NIB Christian Dior Vintage "Valentine" Golden Bronze Masai Choker Necklace
About the Item
When Christian Dior launched his couture house, in 1946, he wanted nothing less than to make “an elegant woman more beautiful and a beautiful woman more elegant.” He succeeded, and in doing so the visionary designer altered the landscape of 20th century fashion.
Dior was born in Granville, on the Normandy coast, in 1905. His prosperous haute bourgeois parents wanted him to become a diplomat despite his interest in art and architecture. However, they agreed to bankroll an art gallery, which Dior opened in 1928 in Paris with a friend.
This was the start of Dior’s rise in the city’s creative milieu, where he befriended Pablo Picasso and Jean Cocteau. After seven years as an art dealer, Dior retrained as a fashion illustrator, eventually landing a job as a fashion designer for Robert Piguet, and in 1941, following a year of military service, he joined the house of Lucien Lelong. Just five years later, with the backing of industrialist Marcel Boussac, the ascendant Dior established his own fashion house, at 30 avenue Montaigne in Paris.
Just two years after the end of World War II, the fashion crowd and the moribund haute couture industry were yearning, comme tout Paris, for security and prosperity, desperate to discard the drab, sexless, utilitarian garb imposed by wartime deprivation. They needed to dream anew.
And Dior delivered: He designed a collection for a bright, optimistic future. “It’s quite a revolution, dear Christian!” exclaimed Carmel Snow, the prescient American editor-in-chief of Harper’s Bazaar, famously proclaiming, “Your dresses have such a new look.” The press ran with the description, christening Dior’s debut Spring/Summer haute couture collection the New Look. “God help those who bought before they saw Dior,” said Snow. “This changes everything.”
Dior’s collection definitively declared that opulence, luxury and femininity were in. His skirts could have 40-meter-circumference hems, and outfits could weigh up to 60 pounds. They were cut and shaped like architecture, on strong foundations that molded women and “freed them from nature,” Dior said. Rather than rationing, his ladies wanted reams of fabric and 19-inch waists enforced by wire corsets, and the fashion world concurred. The debut got a standing ovation.
In the subsequent decade, Paris ruled as the undisputed fashion capital of the world, and Christian Dior reigned as its king. With the luxuriously full skirts of his New Look, suits and his drop-dead gorgeous evening dresses and ball gowns worthy of any princess, Dior gave women the gift of glamour they’d lost in the miserable years of war.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Los Angeles, CA
- Return PolicyThis item cannot be returned.
- Heidi Daus "Spectacular Belgian Disc" XL Cultured Pearl Tassel Drop NecklaceBy Heidi DausLocated in Los Angeles, CAExquisite statement Heidi Daus iconic Belgian Disc necklace new in box. The iconic disc is known in her collection. However, this drop necklace is constructed of pure white "authentic" cultured freshwater pearls. Most versions of this necklace do not have authentic pearls...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Art Deco Drop Necklaces
- Robert Lee Morris Statement Vintage Choker NecklaceBy Robert Lee MorrisLocated in Los Angeles, CACirca 1980's-90's dramatic very well made Robert Lee Morris choker. Features faux white pearl and resin interspersed with gold metal. A strong statement piece and unique necklace often not seen in RLM current vintage fashion jewelry...Category
20th Century Choker NecklacesFree Shipping
- Heidi Daus "invitation Only" Art Deco Jeweled NecklaceBy Heidi DausLocated in Los Angeles, CAA stunning elevated Heidi Daus crystal collar necklace. Wide collar necklace features 3 tapered section of bezel-set, multi shaped crystals in cl...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Art Deco Beaded Necklaces
- NIB Handcrafted Smoky Quartz and Agate Sterling Silver Floral NecklaceLocated in Los Angeles, CAA stunning statement piece handcrafted in rich colors of orange agate flowers accented with turquoise and smoky quartz centers. Each beaded strand graduates longer than the next, and features stations of multishaped smoky quartz, orange agate, red glass and dyed brown freshwater pearls. Smoky quartz rondelles complete the end of each strand. Scrolled sterling silver cone...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Beaded Necklaces
