Rare Halston Hand Painted Caftan
About the Item
- Style:1970 (Of the Period)
- Place of Origin:
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use. Small pin hole near neckline, some spotting and stains on faces. Small neck 15.5-16", wear on back button.
- Seller Location:New York, NY
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU46210060
Recognized for the understated but wholly glamorous fashions he introduced in the 1970s, and revered today for his vintage dresses, sunglasses, handbags and other enduring designs, Roy Halston Frowick defined the spare, body-conscious style of the so-called Studio 54 era. In doing so, he became a legend himself, known simply as Halston, a lean moniker that represented the visionary minimalist ideals he would inject into the world of fashion.
Born in Des Moines, Iowa — but raised in Evansville, Indiana — Halston moved to Chicago in 1952, where he worked as a window dresser by day and studied at the School of the Art Institute of Chicago at night. In the late 1950s, he moved to New York City. As the hat designer for Bergdorf Goodman, he had his first encounter with fame in 1961 when Jackie Kennedy wore a pillbox hat he designed to President John F. Kennedy’s inauguration. Less than a decade later, after hats fell out of fashion and sales plummeted, Halston launched his own ready-to-wear line and opened a Madison Avenue boutique.
One of Halston’s early successes was the sexy Ultrasuede shirtdress, an unassuming adaptation of a man’s oxford shirt introduced in 1972 that became a fashion staple for the well-dressed woman. Named for a washable synthetic fabric that evokes the feel of suede — Halston is said to have previously seen innovative designer Issey Miyake wearing the material — the Ultrasuede shirtdress was cut to complement many figures with buttons that began at the breastbone rather than at the garment’s structured neckline. In one season, 60,000 were sold. Ultrasuede became a Halston signature, and he would use the fabric in coats, luggage and other items.
But it was his seductively simple nightlife designs that made Halston an international name. Often cut on the bias or sewn with single seams, his garments were constructed to flatter the female form like no evening gowns that had come before, popularizing such styles as the halter dress. “Halston brought a spark of the divine to everything he did,” said model Pat Cleveland during an interview about the 2021 Netflix series based on his life.
And, for a while, the designer was as ubiquitous in the clubs as his designs. “For two decades, [Halston] was the king of New York nightlife,” wrote Steven Gaines in Vanity Fair. He was a regular at Studio 54, partying with the likes of Andy Warhol, Bianca Jagger, Liza Minnelli and his Halstonettes, his coterie of glamorous models and muses that included Elsa Peretti. The close friend and collaborator of Halston’s transformed diamond jewelry for Tiffany & Co. after signing a contract with the storied American luxury house in 1974.
Halston won four Coty American Fashion Critics' Awards over the course of his career. In 1973, he sold his company to Norton Simon, and in the early 1980s, it switched ownership again. By 1984, neither his name nor his company were his own. Halston continued to work, however. He collaborated with close friend and legendary choreographer Martha Graham, designing critically acclaimed costumes for her, including for her dance work Persephone in 1987. Halston died of complications from AIDS in 1990.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: New York, NY
- Return Policy
This item cannot be returned.
- Issey Miyake Graphic Black White Pleated DressBy Issey MiyakeLocated in New York, NYIssey Miyake Graphic Black White Dress in signature pleats. The various patterns look like a night time cityscape. Pullover style with open slash collar with long, lean silhouette. S...Category
1990s Japanese Day Dresses
- Paul Louis Orrier Placed Print Chiffon Scarf Point GownBy Paul-Louis OrrierLocated in New York, NYElegant Paul Louis Orrier Placed Print Chiffon Scarf Point Gown from the 1970's, France. One piece silk chiffon gown with floral print on a Moorish g...Category
1970s French Maxi Dress
- Dramatic Silk Satin Embroidered Dressing GownLocated in New York, NYDramatic Retro Silk Satin Embroidered Dressing Gown from the 1940's. Shirtwaist style in slinky black silk satin with Art Deco style soutache embroidery...Category
1940s American Evening Gowns
- Geoffrey Beene Shift with Sheer Lame UnderlayBy Geoffrey BeeneLocated in New York, NYElegant Geoffrey Beene Shift with Sheer Lame Underlay. Heavy silk crepe edged in antique silver lame ribbon throughout. The front panel is doubled with a sheer silver lame wood grain motif underneath. The silk crepe panel opens slightly (on left side) when one moves to reveal sheer lame below, Chic and understated elegance in a simple T...Category
1980s American Cocktail Dresses
- John Anthony Sexy Matte Jersey Wrap DressBy John AnthonyLocated in New York, NYJohn Anthony Sexy Matte Jersey Wrap Dress. Great classic wrap style with one hook closure with draped cascade knot at hip. Dress has an interior gros...Category
1980s Cocktail Dresses
- Alexander Wang Black Draped Cold Shoulder Pleated DressBy Alexander WangLocated in Thousand Oaks, CAAlexander Wang Black Draped Cold Shoulder Dress. Draped black dress by Alexander Wang with open shoulders and tie neck. Elasticized waist to show o...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Sara Battaglia Red Velvet High Low DressBy Sara BattagliaLocated in Thousand Oaks, CASara Battaglia Red Velvet High Low Dress in Size 40. This amazing holiday dress is in mint condition, with a low neck and high skirt. It is balanced ou...Category
2010s Evening DressesFree Shipping
- Yohji Yamamoto Black Dress Size 2By Yohji YamamotoLocated in Thousand Oaks, CAPristine Yohji Yamamoto Black Dress with two different wearing / styling options. Tags still attached, 100% Rayon and zipper detail for the chest to wear two different ways. Ankle ...Category
2010s Japanese Cocktail DressesFree Shipping
- Sonia Rykiel Black and Gold Long Sleeve Sequin Cocktail Dress Size 8/10By Sonia RykielLocated in Thousand Oaks, CALong sleeve sequin cocktail dress by Sonia Rykiel with gold and black color blocked sequins and a fitted silhouette and center slit...Category
2010s Evening Dresses and Gowns
- Etro Velvet Red Floral and Black Floral GownBy EtroLocated in Thousand Oaks, CAThis Etro full length gown is as comfortable as it is stunning. A deep V neckline and a slim silhouette makes the dress flattering on all frames. The material is floral and paisley v...Category
2010s Italian Evening Gowns
- X-Large Bubble Chandelier in Natural Cotton and Satin Brass by PelleBy Jean and Oliver PelleLocated in Brooklyn, NYEthereal and iconic, the bubble chandelier is a modern re-interpretation of the crystal chandelier. Its luminous constellation of delicate glass globes adds beauty and depth to any i...Category
21st Century and Contemporary American Chandeliers and PendantsMaterials
- Seletti Sofa “Comfy”, Charcoal GreyBy SelettiLocated in Doral, FLFrom its very first year in 1964, Seletti in Cicognara, Mantova, has followed its principle of professionality service and constant research to strive for betterness innovation and o...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Modern SofasMaterials
Cotton, Polyester, Wood
- HERMES Kelly 35 Crocodile Shiny Black BagBy HermèsLocated in Paris, FRMAGNIFICENT Kelly 35 bag from the House of HERMES in shiny black porosus crocodile. The jewelry is gold plated. On each tab, inscription "HERMES Paris". It...Category
1940s French Top Handle Bags
- 1925s Art Deco 2 Carat Emeralds 2.20 Carat Diamonds Platinum RingLocated in Poitiers, FRRing in platinum. Sublime art deco ring, its entire platinum setting is closed set on its top with a Colombian emerald- cut emerald and an antique- cut diamond. This duo of gems is surmounted on either side by an antique brilliant- cut diamond. The basket is crossed by finely made arabesques as well as the start of the ring which is also set on either side with an antique brilliant- cut diamond. Weight of the main diamond: approximately 2 carats. Estimated quality: I / J VVS. Weight of the emerald: about 2 carats. Total weight of other diamonds: approximately 0.20 carat. Height: 12.5 mm, width: 16.5 mm, thickness: approximately 5.5 mm, width of the ring at the base: 2 mm. Total weight of the jewel: approximately 6.3 g. US Size : 6,5 ; Free resize, please contact us. Antique jewel - Work from the 1925s, Art Deco ring. Our opinion: A high quality setting made with perfection and 2 important and magnificent...Category
Vintage 1920s French Art Deco Engagement RingsMaterials
Diamond, White Diamond, Emerald, Platinum
- Optimism Painting I - acrylic on woodBy Stuart MöllerLocated in London, GBOptimism Painting I - acrylic & mixed media on wood, 2019 16 x 16" inches / 41 x 41 cm mint condition - original and unique piece. Stuart Möller, German and born in Kabul Afghanis...Category
2010s Abstract Abstract PaintingsMaterials
Recently ViewedView All
Behind the 1970s and ’80s Glam of ‘Halston’ with the Hit Show’s Costume Designer
Jeriana San Juan explains how she undertook the intimidating project of designing costumes for the new Netflix series about the New York fashion legend. (Hint: She found vintage Halston on 1stDibs!)
The Best Ways to Dress for Your Astrological Sign
Makeup and astrology expert Linda Mason dispenses fashion advice for every zodiac sign. Does your wardrobe match your horoscope?
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery