1970s CHLOE Abstract Print Multi Color Print Silk Dress
About the Item
- Dimensions:Length: 48 in (121.92 cm)Marked Size: 2/4/6 (US)Bust: 38 in (96.52 cm)Waist: 30 in (76.2 cm)
- Place of Origin:
- Material Notes:silk
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use. light stain on the rear back sleeves ( see image ).
- Seller Location:Beverly Hills, CA
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU4262978823
A part of the Left Bank intellectual crowd who shared her mother’s fondness for fashion, Chloé cofounder Gaby Aghion was inspired to empower independent working women to break from the conservative dress of the 1950s and don more free-spirited, feminine designs that were appropriate for both work and social life.
Born in Alexandria, Egypt, Aghion established her fashion house in Paris in 1952 with her business partner Jacques Lenoir to develop her own source of income, separate from her husband’s. She was one of the first designers to embrace the concept of luxury prêt-à-porter as a middle ground between haute couture and off-the-rack for the masses.
In 1964, Aghion hired a fledgling Karl Lagerfeld as a designer. The pair would bring Chloé into the international spotlight with their easy yet glamorous lines that drew such fans as Jacqueline Kennedy. Lagerfeld became the staff creative lead at Chloé in 1974 and stayed with the brand until 1983, during which time he became known for his romantic silk dresses that continued Aghion’s feminine vision and were a favorite of the “rich hippie” set. In 1988, then-unknown designer Martine Sitbon took the helm of Chloé for several years before Lagerfeld returned as creative director from 1992 to 1997, drawing all of the iconic 1990s supermodels to his runway.
After his second departure, Chloé tapped yet another early-career designer to lead the label: a punky 25-year-old Stella McCartney, who earned the position not because of her famous lineage (she’s the daughter of Paul and Linda McCartney), but because of her fashion education at Central Saint Martins and work experience on London’s Savile Row and at Christian Lacroix. Following McCartney’s exit to launch her own line in 2001, Chloé named Phoebe Philo to the post.
Under Philo’s leadership, Chloé expanded from women’s clothing to an accessories line — including handbags — and debuted the legendary Paddington bag in 2004. The padlocked satchel, notorious for weighing a hefty three pounds while empty, became one of the “It bags” of the decade (the brand’s double-handled Marcie holds its own in that regard); the entire 8,000-bag initial production run sold out via preorders.
Philo left Chloé in 2006; her successors include, among others, Clare Waight Kelle and Natacha Ramsay-Levi, who announced that she would be departing the house in late 2020. Part of Chloé’s decades-long lasting influence — which we’d like to speculate would appease Aghion greatly — is the brand’s dedication as a career-launching platform for newbie designers, particularly women.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Beverly Hills, CA
- Return PolicyThis item cannot be returned.
- 1960s Geoffrey Beene Grey Wool Shift DressBy Geoffrey BeeneLocated in Beverly Hills, CAVintage Geoffrey Beene gray wool shift dress with rhinestones on collar and sleeve. Dress has pockets. Silk lining need to be replaced. ( see images) ...Category
1960s American Mini Dress
- Alexander McQueen Violet Grecian Silk Gown with Asymmetrical ShoulderBy Alexander McQueenLocated in Beverly Hills, CAVintage Alexander Mcqueen violet silk charmeuse Grecian gown with incredible drape and asymmetrical shoulder. Fit Size: 4/6 Small- Medium Bust: 34 inch / Waist: 30 inch /Hip: 38...Category
Early 2000s British Evening Gowns
- 80s Yves Saint Laurent Couture Black Velvet Cocktail DressBy Yves Saint LaurentLocated in Beverly Hills, CA1980s Yves Saint Laurent Couture Black Velvet Long sleeve cocktail dress. Bust: 40”/ waist: 30/ Hip: 40” /sleeve: 23”/ Dress length: 38”Category
1980s French Evening Gowns
- Jean Paul Gaultier Black Crepe Zipper DressBy Jean Paul GaultierLocated in Beverly Hills, CAJean Paul Gaultier Black Crepe Maxi Dress with adjustable zipper. You can adjust your zipper to be more revealing or zip all the way up. Fit size 2/4Category
Early 2000s Italian Evening Gowns
- Alexander McQueen 2005 Black Lace and Crinkle Pleat Silk DressBy Alexander McQueenLocated in San Francisco, CAAlexander McQueen black dress featuring lace at upper bodice and skirt of crinkle pleated silk. Cream mesh straps, raw edge at hem. Back zip and hook and eye with snaps at bottom zip...Category
Early 2000s Italian Cocktail Dresses
- Moschino Cheap and Chic Black Mesh Bow Knit DressBy MoschinoLocated in San Francisco, CAMoschino Cheap & Chic 2000s black sleeveless knit dress with cut-out bow shape at chest in black mesh. Back zip. 86% rayon, 9% polyamide, 5% other. Unlined. Made in Hungary. Label...Category
Early 2000s Hungarian Casual Dresses
- Alexander Mcqueen 2009 Wool Black and White Houndstooth Dogtooth Check DressBy Alexander McQueenLocated in San Francisco, CAAlexander McQueen sleeveless dress in the black and white houndstooth wool that became so iconic from the Fall 2009 Horn of Plenty c...Category
Early 2000s Italian Casual Dresses
- Alexander McQueen 2005 Black Silk Sleeveless Midi Cocktail Dress with Lace TrimBy Alexander McQueenLocated in San Francisco, CAAlexander McQueen black silk dress from the 2005 Hitchcock inspired collection 'The Man Who Knew Too Much,' which channeled Tippi Hedren and Marilyn Monroe. Fitted midi length silhou...Category
Early 2000s Italian Cocktail Dresses
- Unworn Alexander McQueen Cape Back Black and Red Floral Poppy Print Silk DressBy Alexander McQueenLocated in San Francisco, CAAlexander McQueen black silk crepe dress with red poppy floral print. Sweeping back cape is attached at the side seams. Short sleeve with a wide ruffle hem. Back zip is concealed by ...Category
2010s Italian Casual Dresses
- Christian Lacroix 1990s Black Gold Accent Pocket Front Maxi Wrap Dress GownBy Christian LacroixLocated in San Francisco, CAChristian Lacroix vintage black full length wrap dress with gold embellishment at one strap. Fastens closed at other strap and wraps with belt and snap at waist. Patch pockets at fr...Category
1990s French Maxi Dresses
Recently ViewedView All
14 Iconic Luxury Handbags and the Stories behind Them
When the name of a bag is as well-known as its brand, you know it's a classic.
The Best Ways to Dress for Your Astrological Sign
Makeup and astrology expert Linda Mason dispenses fashion advice for every zodiac sign. Does your wardrobe match your horoscope?