- Rare Authentic Valentino Haute Couture Jeweled Runway Oval Cuff BraceletBy ValentinoLocated in Los Angeles, CAOne-of-a-kind Valentino hand crafted haute couture cuff made for the 2001 S/S runway show (see photos of model wearing on each arm). This bracelet is the actual one worn on the runw...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Bangles
- Vionnet Ice Blue Pave Set Hammered Deco Cuff BraceletBy VionnetLocated in Los Angeles, CAFrench designer, Madeline Vionnet, 1913-74, is considered to be one of the most influential fashion designers of the 20th century, introducing the bias cut and the sensual fluid drap...Category
21st Century and Contemporary French Cuff BraceletsFree Shipping
- Designer Lagos Diamond & Ruby Brooch& Pearls Necklace 14k Yellow Gold, AntiqueLocated in New York, NYFor those in search of a truly unique and beautiful piece of jewelry, consider this Designer Lagos Diamond & Ruby Brooch & Pearls Necklace. This antique necklace boasts exceptional craftsmanship and a range of rare and high-quality gemstones. At the center of the necklace is a stunning pendant featuring a very fine natural ruby and Vs quality brilliant cut diamonds. The pendant is accented with six round rubies, natural and approximately 1.5 carats in total, and 10 round diamonds that total approximately 1.5 carats. The necklace is comprised of four strands of pearls, adding to its elegance and luxury. The back of the necklace features a 14 karat gold clasp, ensuring that it stays securely in place while being worn. Overall, the necklace weighs an impressive 122 grams, making it substantial enough to feel luxurious and high-end. It has a length of 16 inches, making it the perfect length for most necklines. All in all, this Designer Lagos Diamond & Ruby Broach...Category
2010s Choker NecklacesMaterials
Diamond, Pearl, Ruby, 14k Gold, Yellow Gold
- Antique 14.5ct Diamond Center Brooch with Pearls Necklace in Platinum BridalLocated in New York, NYThis 14.5 Carats VS, E Diamond Necklace made in Platinum is a true work of art. The necklace is designed as a choker, with a center part that has a plate made of all diamonds with 5 ...Category
2010s Choker NecklacesMaterials
Diamond, Pearl, Platinum
- Peridot Diamond Railway Choker 18 Karat Yellow GoldBy Karma El KhalilLocated in West Hollywood, CAPeridot Diamond Railway Line Choker features emerald cut green peridot stones linked by a double row of white diamond bars Includes a lobster clasp closure with extender chain to wea...Category
2010s American Contemporary Choker NecklacesMaterials
Diamond, White Diamond, Peridot, 18k Gold, Gold, Yellow GoldFree Shipping
- 14.40 Carat Diamond 14 Karat White Gold NecklaceBy Meghna JewelsLocated in Hoffman Estate, ILCast from 14-karat white gold, this stunning necklace is hand set with 14.40 carats of sparkling diamonds. See matching earrings that compliments with this necklace. FOLLOW MEGHNA J...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Unknown Contemporary Choker NecklacesMaterials
Diamond, Gold, White Gold, 14k GoldFree Shipping
- 15.2 Carat Diamond 14 Karat White Gold Statement NecklaceBy Meghna JewelsLocated in Hoffman Estate, ILCast from 14-karat white gold, this exquisite necklace is hand set with 15.20 carats of sparkling diamonds. FOLLOW MEGHNA JEWELS storefront to view the latest collection & exclusiv...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Unknown Modern Choker NecklacesMaterials
Diamond, Gold, White Gold, 14k Gold
- Ltd Edition Van Cleef & Arpels Onyx Vintage Alhambra Necklace 29 MotifBy Van Cleef & ArpelsLocated in London, GBAn iconic 18k yellow gold necklace by Van Cleef & Arpels from the Vintage Alhambra collection. The necklace features 29 iconic 4 leaf clover...Category
21st Century and Contemporary French Multi-Strand NecklacesMaterials
18k Gold, Yellow Gold
Recently ViewedView All
Too Soon for the Return of ’90s Fashion? As If
There's a renewed appreciation for the era's aesthetic, perhaps most notably among millennials seeking authentic, easy style.
14 Iconic Luxury Handbags and the Stories behind Them
When the name of a bag is as well-known as its brand, you know it's a classic.