Dior Fall 2003 RTW Red Lace Set
About the Item
- Dimensions:Marked Size: FR 40 (NA)
- Place of Origin:
- Seller Location:Prague, CZ
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU2389213412102
John Galliano for Christian Dior
Known for introducing rich theatricality and memorable fashion spectacles to the runway, John Galliano has enjoyed a singular career. The audacious British designer has garnered universal acclaim for genre-breaking collections not only at his eponymous label but also for Christian Dior.
From his embroidered absinthe-green Oscars gown for actress Nicole Kidman to the iconic sleeveless newspaper-print dress that Sex and the City’s Carrie Bradshaw made famous, Galliano’s intricate and multifaceted work is reliably newsworthy, drawing on history as often as it embodies a fresh and forward-looking sensibility, and over the years the designer has helped shape an ever-broadening new legion of enthusiasts for Parisian couture.
Born in Gibraltar but raised in South London by strict Roman Catholic working-class parents, Galliano attended the all-boys Church of England grammar school, where his flamboyance and interest in art attracted the attention of bullies. Eventually, Galliano ended up at the prestigious design and art school Central Saint Martins College (then called Saint Martin’s School of Art), where fellow British designers Stella McCartney and Alexander McQueen also trained.
Galliano flourished at Central Saint Martins. While a student, he worked in the costume department at the National Theatre in London. His graduate collection in 1984, dubbed “Les Incroyables” and named for post–French Revolution fashion lovers, was modeled by close friends of his and earned a standing ovation. The line ended up in the storefront windows of London luxury boutique Brown’s on South Molton Street, and Galliano’s first official collection — after he graduated — debuted at Paris Fashion Week in 1989.
In the early 1990s, Galliano’s relationship with his financial backer, Plein Sud’s Faycal Amor, ended, and by 1994, he was broke and sleeping on the floor of a friend’s apartment. Vogue editor in chief Anna Wintour and then-Vanity Fair editor André Leon Talley stepped in and introduced the budding designer to Portuguese socialite and fashion patron São Schlumberger and others. At Schlumberger’s Hôtel Particulier, Galliano’s shows became the stuff of fashion legend. His collection, a blend of Japanese modernist style as well as nostalgia for Art Deco and 1940s’ tailoring, earned raves in glossy magazines and garnered the attention of Princess Diana, Madonna and other fashion luminaries.
Once the Galliano name was well known among the world’s most stylish set, the chairperson of LVMH, Bernard Arnault, appointed Galliano head designer of French fashion house Givenchy. One year later, in 1996, LVMH moved him to the design team at Dior. In just eight weeks, Galliano produced 50 looks for Dior Haute Couture’s brilliant Spring/Summer 1997 Maasai collection and would ultimately design a mind-boggling eight collections a year for the storied French fashion house until 2011. Today, Galliano is the creative director of Maison Margiela.
Shop vintage and contemporary John Galliano for Christian Dior evening dresses and gowns, shoes, handbags and other clothing and accessories on 1stDibs.
When Christian Dior launched his couture house, in 1946, he wanted nothing less than to make “an elegant woman more beautiful and a beautiful woman more elegant.” He succeeded, and in doing so the visionary designer altered the landscape of 20th century fashion.
Dior was born in Granville, on the Normandy coast, in 1905. His prosperous haute bourgeois parents wanted him to become a diplomat despite his interest in art and architecture. However, they agreed to bankroll an art gallery, which Dior opened in 1928 in Paris with a friend.
This was the start of Dior’s rise in the city’s creative milieu, where he befriended Pablo Picasso and Jean Cocteau. After seven years as an art dealer, Dior retrained as a fashion illustrator, eventually landing a job as a fashion designer for Robert Piguet, and in 1941, following a year of military service, he joined the house of Lucien Lelong. Just five years later, with the backing of industrialist Marcel Boussac, the ascendant Dior established his own fashion house, at 30 avenue Montaigne in Paris.
Just two years after the end of World War II, the fashion crowd and the moribund haute couture industry were yearning, comme tout Paris, for security and prosperity, desperate to discard the drab, sexless, utilitarian garb imposed by wartime deprivation. They needed to dream anew.
And Dior delivered: He designed a collection for a bright, optimistic future. “It’s quite a revolution, dear Christian!” exclaimed Carmel Snow, the prescient American editor-in-chief of Harper’s Bazaar, famously proclaiming, “Your dresses have such a new look.” The press ran with the description, christening Dior’s debut Spring/Summer haute couture collection the New Look. “God help those who bought before they saw Dior,” said Snow. “This changes everything.”
Dior’s collection definitively declared that opulence, luxury and femininity were in. His skirts could have 40-meter-circumference hems, and outfits could weigh up to 60 pounds. They were cut and shaped like architecture, on strong foundations that molded women and “freed them from nature,” Dior said. Rather than rationing, his ladies wanted reams of fabric and 19-inch waists enforced by wire corsets, and the fashion world concurred. The debut got a standing ovation.
In the subsequent decade, Paris ruled as the undisputed fashion capital of the world, and Christian Dior reigned as its king. With the luxuriously full skirts of his New Look, suits and his drop-dead gorgeous evening dresses and ball gowns worthy of any princess, Dior gave women the gift of glamour they’d lost in the miserable years of war.
On 1stDibs, find an exquisite range of vintage Christian Dior clothing, jewelry, handbags and other items.
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Prague, Czech Republic
- Return Policy
This item cannot be returned.
- SS 1998 Dior by John Galliano Jacquard GownBy John Galliano for Christian Dior, Christian DiorLocated in Prague, CZA classic bias-cut dress from the best Galliano years at Dior in a beautiful soft buttercream yellow jacquard. Size FR 42, US 10. Measurements (flat lay on one side): Armpit to ar...Category
1990s Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Spring 2006 Dior by John Galliano Lace DressBy Christian Dior, John Galliano for Christian DiorLocated in Prague, CZA stunning silk dress with a gorgeous layer of intricate lace, signature for the collection neutral color, flattering on any complexion. Size FR 38. Measurements (flat lay on one ...Category
Early 2000s Cocktail Dresses
- John Galliano Fall 1995 Corseted GownBy John GallianoLocated in Prague, CZAs seen in another fabric on the runway, this stunning sample of John Galliano Fall 1995 Corseted Gown in fabulous black! As this is a sample, this is a ...Category
1990s Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Dolce & Gabbana Spring 1997 Silk DressBy Dolce & GabbanaLocated in Prague, CZOne of the most iconic Dolce & Gabbana garments. This gorgeous dress in 100% silk satin comes in Size IT 42 fits like S/M. Measurements (flat lay on one side): Across the chest -...Category
1990s Evening Dresses and Gowns$2,360 Sale Price20% Off
- SS 2003 Christian Lacroix RTW Silk GownBy Christian LacroixLocated in Prague, CZA stunning asymmetrical y2k dream from Christian Lacroix! The slots are on both sides, the back is open and the silk is extra flowing for the marvelous effect. Size FR 42. Advise...Category
Early 2000s Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Dior by John Galliano Spring 2002 RTW Printed Silk GownBy John Galliano for Christian Dior, Christian DiorLocated in Prague, CZThe dress was seen on the runway styled as a skirt. As also seen on the actress Madeleine Madden in the Wonderland Magazine. 100% Silk chiffon. Size FR 38, will fit sizes S and M, ...Category
Early 2000s Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Moschino Cheap And Chic Red Wool Scalloped DressBy Moschino Cheap and Chic, MoschinoLocated in Los Angeles, CAMoschino cheap and chic red wool scalloped dress Party in retro cool style in this scalloped bottom dress by Moschino Cheap and Chic! Who can resist a w...Category
