Moschino Cheap Chic Black Blazer
About the Item
- Dimensions:Marked Size: Size 8 (US)Shoulder to Hem: 24 in (60.96 cm)
- Style:1980s (Of the Period)
- Place of Origin:
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use.
- Seller Location:Los Angeles, CA
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU2262212624792
The Moschino story begins in the early 1980s, when Franco Moschino (1950–94), a freelance magazine illustrator and Gianni Versace collaborator, founded a label in Italy whose ethos was all about having fun.
Moschino initially pursued a degree in painting at Milan Academy of Fine Arts during the late 1960s, turning to freelance illustration to help pay his way through school. He found inspiration in Pop art, Dadaism and bold graphics. During the 1970s, he began to work for Gianni Versace’s now-legendary house as a sketcher and freelanced as a clothing designer with other fashion labels. In 1983, encouraged by Versace, he launched his own extravagant and excessive couture collection.
Moschino’s expertly tailored, vibrant designs for casual wear and more, each adorned with loud, playful details, spoofed the chic high fashion of the day, and his close relationship with fine art — as well as his eye for innovation — welcomed comparisons to Elsa Schiaparelli over the years. The label’s work essentially mocked the industry even as its hand fed Moschino, with the founder emblazoning shirts with slogans such as “Good taste doesn’t exist” or embroidering jackets with the phrase “Waist of money,” while the theatrical shows were positioned with an undercurrent of critique. Today, the Metropolitan Museum of Art holds two vintage Moschino handbags in its collection: one shaped like a milk carton and the other an iron.
“Under all the surface witticisms, [Moschino] had a serious knack for running class pieces through a wringer of irony or Surrealism,” observed Vogue. “Chanel-isms were his favorite trope, though he also poked fun at Jean Paul Gaultier’s lingerie dressing and put out pasta bags in a parody of the Prada accessories craze.”
Accessories, jeans and the first men’s collection were presented at the Regal Palace in Milan in 1985, with his Moschino Jeans womenswear collection following in 1986. Then Moschino released Moschino for Women, its first fragrance, the next year in Europe. In 1988, long before brands had considered the concept of a spin-off, Moschino bowed its cheeky diffusion line for men and women, Moschino Cheap & Chic, during the shows in Milan. The label thrived, adding its first stores in Italy and campaigning for eco-friendly fur. Its retrospective-slash-fashion-show “X Years of Kaos” in the early 1990s benefited a children’s AIDS organization.
After Moschino’s untimely death at the age of 44 from AIDS complications, Rossella Jardini, his longtime friend and colleague, took the reins. She carried the torch for nearly 20 years, adding eyewear, watches and jewelry. American designer Jeremy Scott was named creative director in 2013.
Scott, who grew up on a farm and once unveiled a collection of evening dresses charred with burn marks, imbues all his work with a message of inclusion, be it his Fast Food collection in 2014 (hot dog dress included) or Moschino Barbie. “I don’t care if the critics don’t like me,” Scott told Vogue. “I want to be the people’s designer, like Diana was the people’s princess.”
Find vintage Moschino clothing on 1stDibs.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Los Angeles, CA
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 1 day of delivery.
- Moschino Cheap Chic Hot Pepper Cat BlazerBy Moschino, Moschino Cheap and ChicLocated in Los Angeles, CAMoschino cheap chic hot pepper cat blazer The design on this jacket is super fun with hot papers, cats, lucky horse shoes and more! Be retro cool wearing this vintage piece and be t...Category
1990s Italian Blazers
- Moschino Cheap and Chic Green Red Plaid Wool JacketBy Moschino, Moschino Cheap and ChicLocated in Los Angeles, CAMoschino cheap chic green red plaid wool jacket An extraordinary find is new w/ tags vintage Moschino ! As wearable today as when it was made - pai...Category
1980s Italian Blazers
- Moschino Plaid Wool Blazer Velvet TrimBy Moschino, Moschino Cheap and ChicLocated in Los Angeles, CAMoschino plaid wool blazer velvet trim This vintage blazer by Moschino Cheap and Chic is perfect for Fall! The sleeves have been shortened / altered an...Category
1990s Italian Vests
- Moschino Cheap & Chic Wool Pink Pig VestBy Moschino, Moschino Cheap and ChicLocated in Los Angeles, CAMoschino cheap & chic wool pink pig vest The men's vest by Moschino Cheap and Chic is retro cool with a huge sense of humor! Great for special occasion dress...Category
Early 2000s Italian Vests
- Moschino Cheap Chic Black Wool Velvet Trim BlazerBy Moschino, Moschino Cheap and ChicLocated in Los Angeles, CAMoschino cheap chic black wool blazer The perfect holiday jacket is here in a nice wool with red lining and black velvet trim and buttons. Pair with skinny pants and boots for a gre...Category
1990s Italian Blazers
- F/W 2006 Christian Dior John Galliano Bronze Leather Pirate Cut-Out JacketBy Christian Dior, John Galliano for Christian DiorLocated in Yukon, OK**THANK YOU FOR SHOPPING WITH MES DEUX FILLES** DESIGNER: F/W 2006 Christian Dior by John Galliano CONDITION: Good (no flaws on the outside) label has light discoloration from an at...Category
Early 2000s French Jackets
- Unworn F/W 1999 Dolce & Gabbana Runway Sheer Black Silk & Lace Long Cape DressBy Dolce & GabbanaLocated in Yukon, OK**THANK YOU FOR SHOPPING WITH MES DEUX FILLES** DESIGNER: F/W 1999 Dolce & Gabbana Runway CONDITION: Pristine- Unworn! FABRIC: Silk COUNTRY MADE: Italy SIZE: 42- but as it ties shut...Category
1990s Italian Capes
- 1980's Sonia Rykiel France Evening Wear Lightweight Silk Velvet Lame DusterBy Sonya RykielLocated in Tustin, CAExquisite 1980's evening wear coat, jacket, blazer or duster is lightweight, vented and easy to wear for dining, parties and dancing, with an animal patterned, soft silk velvet and s...Category
1980s French Single-Breasted Jackets
- Alexander McQueen Navy BlazerBy Alexander McQueenLocated in Thousand Oaks, CANavy structured "Airplane" blazer by Alexander McQueen with flap pockets and single button closure. Size 40. New with original tags attached.Category
21st Century and Contemporary Blazers
- Lanvin Vintage Gold Lame and Black Velvet JacketBy Lanvin ParisLocated in Thousand Oaks, CAVintage Lanvin Gold Lame and Black Velvet Jacket . Small shoulder form, but with relaxed fit similar to a cardigan. Gold Buttons, Black Velvet collar, Waist length. Size 44 - Fits ...Category
21st Century and Contemporary French Bolero Jackets1 bidNo Reserve
- Bottega Veneta Wool Double-Breasted Black and White BlazerBy Bottega VenetaLocated in Thousand Oaks, CABeautiful, classic Bottega Veneta Double-Breasted Blazer. Black/ Charcoal with white striping. Deep V Neck - 6 Buttons Hits Mid-Thigh Size 40 Made in Italy Excellent Condition ...Category
2010s Italian Double-Breasted Jackets
Recently ViewedView All
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery