietrich, Barbara Hutton, Jacqueline Onassis and Elizabeth Taylor. In 1933, Van Cleef & Arpels patented its trademark Mystery Setting — a technique by which gems are fitted into an intricate matrix of slots and “drawers” that keep the setting hidden. Another signal innovation was the Zip necklace, introduced in 1951, which can be worn either around the neck or, with the zipper closed, as a bracelet.
But as much as to the firm’s craftsmanship, clients have been drawn by the insouciance and playfulness of Van Cleef & Arpels designers, as well as their attunement to the cultural climate. After the discovery of Tutankhamun’s tomb in 1922, the company produced several lavish pieces featuring hieroglyphics and other Egyptian motifs to go along with the geometric Art Deco jewelry of that decade and the next. Following World War II, as symbols of freedom and rebirth, the firm focused on naturalistic forms such as birds, flowers, fruit and flying insects. High society’s 1960s fascination with the Near East and India prompted such pieces as the best-selling Alhambra necklace, popularized by Princess Grace.
Lately, attention among collectors and connoisseurs has centered on Van Cleef & Arpels’s quality of workmanship as much as its glamour. The firm was the subject of a 2012 show at the Cooper-Hewitt, Smithsonian Design Museum, as well as exhibitions at the Bowers Museum in Santa Ana, California, in 2013 and at the Musée des Arts Décoratifs in Paris in 2014.
Find an exquisite collection of Van Cleef & Arpels jewelry on 1stDibs.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Lambertville, NJ
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 14 days of delivery.
- Van Cleef & Arpels Eden Diamond Gold EarringsBy Van Cleef & ArpelsLocated in Lambertville, NJVan Cleef & Arpels white 18k gold earrings, set with approx. 2.00ctw in VVS/F-G diamonds. Earrings measure 20mm x 16mm. Marked: VCA 750 BL1***. Weight is 18.0 grams. Comes with a cop...Category
21st Century and Contemporary French Hoop EarringsMaterials
Diamond, Gold, 18k GoldFree Shipping
- Van Cleef & Arpels 1980s Onyx Diamond Gold EarringsBy Van Cleef & ArpelsLocated in Lambertville, NJPair of 1980s 18k gold Van Cleef & Arpels earrings, with 1.28ctw in VVS-F/G diamonds and onyx. Come with VCA pouch and a copy of original Valuation report from VCA. Earrings are 21mm...Category
Vintage 1980s More EarringsMaterials
Diamond, Onyx, GoldFree Shipping
- Van Cleef & Arpels Vintage Alhambra Diamond Gold RingBy Van Cleef & ArpelsLocated in Lambertville, NJ18k gold Van Cleef & Arpels vintage alhambra ring featuring 1 F-G/VVS diamond measuring approximately 0.06ct, Ring size 5.5, motif measures 15mm X 15mm. Weight is 7.5 grams, marked V...Category
20th Century French More RingsMaterials
Diamond, 18k Gold
- Van Cleef & Arpels Onyx Gold CufflinksBy Van Cleef & ArpelsLocated in Lambertville, NJPair of 18k yellow gold cufflinks, crafted by Van Cleef & Arpels, set with black onyx. Cufflink top measures 22mm x 6mm and weigh 8.6 grams. Marked Van Cleef & Arpels, C9040XI, 18KT.Category
20th Century French CufflinksMaterials
Onyx, 18k GoldFree Shipping
- Van Cleef & Arpels Gold Dome RingBy Van Cleef & ArpelsLocated in Lambertville, NJVintage 18k yellow gold dome X motif ring, crafted by Van Cleef & Arpels. Ring size - 6.25, ring top is 18mm x 26mm, sits approx. 15mm from the top of the...Category
20th Century French More RingsMaterials
18k GoldFree Shipping
- Van Cleef & Arpels France 1980s Chrysoprase Diamond Gold Braided NecklaceBy Van Cleef & ArpelsLocated in Lambertville, NJ18k yellow gold braided necklace by Van Cleef & Arpels with chrysoprase beads and approx. 3.06ctw in VVS/F-G diamonds. Comes with VCA pouch. Nec...Category
Vintage 1980s French More NecklacesMaterials
- Van Cleef & Arpels Gold Diamond EarringsBy Van Cleef & ArpelsLocated in New York, NYA beautifully made Van Cleef & Arpels 18 karat yellow gold ear clips featuring various sizes of round cut diamonds, weighing approximately 4.5-5 carats. The outline of both ear clips...Category
Vintage 1980s Contemporary Clip-on EarringsMaterials
Diamond, GoldFree Shipping
- Van Cleef & Arpels Diamond EarringsBy Van Cleef & ArpelsLocated in New York, NYClassic Van Cleef and Arpels clip on earrings!!!! Designed as flower-heads with round diamonds with large center diamonds Weigh...Category
20th Century French Romantic Clip-on EarringsMaterials
Diamond, 18k GoldFree Shipping
- Van Cleef & Arpels Onyx Diamond Gold EarringsBy Van Cleef & ArpelsLocated in New York, NYOnyx And Diamond Ear-clips By Van Cleef and Arpels. Set In 18 Karat Yellow Gold, Consisting Of Several Pave Set Sections Divided By Inset Carved Onyx Sections. Ear-clips Contain 68 ...Category
1990s French Romantic Clip-on EarringsMaterials
Diamond, Onyx, 18k GoldFree Shipping
- Van Cleef & Arpels Pearl Diamond EarringsBy Van Cleef & ArpelsLocated in New York, NYA beautiful pair of Van Cleef & Arpels earrings set with pearls and diamonds. Each set with a pearl center surrounded by round diamonds, most with E-F color, VS clarity. Estimated w...Category
21st Century and Contemporary French Clip-on EarringsMaterials
Diamond, Pearl, 18k Gold, Yellow GoldFree Shipping
- Van Cleef & Arpels Pavé Diamonds EarringsBy Van Cleef & ArpelsLocated in New York, NYComprising an exquisitely made pair of 18k yellow gold earrings set with a magnificent pavé of brilliant cut round diamonds that weigh approximately 8 carats. Signed Van Cleef & Arpe...Category
Vintage 1980s Clip-on EarringsMaterials
Diamond, 18k GoldFree Shipping
- Van Cleef & Arpels Diamond, Emerald EarringsBy Van Cleef & ArpelsLocated in New York, NYVAN CLEEF & ARPELS Diamond, Emerald Earrings A pair of 18k rose gold ear clips, set with diamonds and emerald beads signed by Van Cleef & Arpels. measures 1.25″ in length by 0.50″ wi...Category
Vintage 1970s American Clip-on EarringsMaterials
Diamond, Emerald, 18k GoldFree Shipping
Recently ViewedView All
Gems by David Webb, Cartier and Van Cleef & Arpels Anchor The Back Vault’s Treasure Trove
Boasting one of the largest collections of David Webb in the world, the firm offers exceptional jewels — always in demand yet never in short supply.
This Turquoise Van Cleef & Arpels Alhambra Necklace Is a Rare and Alluring Find
You know the French maison’s famous motif well. But why is this particular piece so in demand?
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery