- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
F/W 1995 Christian Dior by Gianfranco Ferré Runway Pink Satin Mohair Jacket
About the Item
- Dimensions:Marked Size: FR38 (EU)Bust: 36 in (91.44 cm)Waist: 30 in (76.2 cm)
- Place of Origin:
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use. Light wear from age and use throughout, including minor fading to shoulders - not noticable when worn.
- Seller Location:Philadelphia, PA
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU2388217152212
When Christian Dior launched his couture house, in 1946, he wanted nothing less than to make “an elegant woman more beautiful and a beautiful woman more elegant.” He succeeded, and in doing so the visionary designer altered the landscape of 20th century fashion.
Dior was born in Granville, on the Normandy coast, in 1905. His prosperous haute bourgeois parents wanted him to become a diplomat despite his interest in art and architecture. However, they agreed to bankroll an art gallery, which Dior opened in 1928 in Paris with a friend.
This was the start of Dior’s rise in the city’s creative milieu, where he befriended Pablo Picasso and Jean Cocteau. After seven years as an art dealer, Dior retrained as a fashion illustrator, eventually landing a job as a fashion designer for Robert Piguet, and in 1941, following a year of military service, he joined the house of Lucien Lelong. Just five years later, with the backing of industrialist Marcel Boussac, the ascendant Dior established his own fashion house, at 30 avenue Montaigne in Paris.
Just two years after the end of World War II, the fashion crowd and the moribund haute couture industry were yearning, comme tout Paris, for security and prosperity, desperate to discard the drab, sexless, utilitarian garb imposed by wartime deprivation. They needed to dream anew.
And Dior delivered: He designed a collection for a bright, optimistic future. “It’s quite a revolution, dear Christian!” exclaimed Carmel Snow, the prescient American editor-in-chief of Harper’s Bazaar, famously proclaiming, “Your dresses have such a new look.” The press ran with the description, christening Dior’s debut Spring/Summer haute couture collection the New Look. “God help those who bought before they saw Dior,” said Snow. “This changes everything.”
Dior’s collection definitively declared that opulence, luxury and femininity were in. His skirts could have 40-meter-circumference hems, and outfits could weigh up to 60 pounds. They were cut and shaped like architecture, on strong foundations that molded women and “freed them from nature,” Dior said. Rather than rationing, his ladies wanted reams of fabric and 19-inch waists enforced by wire corsets, and the fashion world concurred. The debut got a standing ovation.
In the subsequent decade, Paris ruled as the undisputed fashion capital of the world, and Christian Dior reigned as its king. With the luxuriously full skirts of his New Look, suits and his drop-dead gorgeous evening dresses and ball gowns worthy of any princess, Dior gave women the gift of glamour they’d lost in the miserable years of war.
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Philadelphia, PA
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 1 day of delivery.
- Early 1990s Christian Dior by Gianfranco Ferré Purple Silk Satin JacketBy Gianfranco Ferré for Christian Dior, Christian DiorLocated in Philadelphia, PATheRealList presents: a beautiful deep purple silk satin Christian Dior Boutique jacket, designed by Gianfranco Ferré. From the early 1990s, this entirely silk satin jacket features ...Category
1990s French Jackets
- F/W 1993 Christian Dior by Gianfranco Ferré Runway Black Bead Sequin Skirt SuitBy Gianfranco Ferré for Christian Dior, Christian DiorLocated in Philadelphia, PATheRealList presents: a stunning beaded black wool Christian Dior Boutique skirt suit, designed by Gianfranco Ferré. This skirt suit debuted on the Fall/Winter 1993 runway as a set a...Category
1990s French Skirt Suits
- F/W 1991 Christian Dior by Gianfranco Ferré Gambler Earring Skirt SuitBy Gianfranco Ferré for Christian Dior, Christian DiorLocated in Philadelphia, PATheRealList presents: a Las Vegas chic inspired Christian Dior Boutique skirt suit, designed by Gianfranco Ferré. From the Fall/Winter 1991 collection, this look debuted as look numb...Category
1990s French Blazers
- 1990s Christian Dior by Gianfranco Ferré Black Linen Sleeveless Button DressBy Gianfranco Ferré for Christian Dior, Christian DiorLocated in Philadelphia, PATheRealList presents: a black sleeveless linen Christian Dior Boutique dress, designed by Gianfranco Ferré. From the early 1990s, this classically beautiful dress features a wide sco...Category
1990s French Cocktail Dresses
- 1980s Christian Dior by Gianfranco Ferré Blue Floral Sequin Knit Sweater TopBy Gianfranco Ferré for Christian Dior, Christian DiorLocated in Philadelphia, PATheRealList presents: a blue floral sequin Christian Dior Boutique sweater top, designed by Gianfranco Ferré. From the 1980s, this rare knit top is covered in sequins with a floral d...Category
1980s French Blouses and Tops
- S/S 1995 Christian Dior by Gianfranco Ferré Sequin Black White Bodysuit SkirtBy Gianfranco Ferré for Christian Dior, Christian DiorLocated in Philadelphia, PATheRealList presents: an intricate Christian Dior Boutique body suit skirt set, designed by Gianfranco Ferré. Designed for the Spring/Summer 1995 collection, this demi-couture set is...Category
1990s French Skirt Suits
- Christian Dior by Marc Bohan Haute Couture 1982 Yellow Silk Cocktail DressBy Marc Bohan, Christian DiorLocated in Beverly Hills, CADramatic Christian Dior by Marc Bohan haute Couture silk moiré in light yellow and black velvet bow one shoulder dress with buble hem . Beautiful Museum quality dress. Size: 2/4 SMA...Category
1980s French Ball Gowns
- 1990s Valentino Garavani Rhinestone Black Beaded Sheer Accordion Pleat GownBy Valentino, Valentino GaravaniLocated in Philadelphia, PATheRealList presents: an elegant Valentino Garavani beaded gown from the 1990s. The long sleeve top of the gown is constructed in sheer mesh with a beaded overlay at the bust line an...Category
1990s Italian Maxi Dresses
- Sex and The City 2, Iconic John Galliano for Christian Dior Newsprint DressBy Christian Dior, John Galliano for Christian DiorLocated in New York, NYBeing offered is the iconic John Galliano for Christian Dior Autumn/Winter 2000-2001 Newsprint Dress worn by Sarah Jessica Parker and lent by Vintage Luxury N.Y. for Sex and the Cit...Category
Early 2000s French Cocktail Dresses
- 1960s Christian Dior Demi Couture Ivory Organza Dress & JacketBy Christian DiorLocated in London, GBSensational ivory silk organza dress and sleeveless jacket set with sculptural 3D organza roses around the hems. This vintage 1960s piece by Christian Dior is couture made and would ...Category
1960s British Wedding Dresses
- 1981 Chanel Haute Couture Green and Brown Tweed 4 Piece Skirt SuitBy ChanelLocated in Toronto, OntarioShow stopping 1981 green and brown Chanel Couture six piece ensemble including a jacket, blouse, skirt, scarf, brooch and belt. Mandarin collar jacket with green, brown and cream pas...Category
1980s French Skirt Suits
- Gianfranco Ferré Rare Oversized Red Leather JacketBy Gianfranco Ferré, Gianfranco Ferré for Christian DiorLocated in Milano, ITFlashy jacket in fine leather designed by Gianfranco Ferrè for Dior in the 90s, made in Italy. ORIGINAL LABEL. The jacket is entirely made of fine red leather externally, with a hood...Category
1990s French Mantle Coats
- Vintage 1990 Christian Dior Black White Polka-Dot Silk Bustier Plunge Mini DressBy Gianfranco Ferré for Christian Dior, Christian DiorLocated in Beverly Hills, CAA stunning Christian Dior numbered Paris boutique polka-dot stretch hourglass dress dating back to the spring-summer 1990 collection. Christian Dior designed under his own name for o...Category
1990s French Aesthetic Evening Dresses
- Christian Dior Boutique Numbered Suit Large Crystal Buttons, 1980sBy Gianfranco Ferré for Christian Dior, Christian DiorLocated in Austin, TXChristian Dior Boutique grey suit with large crystal buttons. Condition: very good, one crystal button has wear underneath, see photos. Suit has not been worn. Size 42 / US 8 ( ma...Category
1980s French Trouser Pant Suits
- A Christian Dior/Gianfranco Ferré Couture Pink Chiffon Dress Circa 1990By Gianfranco Ferré for Christian Dior, Christian DiorLocated in Toulon, FRCirca 1989 - 1990 France Cocktail dress in raspberry pink silk muslin from Dior-Gianfranco Ferré. Bodice inspired by 1940's Fashion, fully corseted and lined with matching chiffon ...Category
1990s French Day Dresses$1,246Free Shipping
- Christian Dior FW 2019 Black and Green Mohair JacketBy Christian DiorLocated in Geneva, CHThis pre-owned mohair fringed jacket is part of the Fall-Winter Ready to Wear 2019 Christian Dior Collection. Collection: Fall-Winter Ready to Wear 2019 Fabric: 60% mohair, 34% poly...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Jackets$1,424 Sale Price20% Off
- Vintage Diorling Christian Dior Ultra Suede JacketBy Christian DiorLocated in London, GBA great jacket for fall from Christian Dior , Diorling. The jacket has a front button opening with one flap pocket and one diagonal pocket on each side. It is in a pretty caramel co...Category
1960s British Jackets
Recently ViewedView More
Too Soon for the Return of ’90s Fashion? As If
There's a renewed appreciation for the era's aesthetic, perhaps most notably among millennials seeking authentic, easy style.
14 Iconic Luxury Handbags and the Stories behind Them
When the name of a bag is as well-known as its brand, you know it's a classic.
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery