Yves Saint Laurent jacket in golden leather
About the Item
- Dimensions:Length: 50 in (127 cm)Marked Size: 40 (EU)
- Style:1990 (Of the Period)
- Place of Origin:
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use.
- Seller Location:SAINT-OUEN-SUR-SEINE, FR
- Reference Number:Seller: FV1721stDibs: LU3536219429832
Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche
Visionary French fashion designer Yves Saint Laurent was the first to launch a ready-to-wear label, YSL Rive Gauche Prêt-à-Porter. The inaugural Rive Gauche boutique — a modern shop in Paris’s bustling, bohemian Left Bank district — offered stylish garments and accessories that were intended to be affordable for a younger generation of fashion enthusiasts. The store featured Mies van der Rohe chairs and played host to actor Catherine Deneuve during its grand opening.
Saint Laurent pioneered “cross-design” in fashion, taking inspiration from street trends to modernize haute couture. He was the first couturier to open boutiques for both men and women. Using traditional menswear fabrics and designs for women, he also literally cross-dressed, giving men and women alike chic pant suits, elegant tuxedo jackets and urban safari gear. By blurring gender-specific design, he empowered individual style while creating a scissor-sharp fashion aesthetic of sensual ease and beauty. Many of his designs are today considered timeless classics. Saint Laurent also consistently used Black models, like Mounia, Iman and Naomi Campbell, and he drew endless inspiration from different ethnicities and cultures, in no small part because of his Algerian roots.
Born to French parents in Oran, Algeria, in 1936, Saint Laurent went to Paris at age 17 to study fashion at the Chambre Syndicale de la Haute Couture. Just two years later, in 1955, his remarkable sketches were shown to Christian Dior, then the world’s reigning couturier, who hired him immediately.
Surprisingly soon thereafter, Dior publicly chose Saint Laurent as his successor, which sadly proved prescient when the fashion legend died unexpectedly, in 1957. A mere slip of a youth, the 21-year-old Saint Laurent was nevertheless up to the challenge. He shook the traditional couture clientele to its core with youthful silhouettes and styles like the A-line trapeze dress that hung with seeming effortlessness from the shoulders, the antithesis of the pinched waists and molded skirts that had been all the rage after the deprivations of World War II.
After a mandated spell in the torturous French military, Saint Laurent suffered a nervous breakdown and was dismissed by Dior in 1962. Out of the ashes rose the Age of Yves. With Pierre Bergé, his then-lover who became his lifelong business partner and friend, the designer founded Yves Saint Laurent YSL to encompass prêt-à-porter, or ready-to-wear. In 1966, they opened the first YSL Rive Gauche women’s boutique in Paris — Rive Gauche is French for “left bank” — followed soon thereafter by YSL Rive Gauche for men. Ready-to-wear materialized during a period of dynamic transformation and experimentation and came to dominate the Paris fashion scene. Saint Laurent had given birth to a global brand.
His revolutionary Mondrian mini dress from 1965 is a core element of his fashion biography. It is a prime example of how Saint Laurent, an avid art lover and collector, looked to painters, from Goya to Picasso, Ingres to Matisse, for inspiration.
With its pure lines and hues, Mondrian’s ground-breaking 1935 color-block painting Composition C transmutes beautifully into a dress that is highly valued by collectors of contemporary fashion and widely copied commercially to this day. The design is the epitome of Saint Laurent’s aesthetic, requiring a meticulous hand piecing of each color block so that, despite the body’s curves, the visual plane is as flat as a canvas when the garment is worn. Mondrian’s purity met its match in Saint Laurent.
“I am no longer concerned with sensation and innovation, but with the perfection of my style,” Saint Laurent said four years before retiring, in 2002. After a long period of ill health, he died at his home in Paris on June 1, 2008.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: SAINT-OUEN-SUR-SEINE, France
- Return PolicyThis item cannot be returned.
- Chanel Tweed Jacket in Blue and GreenBy Karl Lagerfeld for Chanel, ChanelLocated in SAINT-OUEN-SUR-SEINE, FRChanel - (Made in France) Tweed jacket in blue, green. Size 38FR. Additional information: Dimensions: Shoulder width: 38 cm, Chest: 44 cm, Sleeve length: 62 cm, Length: 87 cm Condi...Category
2010s French Jackets
- Elie Saab Short Jacket in Lace and Black Fox FurBy Elie SaabLocated in SAINT-OUEN-SUR-SEINE, FRElie Saab - (Made in Italy) Short jacket in lace and black fox fur. Size 38FR. Fall-Winter 2016/2017 collection. Additional information: Dimensions: Shoulder width: 40 cm, Sleeve l...Category
2010s Italian Jackets
- Chanel Wool Tweed Jacket with Silk LiningBy Karl Lagerfeld for Chanel, ChanelLocated in SAINT-OUEN-SUR-SEINE, FRChanel - (Made in France) Wool tweed jacket with silk lining. Size 42FR. Spring-Summer 2003 collection Additional information: Dimensions: Shoulder width: 40 cm, Chest: 44 cm, Slee...Category
Early 2000s French Jackets
- Dior Jacket in Virgin Wool and Silk LiningBy Christian Dior, John Galliano for Christian DiorLocated in SAINT-OUEN-SUR-SEINE, FRDior - (Made in France) Jacket in virgin wool and silk lining. Size 40FR. Collection 2005. Additional information: Dimensions: Shoulder width: 40 cm, Chest: 45 cm, Sleeve length: 5...Category
Early 2000s French Jackets
- Yves Saint Laurent Red Cotton Short JacketBy Yves Saint LaurentLocated in SAINT-OUEN-SUR-SEINE, FRYves Saint Laurent -(Made in France) Red cotton short jacket. Size 36FR. Additional information: Dimensions: Shoulder width: 45 cm, Chest: 52 cm, Waist: 36 cm, Sleeve length: 53 cm...Category
1990s French Jackets
- Mugler Jeans Jacket with StripesBy Thierry MuglerLocated in SAINT-OUEN-SUR-SEINE, FRMugler -Jeans jacket with stripes. No size label, it fits a 38FR. Additional information: Dimensions: Shoulder width: 41 cm, Chest: 45 cm, Sleeve length: 61 cm, Length: 65 cm Condi...Category
- Gucci S/S 2008 black leather short sleeve gold zip cropped leather dress jacketBy GucciLocated in Paris, FRGucci Spring Summer 2008 cropped leather jacket with short sleeves in black Gold hardware with Gucci engraved popper buttons and buckles Oversized braided buttons Closes via a zip a...Category
Early 2000s Italian Jackets
- 5 x Antique Spanish Matador Costume VestsLocated in Amsterdam, NLThese are 5 unique antique handmade Spanish toreador vests for costumes, Traje de Luces We offer more exclusive vintage items, view our frontstore. De...Category
20th Century Spanish Coats and Outerwear
- Rosie Assoulin Sun yellow Blazer, Size 6By Rosie AssoulinLocated in Beverly Hills, CASlim, "baby" fit blazer made from drapey viscose with single button closure in the center. Made in NYC in a beautifully bright sun yellow color. Size 6.Category
21st Century and Contemporary American Blazers
- Hiroko Koshino Japan Black Design Jacket 1980Located in Amsterdam, NLVintage jacket from Japanese designer "Hiroko Koshino" with long front (88cm/34.64 inch) and attached inside vest, inside button with a short back (65c...Category
20th Century Unknown Blazers
- 1980's Escada Couture Gold Sequins JacketBy EscadaLocated in Amsterdam, NLRare Escada Couture gold/silver /black/bronze fully sequins ladies evening/party jacket. We offer more exclusive items, view our frontstore. Details: ...Category
20th Century German Dinner Jackets
- Pierre Balmain Paris red rose light wool jacketBy Pierre BalmainLocated in Amsterdam, NLThis Balmain jacket is made from wool has 3 closing buttons and 2 pockets. Size is mentioned French 44 but fits as US 10 or EU 40 See section measurements. Please note that vintage ...Category
20th Century French Vests