- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Moroccan Gold Silk Brocade Caftan Set
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingShips From: North Hollywood, CA
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 3 days of delivery.
About the Manufacturer
Yves Saint Laurent
French fashion designer Yves Saint Laurent pioneered “cross-design” in fashion, taking inspiration from street trends to modernize haute couture.
Saint Laurent was the first to launch a ready-to-wear label, YSL Rive Gauche Prêt-à-Porter. He was the first couturier to open boutiques for both men and women. Using traditional menswear fabrics and designs for women, Saint Laurent also literally cross-dressed, giving men and women alike chic pant suits, elegant tuxedo jackets and urban safari gear. By blurring gender-specific design, he empowered individual style while creating a scissor-sharp fashion aesthetic of sensual ease and beauty. Many of his designs are today considered timeless classics. Saint Laurent also consistently used Black models, like Mounia, Iman and Naomi Campbell, and he drew endless inspiration from different ethnicities and cultures, in no small part because of his Algerian roots.
Born to French parents in Oran, Algeria, in 1936, Saint Laurent went to Paris at age 17 to study fashion at the Chambre Syndicale de la Haute Couture. Just two years later, in 1955, his remarkable sketches were shown to Christian Dior, then the world’s reigning couturier, who hired him immediately.
Surprisingly soon thereafter, Dior publicly chose Saint Laurent as his successor, which sadly proved prescient when the fashion legend died unexpectedly, in 1957. A mere slip of a youth, the 21-year-old Saint Laurent was nevertheless up to the challenge. He shook the traditional couture clientele to its core with youthful silhouettes and styles like the A-line trapeze dress that hung with seeming effortlessness from the shoulders, the antithesis of the pinched waists and molded skirts that had been all the rage after the deprivations of World War II.
After a mandated spell in the torturous French military, Saint Laurent suffered a nervous breakdown and was dismissed by Dior in 1962. Out of the ashes rose the Age of Yves. With Pierre Bergé, his then-lover who became his lifelong business partner and friend, the designer founded Yves Saint Laurent YSL to encompass prêt-à-porter, or ready-to-wear. In 1966, they opened the first YSL Rive Gauche women’s boutique in Paris, followed soon thereafter by YSL Rive Gauche for men. Saint Laurent had given birth to a global brand.
His revolutionary Mondrian mini dress from 1965 is a core element of his fashion biography. It is a prime example of how Saint Laurent, an avid art lover and collector, looked to painters, from Goya to Picasso, Ingres to Matisse, for inspiration.
With its pure lines and hues, Mondrian’s ground-breaking 1935 color-block painting Composition C transmutes beautifully into a dress that is highly valued by collectors of contemporary fashion and widely copied commercially to this day. The design is the epitome of Saint Laurent’s aesthetic, requiring a meticulous hand piecing of each color block so that, despite the body’s curves, the visual plane is as flat as a canvas when the garment is worn. Mondrian’s purity met its match in Saint Laurent.
“I am no longer concerned with sensation and innovation, but with the perfection of my style,” Saint Laurent said four years before retiring, in 2002. After a long period of ill health, he died at his home in Paris on June 1, 2008.
- Moroccan Vintage Kaftan Gentleman Silver and Gold Caftan, circa 1970By Yves Saint LaurentLocated in North Hollywood, CAElegant Moroccan gentleman vintage caftan silver with gold trim. Moroccan vintage gentleman kaftan silver damask fabric, circa 1970. One of a kind custom Moroccan Middle Eastern gent...Category
20th Century Kaftans
- Moroccan Kaftan in Turquoise and Gold Floral Brocade Metallic LameBy Yves Saint LaurentLocated in North Hollywood, CAElegant Moroccan caftan in turquoise and gold floral lame metallic and embroidered trim, circa 1970s. This long maxi dress kaftan is embroidered and embellished entirely by hand. It’...Category
20th Century Kaftans
- Moroccan Purple Brocade Caftan Gown Maxi Dress Kaftan Size MLocated in North Hollywood, CAMoroccan vintage exotic metallic brocade caftan gown, circa 1970s. The luxurious kaftan is designed with brilliant gold metallic fabric. The front of the elegant maxi dress caftan go...Category
- Vintage Middle Eastern Ethnic Caftan, Kaftan Maxi DressLocated in North Hollywood, CAVintage Middle Eastern kaftan, red embroidered cotton striped maxi dress. This chic Gypsy Bohemian maxi dress kaftan is embroidered and embellished by hand. It is a slip on light an...Category
20th Century Kaftans
- Moroccan Vintage Kaftan Gentleman Yellow Gold Caftan Circa 1970Located in North Hollywood, CAElegant Moroccan gentleman yellow gold vintage caftan. Moroccan caftan yellow gold vintage gentleman kaftan circa 1970. One of a kind custom Moroccan Middle Eastern gentleman vintage...Category
20th Century Kaftans
- Elegant Moroccan Caftan Lime Green and Silver and Gold Metallic Floral BrocadeLocated in North Hollywood, CAElegant Moroccan caftan lime green and silver and gold lame metallic floral brocade, circa 1970s. It’s crafted in Morocco and tailored for a relaxed fit with wide sleeves This long m...Category
20th Century Caftans
You May Also Like
1990s Day Dresses
1960s Cocktail Dresses
1990s Cocktail Dresses
2010s Cocktail Dresses
2010s Day Dresses
Mid-20th Century Maxi Dress
1990s Mini Dresses
1980s Mini Dresses
1970s Aesthetic Day Dresses
1990s Aesthetic Evening Dresses
Recently ViewedView More
The Stories behind the Most Famous Luxury Fashion Logos
From Chanel to YSL, the logos of some legacy fashion houses spark instant brand recognition and have come to symbolize a kind of luxury that feels at once aspirational and attainable.
14 Iconic Luxury Handbags and the Stories behind Them
When the name of a bag is as well-known as its brand, you know it's a classic.
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Insured Global Delivery