1980s Italian Evening Dresses and Gowns
- MOSCHINO COUTURE Cola Bustier DressBy Moschino, Moschino CoutureLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceMOSCHINO COUTURE Cola Bustier Dress Measurements taken laid flat, please double bust, waist and hips: Bust: 16.53 inches (42 cm) Waist: 14.96 inches (38 cm) Hips: 19.68 inches (50 c...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Aesthetic Day Dresses
- Gianni Versace Couture FW 2001 Feather Print Mesh Evening Gown Maxi DressBy Gianni Versace CoutureLocated in Switzerland, CHHOT HOT HOT GIANNI VERSACE COUTURE AS SHOWN ON THE RUNWAY SHOW AND AD CAMPAIGN SOLD OUT IMMEDIATELY WORN BY KYLIE & OLATZ SCHNABEL Impossible to find! A true gem! This is a very...Category
Early 2000s Italian Evening Gowns
- Eli Colaj Vintage Wine Red Italian Long Sleeve Wool Dress with Ruffle CollarLocated in Doncaster, South YorkshireAn incredible vintage womens dress from the 80s by luxury Italian fashion designer, Eli Colaj. Incredibly constructed, in a wine red wool with a sleevless si...Category
1980s Italian Cocktail Dresses
- FLORA KUNG Ruby Red Mock Wrap Silk Dress with detachable Tassel Belt - NWTBy Flora KungLocated in Boston, MAMock wrap shirt-collar dress with A-line skirt and long shirt sleeves with split cuff. Detachable cord belt with red and colored beads–can be switched to a day belt for a more casual...Category
2010s American Tunics and Wrap Dresses
- Couture orange silk beaded mandarin collar cocktail dress, c. 1960sLocated in London, GB▪ Orange silk glass beaded cocktail dress ▪ Mandarin collar ▪ Built-in bra ▪ Back zip fastening ▪ Fitted waist ▪ Made to a couture standard ▪ Unknown designer ▪ c. 1960sCategory
1960s Unknown Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Isamu Kenmochi Coffee TableBy Isamu KenmochiLocated in San Francisco, CAA coffee table by Isamu Kenmochi in bent Brazilian rosewood with curved legs. Signed with applied manufacturer's label to underside: [Tendo]. Literature: Japanese Modern, Mori, pg. 143.Category
Vintage 1960s Japanese Mid-Century Modern Coffee and Cocktail TablesMaterials
RosewoodPrice Upon Request
- Hermes Birkin 30 Orange Crocodile Bag Palladium HardwareBy HermèsLocated in Miami, FLMightychic offers a Niloticus Crocodile Hermes Birkin 30 bag featured in Orange. Fresh palladium hardware accentuates this gorgeous orange crocodile H...Category
21st Century and Contemporary French Top Handle Bags
- 21st Century Le Nuvole Sofà White S. Giobbi for Giovannetti CollezioniLocated in Casalguidi, ITSeat and backrest with wooden structure in multilayers and stell- Seat and backrest padding in polyurethane foam of different layers covered with tissue and synthetic fiber for bette...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Modern SofasMaterials
- GLASS SHELVES #1 '1976', by Shiro Kuramata for Glas ItaliaBy Glas Italia, Shiro KuramataLocated in Macherio, ITGlass Shelves #1 (1976) Shelves is shown here in the transparent glass. Bookcase characterised by the extraordinary formal cleanness and the golden proportions, entirely realized in ...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Modern ShelvesMaterials
- Vintage Solitaire Cushion Shape Old Mine Diamond Ring, French, circa 1950Located in London, GBVintage solitaire cushion shape old mine diamond ring. Set with one central cushion shape old mine diamond, M colour, VS2 clarity, with an approximate weight of 3.01 carats, in an op...Category
Vintage 1950s French Solitaire RingsMaterials
Diamond, White Gold, Yellow Gold$46,672Free Shipping
Recently ViewedView More
How John Galliano Caused Fashion Chaos around the Globe
The visionary designer epitomizes the pleasures and perils of irrepressible creative genius.
Too Soon for the Return of ’90s Fashion? As If
There's a renewed appreciation for the era's aesthetic, perhaps most notably among millennials seeking authentic, easy style.
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery