- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Van Cleef & Arpels 30cts Diamond Sapphire Necklace in 18 Karat Gold
- Stone Cut
- DimensionsLength: 14 in (355.6 mm)
- Place of OriginFrance
- Date of Manufacture1980s
- Seller LocationDallas, TX
- Reference Number1stDibs: LU2243212314682
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Dallas, TX
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 3 days of delivery.
About the Designer
Van Cleef & Arpels
One of the world’s foremost jewelry houses, Van Cleef & Arpels is particularly noted for a focus on technical virtuosity, craftsmanship and artistry, evident since its beginning. Rather than create earrings, bracelets, necklaces and other adornments primarily for the aim of displaying of wealth and opulence, Van Cleef & Arpels sought to produce jewelry that projected the wearer’s taste and style.
The company was formed a year after the 1895 marriage of Alfred Van Cleef, the son of a gem cutter, to Estelle Arpels, daughter of precious-stones dealer Salomon Arpel. Ten years later, Van Cleef & Arpels opened its first boutique on the Place Vendôme in Paris, setting the march on a square now crowded with dealers in bijouterie. (The company still occupies the New York flagship store opened in 1939 at Fifth Avenue and 57th Street.)
Born from a union of expertise in both jewelry making and gem selection, the Van Cleef & Arpels distinguished itself with both the consistency of the color and clarity of its stones and the creativity of its designs. In doing so, the house would win a roster of dedicated, fashion-conscious clients that included the Duchess of Windsor, Marlene Dietrich, Barbara Hutton, Jacqueline Onassis and Elizabeth Taylor. In 1933, Van Cleef & Arpels patented its trademark Mystery Setting — a technique by which gems are fitted into an intricate matrix of slots and “drawers” that keep the setting hidden. Another signal innovation was the Zip necklace, introduced in 1951, which can be worn either around the neck or, with the zipper closed, as a bracelet.
But as much as to the firm’s craftsmanship, clients have been drawn by the insouciance and playfulness of Van Cleef & Arpels designers, as well as their attunement to the cultural climate. After the discovery of Tutankhamun’s tomb in 1922, the company produced several lavish pieces featuring hieroglyphics and other Egyptian motifs to go along with the geometric Art Deco jewelry of that decade and the next. Following World War II, as symbols of freedom and rebirth, the firm focused on naturalistic forms such as birds, flowers, fruit and flying insects. High society’s 1960s fascination with the Near East and India prompted such pieces as the best-selling Alhambra necklace, popularized by Princess Grace.
Lately, attention among collectors and connoisseurs has centered on Van Cleef & Arpels’s quality of workmanship as much as its glamour. The firm was the subject of a 2012 show at the Cooper-Hewitt, Smithsonian Design Museum, as well as exhibitions at the Bowers Museum in Santa Ana, California, in 2013 and at the Musée des Arts Décoratifs in Paris in 2014.
Find an exquisite collection of Van Cleef & Arpels jewelry on 1stDibs.
- Van Cleef & Arpels Vintage Alhambra 10 Motif Necklace in 18K Yellow GoldBy Van Cleef & ArpelsLocated in Dallas, TXClassic Van Cleef & Arpels Vintage Alhambra necklace featuring 10 motifs in 18 karat yellow gold. Each four-leaf clover motif (symbol of good luck) is adorned with a border of golden...Category
21st Century and Contemporary French Link NecklacesMaterials
18k Gold, Yellow Gold$10,900Free Shipping
- Cartier 20cts Diamond Bamboo Necklace in 18 Karat GoldBy CartierLocated in Dallas, TXDazzling vintage Cartier Bamboo necklace showcasing approximately 20 carats of fine-white brilliant round diamonds impeccably set in lustrous 18 karat yellow gold. The necklace rests...Category
Vintage 1980s French Link NecklacesMaterials
Diamond, 18k Gold, Yellow Gold$49,500Free Shipping
- Boucheron Serpent Boheme Diamond Necklace & Bracelet in 18k GoldBy BoucheronLocated in Dallas, TXSplendid Boucheron Serpent Boheme necklace and bracelet combination crafted in 18 karat yellow gold and featuring approximately 9 carats of sparkling pave-set diamonds. A wonderfully...Category
