Moschino Cheap Chic Men's Cow Vest
About the Item
The Moschino story begins in the early 1980s, when Franco Moschino (1950–94), a freelance magazine illustrator and Gianni Versace collaborator, founded a label in Italy whose ethos was all about having fun.
Moschino initially pursued a degree in painting at Milan Academy of Fine Arts during the late 1960s, turning to freelance illustration to help pay his way through school. He found inspiration in Pop art, Dadaism and bold graphics. During the 1970s, he began to work for Gianni Versace’s now-legendary house as a sketcher and freelanced as a clothing designer with other fashion labels. In 1983, encouraged by Versace, he launched his own extravagant and excessive couture collection.
Moschino’s expertly tailored, vibrant designs for casual wear and more, each adorned with loud, playful details, spoofed the chic high fashion of the day, and his close relationship with fine art — as well as his eye for innovation — welcomed comparisons to Elsa Schiaparelli over the years. The label’s work essentially mocked the industry even as its hand fed Moschino, with the founder emblazoning shirts with slogans such as “Good taste doesn’t exist” or embroidering jackets with the phrase “Waist of money,” while the theatrical shows were positioned with an undercurrent of critique. Today, the Metropolitan Museum of Art holds two vintage Moschino handbags in its collection: one shaped like a milk carton and the other an iron.
“Under all the surface witticisms, [Moschino] had a serious knack for running class pieces through a wringer of irony or Surrealism,” observed Vogue. “Chanel-isms were his favorite trope, though he also poked fun at Jean Paul Gaultier’s lingerie dressing and put out pasta bags in a parody of the Prada accessories craze.”
Accessories, jeans and the first men’s collection were presented at the Regal Palace in Milan in 1985, with his Moschino Jeans womenswear collection following in 1986. Then Moschino released Moschino for Women, its first fragrance, the next year in Europe. In 1988, long before brands had considered the concept of a spin-off, Moschino bowed its cheeky diffusion line for men and women, Moschino Cheap & Chic, during the shows in Milan. The label thrived, adding its first stores in Italy and campaigning for eco-friendly fur. Its retrospective-slash-fashion-show “X Years of Kaos” in the early 1990s benefited a children’s AIDS organization.
After Moschino’s untimely death at the age of 44 from AIDS complications, Rossella Jardini, his longtime friend and colleague, took the reins. She carried the torch for nearly 20 years, adding eyewear, watches and jewelry. American designer Jeremy Scott was named creative director in 2013.
Scott, who grew up on a farm and once unveiled a collection of evening dresses charred with burn marks, imbues all his work with a message of inclusion, be it his Fast Food collection in 2014 (hot dog dress included) or Moschino Barbie. “I don’t care if the critics don’t like me,” Scott told Vogue. “I want to be the people’s designer, like Diana was the people’s princess.”
Find vintage Moschino clothing on 1stDibs.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Los Angeles, CA
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 1 day of delivery.
- Moschino Cheap Chic Hot Pepper Cat BlazerBy Moschino, Moschino Cheap and ChicLocated in Los Angeles, CAMoschino cheap chic hot pepper cat blazer The design on this jacket is super fun with hot papers, cats, lucky horse shoes and more! Be retro cool wearing this vintage piece and be t...Category
1990s Italian Blazers
- Moschino Cheap & Chic Wool Pink Pig VestBy Moschino, Moschino Cheap and ChicLocated in Los Angeles, CAMoschino cheap & chic wool pink pig vest The men's vest by Moschino Cheap and Chic is retro cool with a huge sense of humor! Great for special occasion dress...Category
Early 2000s Italian Vests
- Moschino Couture Black Wool Tuxedo Jacket HeartsBy Moschino, Moschino CoutureLocated in Los Angeles, CAMoschino couture black wool tuxedo jacket hearts Unique vintage tuxedo jacket from Moschino Couture line! Perfect for the evening and holiday events th...Category
1990s Italian Tuxedo Jackets
- Moschino Cheap Chic Black White Wool Heart JacketBy Moschino, Moschino Cheap and ChicLocated in Los Angeles, CAMoschino cheap chic black white wool heart jacket This vintage jacket is iconic Moschino ! Cute Cheap and Chic on the collar and covered buttons. Cute red heart patch! Pair with ...Category
1980s Italian Jackets
- Moschino Cheap Chic Music Note Love BlazerBy Moschino, Moschino Cheap and ChicLocated in Los Angeles, CAMoschino cheap chic music note love blazer Vintage Moschino at its best with this black and ivory blazer with music nite and question marks and X and O a...Category
1990s Italian Blazers
- Moschino Jeans Patchwork Print BlazerBy Moschino, Moschino JeansLocated in Los Angeles, CAMoschino jeans patchwork print blazer Summer dressing is easy wearing unique vintage pieces like this patchwork print stretch cotton blazer! Pair with...Category
Early 2000s Italian Blazers
- Comme des Garcons Cropped Navy JacketBy Comme des GarçonsLocated in Oakland, CADeep navy blue Comme des Garcons cropped jacket. Basket weave texture with sheen to fabric. Cropped to hit at waist. Button closure. Front chest pockets. Adjustable side tab clo...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Japanese Cropped Jackets
- Gucci Black Silk Scoop Neck Blazer JacketBy GucciLocated in Oakland, CAThis is a vintage Gucci black silk jacket with gold-tone logo buttons. Made in Italy. From the store tags I believe this was made in 2005 though I'm not c...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Jackets
- Moschino Couture Intricately Woven & Beaded Tassel JacketBy MoschinoLocated in Oakland, CAVintage Moschino Couture jacket. Outstanding details throughout. Handwoven and hand beaded. Basket weave of different textures and colors. Wooden beaded trim and net-like overlay on ...Category
Late 20th Century Italian Single-Breasted Jackets
- Kenzo Black Embellished Beaded JacketBy KenzoLocated in Oakland, CABlack Kenzo fitted jacket. Mixed media embroidered and beaded hearts, floral motif and front swirl. Embellishments include sliver and clear beads, flat silver discs, Metallic emb...Category
21st Century and Contemporary French Jackets
- Vintage Emilio Pucci Multicolor Floral Velvet Blazer JacketBy Emilio PucciLocated in Oakland, CAVintage Emilio Pucci cotton velvet jacket, I believe late 1960s or early 1970s era, with gorgeous vibrant hues of yellow, blue, orange, purple and white. Fold over collar with notch ...Category
1960s Italian Single-Breasted Jackets
- Y's Yohji Yamamoto Black Bomber JacketBy Yohji Yamamoto Y's, Yohji YamamotoLocated in Oakland, CAY's by Yohji Yamamoto classic cut black bomber jacket. Mock neck with button closure. Sturdy two way zipper. Button closure at waist. Slanted s...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Japanese Jackets
Recently ViewedView All
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery