Van Cleef & Arpels Diamond and Ruby Earrings
View Similar Items
Van Cleef & Arpels Diamond and Ruby Earrings
- Weight:21.5 g
- Dimensions:Width: 0.75 in (19.05 mm)Depth: 0.13 in (3.31 mm)Length: 2.19 in (55.63 mm)
- Date of Manufacture:1970’s
- Seller Location:West Palm Beach, FL
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU151726333142
About the Designer
Van Cleef & Arpels
One of the world’s foremost jewelry houses, Van Cleef & Arpels is particularly noted for a focus on technical virtuosity, craftsmanship and artistry, evident since its beginning. Rather than create earrings, bracelets, necklaces and other adornments primarily for the aim of displaying of wealth and opulence, Van Cleef & Arpels sought to produce jewelry that projected the wearer’s taste and style.
The company was formed a year after the 1895 marriage of Alfred Van Cleef, the son of a gem cutter, to Estelle Arpels, daughter of precious-stones dealer Salomon Arpel. Ten years later, Van Cleef & Arpels opened its first boutique on the Place Vendôme in Paris, setting the march on a square now crowded with dealers in bijouterie. (The company still occupies the New York flagship store opened in 1939 at Fifth Avenue and 57th Street.)
Born from a union of expertise in both jewelry making and gem selection, the Van Cleef & Arpels distinguished itself with both the consistency of the color and clarity of its stones and the creativity of its designs. In doing so, the house would win a roster of dedicated, fashion-conscious clients that included the Duchess of Windsor, Marlene Dietrich, Barbara Hutton, Jacqueline Onassis and Elizabeth Taylor. In 1933, Van Cleef & Arpels patented its trademark Mystery Setting — a technique by which gems are fitted into an intricate matrix of slots and “drawers” that keep the setting hidden. Another signal innovation was the Zip necklace, introduced in 1951, which can be worn either around the neck or, with the zipper closed, as a bracelet.
But as much as to the firm’s craftsmanship, clients have been drawn by the insouciance and playfulness of Van Cleef & Arpels designers, as well as their attunement to the cultural climate. After the discovery of Tutankhamun’s tomb in 1922, the company produced several lavish pieces featuring hieroglyphics and other Egyptian motifs to go along with the geometric Art Deco jewelry of that decade and the next. Following World War II, as symbols of freedom and rebirth, the firm focused on naturalistic forms such as birds, flowers, fruit and flying insects. High society’s 1960s fascination with the Near East and India prompted such pieces as the best-selling Alhambra necklace, popularized by Princess Grace.
Lately, attention among collectors and connoisseurs has centered on Van Cleef & Arpels’s quality of workmanship as much as its glamour. The firm was the subject of a 2012 show at the Cooper-Hewitt, Smithsonian Design Museum, as well as exhibitions at the Bowers Museum in Santa Ana, California, in 2013 and at the Musée des Arts Décoratifs in Paris in 2014.
Find an exquisite collection of Van Cleef & Arpels jewelry on 1stDibs.
- 1970s Van Cleef & Arpels 18 Karat Yellow Gold Diamond and Pearl EarringsBy Van Cleef & ArpelsLocated in West Palm Beach, FLA, pair of beautiful Cultured Pearl Dangle earrings by famous jewelry house Van Cleef & Arpels. Made, in the 1970's these beautiful earrings are made in 18k yellow gold and feature a...Category
Vintage 1970s Drop EarringsMaterials
Diamond, Cultured Pearl, 18k Gold, Yellow Gold$31,500Free Shipping
- Van Cleef & Arpels 1980s Amethyst and Diamond EarringsBy Van Cleef & ArpelsLocated in West Palm Beach, FLA stunning pair of 1980's Vancleef & Arpels amethyst and diamond earrings are in excellent condition, with all proper hallmarks, stamped "VCA 56280". Beautifully, matched amethyst su...Category
Vintage 1980s Stud EarringsMaterials
Amethyst, Diamond, 18k Gold, Yellow Gold$19,800Free Shipping
- Van Cleef & Arpels Bouton d'or earrings 18K Yellow GoldBy Van Cleef & ArpelsLocated in West Palm Beach, FLVan Cleef & Arpels Bouton d'or Earrings 18K Yellow gold, Chrysoprase, Diamond, OnyxCategory
21st Century and Contemporary Dangle EarringsMaterials
Chrysophrase, Diamond, Onyx, Yellow Gold$23,280Free Shipping
- Van Cleef & Arpels Emerald and Diamond RingBy Van Cleef & ArpelsLocated in West Palm Beach, FLVery classy and elegant, this beautiful Emerald ring is created by the famed jewelry house of Van Cleef & Arpels. Center Emerald of 1.25 carats is mounted with 3.2 carats of diamond...Category
20th Century Band RingsMaterials
Diamond, Emerald, 18k Gold, Yellow Gold$25,500Free Shipping
- Van Cleef and Arpels Lady Arpels Féerie Rouge WatchBy Van Cleef & ArpelsLocated in West Palm Beach, FL18K White Gold Diamond: 182 stones, 3.06 carats A truly protective muse, the fairy watches over the passage of time. With her magic wand, she draws the h...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Wrist WatchesMaterials
- Van Cleef & Arpels Natural Yellow Ceylon Sapphire and Diamond NecklaceBy Van Cleef & ArpelsLocated in West Palm Beach, FLA natural yellow Ceylon sapphire diamond necklace by Van Cleef & Arpels. The necklace is beautifully finished in 18kt yellow gold foll...Category
20th Century American Link NecklacesMaterials
Yellow Sapphire, Diamond, 18k Gold, Yellow Gold
- Van Cleef & Arpels Diamond and Ruby EarringsBy Van Cleef & ArpelsLocated in New York, NYVintage 18k yellow gold diamond and ruby hoop ear clips signed by Van Cleef & Arpels. dimensions approximately 1" in length by 0.5" in width Stamped "Van Cleef & Arpels" and numberedCategory
Vintage 1980s French Clip-on EarringsMaterials
Diamond, Ruby, 18k Gold$35,000Free Shipping
- Van Cleef & Arpels Ruby Diamond EarringsBy Van Cleef & ArpelsLocated in New York, NYA pair of earrings made by Van Cleef & Arpels and comprising of rubies and diamonds. Total weight of diamonds is 1.5 carat with E color, VVS clarity. Rubies are weighing a total of 3...Category
21st Century and Contemporary American Clip-on EarringsMaterials
Diamond, Ruby, 18k Gold$18,900Free Shipping
- Van Cleef & Arpels Ruby and Diamond EarringsBy Van Cleef & ArpelsLocated in New York, NYA demonstration of superlative artistry, this pair of French mid-20th century Van Cleef & Arpels clipback button earrings with stripes of rubies and diamonds is a masterpiece of mode...Category
Vintage 1960s French Clip-on EarringsMaterials
Diamond, White Diamond, Ruby, PlatinumPrice Upon Request
- Van Cleef & Arpels Diamond and Ruby Cocktail Earrings, 18kBy Van Cleef & ArpelsLocated in New York, NYA pair of Van Cleef & Arpels Diamond and Ruby Cocktail Earrings made in 18 Karat Yellow Gold. The earrings are made in 1960s. The total weight of the earring is 31.70 grams. The diam...Category
Vintage 1960s Clip-on EarringsMaterials
Diamond, Ruby$95,000Free Shipping
- Van Cleef & Arpels Ruby Diamond Belles Feuilles EarringsBy Van Cleef & ArpelsLocated in Palm Beach, FLVan Cleef & Arpels "Belles Feuilles" 18k yellow gold, ruby and diamond clip earrings, featuring 70 natural no-heat Burmese rubies weighi...Category
Vintage 1950s French Modern Clip-on EarringsMaterials
Diamond, Ruby, 18k Gold, Yellow Gold$55,000Free Shipping
- Iconic Van Cleef and Arpels Day and Night Sapphire EarringsBy Van Cleef & ArpelsLocated in New York, NYVan Cleef and Arpels Day and Night Sapphire Earrings - A pair of 18 karat gold earrings set with sapphire beads and approximately 6.1 carats of round and single cut diamonds. The pen...Category
Vintage 1970s American Dangle EarringsMaterials
Diamond, Sapphire, 18k Gold, Yellow Gold
Recently ViewedView All
Gems by David Webb, Cartier and Van Cleef & Arpels Anchor The Back Vault’s Treasure Trove
Boasting one of the largest collections of David Webb in the world, the firm offers exceptional jewels — always in demand yet never in short supply.
This Turquoise Van Cleef & Arpels Alhambra Necklace Is a Rare and Alluring Find
You know the French maison’s famous motif well. But why is this particular piece so in demand?