Late 20th Century French Link NecklacesMaterials
Diamond, 18k Gold, Yellow Gold$49,600 Sale Price20% OffFree Shipping
- James Ganh Sensational 7.6cts Amethyst Sapphire Diamond Ring in 18K GoldLocated in Dallas, TXSublime cocktail ring by James Ganh, London high-jewelry designer who is currently designing the high-jewelry collection for famed Faberge. He is known as the jewelry architect due t...Category
21st Century and Contemporary British Cocktail RingsMaterials
Amethyst, White Diamond, Yellow Diamond, Sapphire, 18k Gold, White Gold,...$13,230 Sale Price30% OffFree Shipping
- Cartier 36cts Diamond Bamboo Suite in 18K Gold Necklace Bracelet EarringsBy CartierLocated in Dallas, TXDazzling vintage Cartier Bamboo collection suite showcasing approximately 36 carats of fine-white brilliant round diamonds impeccably set in lustrous 18 karat yellow gold. The 3-item...Category
Vintage 1980s French Cuff BraceletsMaterials
Diamond, 18k Gold, Yellow Gold
- Graff Magnificent 31cts Diamond Necklace in Platinum with GIA Certificate & CaseBy GraffLocated in Dallas, TXExceptional Graff diamond necklace radiating glamour and classic elegance and showcasing 31 carats of finest white diamonds (approximately D to G color) masterfully set in noble plat...Category
21st Century and Contemporary British Drop NecklacesMaterials
Diamond, 18k Gold, Platinum
- Van Cleef & Arpels Diamond and 18 Karat Yellow Gold Link NecklaceBy Van Cleef & ArpelsLocated in Coral Gables, FLVan Cleef and Arpels Diamond and 18 Karat Yellow Gold Link Necklace features 77 round brilliant cut diamonds with an estimated total weight of 1.5 Carats E Color VS Clarity. Necklace...Category
Late 20th Century French Modern Link NecklacesMaterials
Diamond, 18k Gold, Yellow Gold$28,000Free Shipping
- Van Cleef & Arpels Diamond Yellow Sapphire Necklace SuiteBy Van Cleef & ArpelsLocated in New York, NYAn impeccable trio by Van Cleef & Arpels, this 1980's set is comprised of a necklace, earrings, and ring, all of which are finely set with an opulence of brilliant-cut diamonds and r...Category
Vintage 1980s French Link NecklacesMaterials
Diamond, Sapphire, 18k Gold
- Van Cleef & Arpels 18 Karat Yellow Gold and Diamond Station Necklace ChokerBy Van Cleef & ArpelsLocated in Tampa, FLThis beautiful Van Cleef and Arpels necklace is excellently crafted in solid 18 karat yellow gold and diamond stations featuring round brilliant cut diamonds weighing approximately 2...Category
Vintage 1960s American Retro Link NecklacesMaterials
Diamond, 18k Gold, Yellow Gold$29,980Free Shipping
- Van Cleef & Arpels Diamond and Gold NecklaceBy Van Cleef & ArpelsLocated in New York, NYVan Cleef & Arpels, 18k gold and diamond necklace, The necklace composed of gold links with braided design, encrusted at the front within quality round brilliant-cut diamonds, estim...Category
Late 20th Century French Artist Link NecklacesMaterials
Diamond, 18k Gold$53,000Free Shipping
- Van Cleef & Arpels Natural Yellow Ceylon Sapphire and Diamond NecklaceBy Van Cleef & ArpelsLocated in West Palm Beach, FLA natural yellow Ceylon sapphire diamond necklace by Van Cleef & Arpels. The necklace is beautifully finished in 18kt yellow gold followed by a pattern of sapphires and diamonds. The...Category
20th Century American Link NecklacesMaterials
Yellow Sapphire, Diamond, 18k Gold, Yellow Gold
- Van Cleef & Arpels Tubogas Gold NecklaceBy Van Cleef & ArpelsLocated in New Orleans, LAThis exceptional Van Cleef & Arpels necklace is a wonder of retro design. This necklace is comprised of a revolutionary, flexible Tubogas link chain of 18K yellow gold. Slightly rais...Category
20th Century French Retro Choker NecklacesMaterials
White Diamond, Gold, 18k Gold, Yellow Gold$26,850Free Shipping
Recently ViewedView More
This Turquoise Van Cleef & Arpels Alhambra Necklace Is a Rare and Alluring Find
You know the French maison’s famous motif well. But why is this particular piece so in demand?
A Mini Romance Plays Out on the Dial of This Van Cleef and Arpels Watch
The tiny lovers inch closer together by the hour and minute until they finally embrace on a world-famous bridge.