Vintage Van Cleef & Arpels Earrings Platinum 18k Gold Ruby Diamond
About the Item
- Stone Cut:
- Weight:25.1 g
- Dimensions:Height: 0.88 in (22.36 mm)Width: 0.88 in (22.36 mm)
- Sold As:Set of 2
- Lab Report Available:
- Place of Origin:France
- Date of Manufacture:Circa 1980s
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use.
- Seller Location:Beverly Hills, CA
- Reference Number:Seller: ATOOO 10-221stDibs: LU6917257182
Van Cleef & Arpels
One of the world’s foremost jewelry houses, Van Cleef & Arpels is particularly noted for a focus on technical virtuosity, craftsmanship and artistry, evident since its beginning. Rather than create earrings, bracelets, necklaces and other adornments primarily for the aim of displaying of wealth and opulence, Van Cleef & Arpels sought to produce jewelry that projected the wearer’s taste and style.
The company was formed a year after the 1895 marriage of Alfred Van Cleef, the son of a gem cutter, to Estelle Arpels, daughter of precious-stones dealer Salomon Arpel. Ten years later, Van Cleef & Arpels opened its first boutique on the Place Vendôme in Paris, setting the march on a square now crowded with dealers in bijouterie. (The company still occupies the New York flagship store opened in 1939 at Fifth Avenue and 57th Street.)
Born from a union of expertise in both jewelry making and gem selection, the Van Cleef & Arpels distinguished itself with both the consistency of the color and clarity of its stones and the creativity of its designs. In doing so, the house would win a roster of dedicated, fashion-conscious clients that included the Duchess of Windsor, Marlene Dietrich, Barbara Hutton, Jacqueline Onassis and Elizabeth Taylor. In 1933, Van Cleef & Arpels patented its trademark Mystery Setting — a technique by which gems are fitted into an intricate matrix of slots and “drawers” that keep the setting hidden. Another signal innovation was the Zip necklace, introduced in 1951, which can be worn either around the neck or, with the zipper closed, as a bracelet.
But as much as to the firm’s craftsmanship, clients have been drawn by the insouciance and playfulness of Van Cleef & Arpels designers, as well as their attunement to the cultural climate. After the discovery of Tutankhamun’s tomb in 1922, the company produced several lavish pieces featuring hieroglyphics and other Egyptian motifs to go along with the geometric Art Deco jewelry of that decade and the next. Following World War II, as symbols of freedom and rebirth, the firm focused on naturalistic forms such as birds, flowers, fruit and flying insects. High society’s 1960s fascination with the Near East and India prompted such pieces as the best-selling Alhambra necklace, popularized by Princess Grace.
Lately, attention among collectors and connoisseurs has centered on Van Cleef & Arpels’s quality of workmanship as much as its glamour. The firm was the subject of a 2012 show at the Cooper-Hewitt, Smithsonian Design Museum, as well as exhibitions at the Bowers Museum in Santa Ana, California, in 2013 and at the Musée des Arts Décoratifs in Paris in 2014.
Find an exquisite collection of Van Cleef & Arpels jewelry on 1stDibs.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Beverly Hills, CA
- Return PolicyA return for this item may be initiated within 3 days of delivery.
- Van Cleef & Arpels Diamond Yellow Gold EarringsBy Van Cleef & ArpelsLocated in Beverly Hills, CAClassy and timeless ear clips created by Van Cleef & Arpels in the 1980s. Feminine, wearable and French chic, the earrings are a great addition to your jewelry collection. Made of 1...Category
Late 20th Century French More EarringsMaterials
Diamond, White Diamond, White Gold, 18k Gold, Yellow GoldFree Shipping
- Vintage Van Cleef & Arpels Ring Burmese Ruby Diamond 18k Gold French EstateBy Van Cleef & ArpelsLocated in Beverly Hills, CAStunning and chic cocktail ring created by Van Cleef & Arpels in France in 1985. Features an approximately 8.86-carat oval cabochon natural Burmese ruby set in yellow gold and framed...Category
Vintage 1980s American Cocktail RingsMaterials
Diamond, Ruby, 18k Gold, Yellow Gold
- Vintage Ruby Diamond 18k Yellow Gold EarringsLocated in Beverly Hills, CAFeminine and elegant earrings made of 18 karat (stamped) yellow gold set with tapered baguette rubies (total weight approximately 2.50 carats) and round brilliant cut diamonds (total...Category
Vintage 1980s American More EarringsMaterials
Diamond, Ruby, 18k Gold, Yellow GoldFree Shipping
- Vintage Van Cleef & Arpels 18k Gold Buckle RingBy Van Cleef & ArpelsLocated in Beverly Hills, CAFun yet classy buckle ring created by Van Cleef & Arpels in France in the 1970s. Made of 18 karat yellow gold and set with finest sapphires and diamonds. The oval sapphire weighs ap...Category
Vintage 1970s French More RingsMaterials
Diamond, Blue Sapphire, 18k Gold, Yellow GoldFree Shipping
- Van Cleef & Arpels Enamel 18k Gold Ring Earrings SetBy Van Cleef & ArpelsLocated in Beverly Hills, CAColorful set made of 18k yellow gold and blue enamel. Measurements: earrings 1" x 3/4" x 3/8" (2.4 x 1.7 x 0.8 cm); ring 3/4 x 7/8" x 3/8" (1.79 x 2.3 x 0.8 cm). Ring size: 5.75; re...Category
Vintage 1950s American Clip-on EarringsMaterials
18k Gold, Yellow GoldFree Shipping
- Van Cleef & Arpels 18k Gold Necklace and Bracelet Set VintageBy Van Cleef & ArpelsLocated in Beverly Hills, CAFeminine necklace and bracelet set created by Van Cleef & Arpels in France in the 1980s. The set is made of 18 karat yellow gold, mother-of-pearl and accented with round brilliant cu...Category
Vintage 1980s French More NecklacesMaterials
Diamond, 18k Gold, Yellow Gold
- Van Cleef & Arpels Ruby Diamond EarringsBy Van Cleef & ArpelsLocated in New York, NYA pair of earrings made by Van Cleef & Arpels and comprising of rubies and diamonds. Total weight of diamonds is 1.5 carat with E color, VVS clarity. Rubies are weighing a total of 3...Category
21st Century and Contemporary American Clip-on EarringsMaterials
Diamond, Ruby, 18k GoldFree Shipping
- Van Cleef & Arpels Octagonal Shape Ruby and Diamond Earrings, 18KBy Van Cleef & ArpelsLocated in New York, NYA Van Cleef & Arpels Octagonal Shape Ruby and Diamond Earrings made in 18 Karat Yellow Gold. The earrings are clip-ons. The length of the earrings is 0.45 inches.Category
20th Century Clip-on EarringsMaterials
- Van Cleef & Arpels Vintage Diamond and Emerald Earrings 18k Yellow GoldBy Van Cleef & ArpelsLocated in Beverly Hills, CAVan Cleef & Arpels Diamond and Emerald Earrings Estimated Weight of Top Quality Emerald 6.0 carats Estimated Weight of Diamond 3.0 carats DE Color VVS Clarity Marked "VCA France ...Category
Early 2000s French Contemporary Clip-on EarringsMaterials
Diamond, Emerald, 18k Gold, Yellow Gold
- Van Cleef & Arpels 18K Gold Sapphire and Diamond EarringsBy Van Cleef & ArpelsLocated in New York, NYThese Van Cleef & Arpels 18K Gold hoop earrings Circa 1979 feature 1.5 carats of round diamonds accented by cabochon sapphires. 7/8 inch diameter. Signed VCA France, numbered NY49899-2. The item was just serviced and repolished by Van Cleef NY...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Hoop EarringsMaterials
Diamond, Sapphire, 18k Gold
- Vintage Van Cleef & Arpels Diamond Flower Earrings in 18k Yellow Gold w/ PouchBy Van Cleef & ArpelsLocated in Philadelphia, PAThese vintage VCA flower style earrings feature 70 round brilliant cut diamonds totaling approximately 2.80 carats with F+ color and VS clarity set in 18k y...Category
Late 20th Century Lever-Back EarringsMaterials
Diamond, Gold, 18k Gold, Yellow Gold
- Van Cleef & Arpels Swirl Earrings in 18K GoldBy Van Cleef & ArpelsLocated in Houston, TXVan Cleef & Arpels earrings in 18K yellow gold with a swirl pattern. These are for pierced ears with a lever back. Measure 1 inch long and 3/4 inches wide. Serial No. NY3K750-10.Category
Late 20th Century French Lever-Back EarringsMaterials
18k GoldFree Shipping
Recently ViewedView All
Gems by David Webb, Cartier and Van Cleef & Arpels Anchor The Back Vault’s Treasure Trove
Boasting one of the largest collections of David Webb in the world, the firm offers exceptional jewels — always in demand yet never in short supply.
This Turquoise Van Cleef & Arpels Alhambra Necklace Is a Rare and Alluring Find
You know the French maison’s famous motif well. But why is this particular piece so in demand?