Yves Saint Laurent Red Green Passementerie Tassel Belt Bag YSL, 1990s
About the Item
Yves Saint Laurent
French fashion designer Yves Saint Laurent pioneered “cross-design” in fashion, taking inspiration from street trends to modernize haute couture.
Saint Laurent was the first to launch a ready-to-wear label, YSL Rive Gauche Prêt-à-Porter. He was the first couturier to open boutiques for both men and women. Using traditional menswear fabrics and designs for women, Saint Laurent also literally cross-dressed, giving men and women alike chic pant suits, elegant tuxedo jackets and urban safari gear. By blurring gender-specific design, he empowered individual style while creating a scissor-sharp fashion aesthetic of sensual ease and beauty. Many of his designs are today considered timeless classics. Saint Laurent also consistently used Black models, like Mounia, Iman and Naomi Campbell, and he drew endless inspiration from different ethnicities and cultures, in no small part because of his Algerian roots.
Born to French parents in Oran, Algeria, in 1936, Saint Laurent went to Paris at age 17 to study fashion at the Chambre Syndicale de la Haute Couture. Just two years later, in 1955, his remarkable sketches were shown to Christian Dior, then the world’s reigning couturier, who hired him immediately.
Surprisingly soon thereafter, Dior publicly chose Saint Laurent as his successor, which sadly proved prescient when the fashion legend died unexpectedly, in 1957. A mere slip of a youth, the 21-year-old Saint Laurent was nevertheless up to the challenge. He shook the traditional couture clientele to its core with youthful silhouettes and styles like the A-line trapeze dress that hung with seeming effortlessness from the shoulders, the antithesis of the pinched waists and molded skirts that had been all the rage after the deprivations of World War II.
After a mandated spell in the torturous French military, Saint Laurent suffered a nervous breakdown and was dismissed by Dior in 1962. Out of the ashes rose the Age of Yves. With Pierre Bergé, his then-lover who became his lifelong business partner and friend, the designer founded Yves Saint Laurent YSL to encompass prêt-à-porter, or ready-to-wear. In 1966, they opened the first YSL Rive Gauche women’s boutique in Paris, followed soon thereafter by YSL Rive Gauche for men. Saint Laurent had given birth to a global brand.
His revolutionary Mondrian mini dress from 1965 is a core element of his fashion biography. It is a prime example of how Saint Laurent, an avid art lover and collector, looked to painters, from Goya to Picasso, Ingres to Matisse, for inspiration.
With its pure lines and hues, Mondrian’s ground-breaking 1935 color-block painting Composition C transmutes beautifully into a dress that is highly valued by collectors of contemporary fashion and widely copied commercially to this day. The design is the epitome of Saint Laurent’s aesthetic, requiring a meticulous hand piecing of each color block so that, despite the body’s curves, the visual plane is as flat as a canvas when the garment is worn. Mondrian’s purity met its match in Saint Laurent.
“I am no longer concerned with sensation and innovation, but with the perfection of my style,” Saint Laurent said four years before retiring, in 2002. After a long period of ill health, he died at his home in Paris on June 1, 2008.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Boca Raton, FL
- Return PolicyA return for this item may be initiated within 2 days of delivery.
- Yves Saint Laurent Red Black Passementerie Gripoix Hearts Clutch/ Belt Bag YSLBy Yves Saint LaurentLocated in Boca Raton, FLThe suit, the safari jacket, the peasant dress—Yves Saint Laurent was a master at seeing the high-fashion potential of that which others might have dismissed. This passementerie purse is an example of his design genius. Passementerie, the art of making elaborate trimmings such as galloon, gimp, tassels and fringes, flourished from the sixteenth century when guilds were first established in France to the early-twentieth century. On clothing and furniture, these handcrafted embellishments were a sign of wealth and rank. With modernity, however, they fell out of favor and became passé. Yves Saint Laurent turned that perception on its head. For his fall/winter 1976/1977 Russian-themed collection, which was inspired by the ornamental beauty of Léon Bakst’s costumes for the Ballet Russes, he accessorized the lavish looks with tasseled and braided belts hand-finished by the storied passementerie makers. The runway show revived a taste for excess and made passementerie details a brand signature. The half-moon shape of this mini passementerie belt bag is crafted from lustrous ruby red cord interlaced to form its exterior. A variety of gold and Gripoix hearts bejewel the flap closure. The bag can slide of the belt so you can carry this as a clutch and wear the belt without the bag attached. Pair this special piece with evening wear or use it as a belt bag on the weekends. Measurements: Belt: 26-32 inches Bag width: 8 inches across top Height: 5.5 inches Depth: 1 inch This vintage Yves Saint Laurent passementerie...Category
1970s French Clutches
- Vintage Mary McFadden Five Strand Wood Bead Tassel Belt with BoxBy Mary McFaddenLocated in Boca Raton, FLThis Mary McFadden Belt comes to you in new condition with original box. The front of the belt has 5 strands, that fasten with a large wood bead. Th...Category
Late 20th Century Unknown Belts
- Yves Saint Laurent Runway 1991 Vintage YSL Passementerie Gold BeltBy Yves Saint LaurentLocated in Boca Raton, FLRich hues and international influences shaped several collections throughout YSL’s extensive career. Having explored influences from Africa, Eastern Europe, and India, Saint Laurent in a 1986 interview stated “I use my imagination to conjure up countries...Category
1970s French Belts
- 1970s Yves Saint Laurent Purple Pleated Silk Wide Cummerbund BeltBy Yves Saint LaurentLocated in Boca Raton, FLA commendable aspect to Yves Saint Laurent’s designs was his ability to seamlessly create a parity between menswear styles and elevated women’s aesthetic. From his sleek styling of t...Category
1970s French Belts
- Bottega Veneta Gold Chain Turquoise Leather Lion Head Belt, 1990sBy Bottega VenetaLocated in Boca Raton, FLAlthough Bottega Veneta’s signature is fine leather goods, the brand has had an exquisite talent for mixing materials to create elegant and artistic designs. By remixing the classic idea of hard and soft, this Bottega belt elicits a bold and old school Italian design style. Presumably from the 1990s, this belt is an excellent leather-metal combination. Running between two cerulean leather braided cords, interlocking gold discs create a central chain that make up the belt ending at the center with a hammered lion’s head for the clasp. Worn practically or as an accessory, the blue leather and gold chain are a stunning combination that can breathe an air of vibrancy into a variety of looks. Measurements: width: 1& 1/4 inches Length: 34 inches, This belt can easily be adjusted by hooking the lion clasp...Category
1990s Italian Belts
- Yves Saint Laurent Brown Yellow Braided Tassel Belt Wood Agate Beads YSL VintageBy Yves Saint LaurentLocated in Boca Raton, FLAfrican beading and traditional African elements appear throughout Saint Laurent’s designs. By drawing a rather pure inspiration from the diverse craftsman practices of the continent...Category
1990s French Belts
- Chanel Red Leather Belt, 1990-2000s Pristine Condition, Never Worn.By ChanelLocated in Buchanan, MIChanel Red Leather Belt, 1990-2000s Pristine Condition, Never Worn. Red Leather Buckel With Chanel Stamp.Category
20th Century Belts
- Victorian Etched Silver Belt Buckle with Jade, Ruby, Emeralds and PearlsLocated in New York, NYCustom, One-of-a-kind, Magnificently detailed Victorian Silver Belt buckle finely etched with swirls of leaves and gently waves, accented with an oval jade, four emeralds, ruby and 1...Category
Early 1900s English Belts
- 2000s Gianni Versace by Donatella Medusa Eyelet Beige Belt Bag Waist PouchBy Gianni Versace, Donatella Versace for Gianni VersaceLocated in Philadelphia, PATheRealList presents: a fabulous light beige Gianni Versace leather waist bag belt, designed by Donatella Versace. From the early 2000s, this wide leather belt features a removable s...Category
Early 2000s Italian Pouches and Wristlets
- Prada Multi Gold Studded Coco-Brown Fringed with Black Beadwork Buckle BeltBy PradaLocated in New York, NYPrada's wonderfully wicked coco-brown fringed buckle belt is detailed with multi gilded gold hardware studs throughout accented with black multi-beveled oblong beadwork. The w...Category
Early 2000s Italian Belts
- Christian Dior by John Galliano Saddle Belt Bag, Spring-Summer 2002By John Galliano, Christian DiorLocated in Geneva, CHThe ultimate "it” bag of the early 2000's, the "Saddle Bag" is probably the most iconic and recognizable "object" John Galliano created for Dior. The prolific whimsical designer has ...Category
Early 2000s Italian Belt Bags
Recently ViewedView All
How to Spot a Fake YSL Bag
Counterfeiters know that savvy fashionistas cherish YSL bags. Learn how to tell if yours is the real deal. Of course, you don't have to worry about that on 1stDibs, where every seller is highly vetted.
Quiet Luxury May Be Trending, but These Famous Interiors Prove That Quality and Quirk Endure
Because truly timeless design requires personal vision, transcendent taste, real fortitude and top-notch objects, even if the wider world hasn’t caught on yet.