- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche Vintage Wool Boyfriend Blazer Jacket
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingShips From: Sparks, NV
- Return Policy
This item cannot be returned.
About the Designer
Yves Saint Laurent
French fashion designer Yves Saint Laurent pioneered “cross-design” in fashion, taking inspiration from street trends to modernize haute couture.
Saint Laurent was the first to launch a ready-to-wear label, YSL Rive Gauche Prêt-à-Porter. He was the first couturier to open boutiques for both men and women. Using traditional menswear fabrics and designs for women, Saint Laurent also literally cross-dressed, giving men and women alike chic pant suits, elegant tuxedo jackets and urban safari gear. By blurring gender-specific design, he empowered individual style while creating a scissor-sharp fashion aesthetic of sensual ease and beauty. Many of his designs are today considered timeless classics. Saint Laurent also consistently used Black models, like Mounia, Iman and Naomi Campbell, and he drew endless inspiration from different ethnicities and cultures, in no small part because of his Algerian roots.
Born to French parents in Oran, Algeria, in 1936, Saint Laurent went to Paris at age 17 to study fashion at the Chambre Syndicale de la Haute Couture. Just two years later, in 1955, his remarkable sketches were shown to Christian Dior, then the world’s reigning couturier, who hired him immediately.
Surprisingly soon thereafter, Dior publicly chose Saint Laurent as his successor, which sadly proved prescient when the fashion legend died unexpectedly, in 1957. A mere slip of a youth, the 21-year-old Saint Laurent was nevertheless up to the challenge. He shook the traditional couture clientele to its core with youthful silhouettes and styles like the A-line trapeze dress that hung with seeming effortlessness from the shoulders, the antithesis of the pinched waists and molded skirts that had been all the rage after the deprivations of World War II.
After a mandated spell in the torturous French military, Saint Laurent suffered a nervous breakdown and was dismissed by Dior in 1962. Out of the ashes rose the Age of Yves. With Pierre Bergé, his then-lover who became his lifelong business partner and friend, the designer founded Yves Saint Laurent YSL to encompass prêt-à-porter, or ready-to-wear. In 1966, they opened the first YSL Rive Gauche women’s boutique in Paris, followed soon thereafter by YSL Rive Gauche for men. Saint Laurent had given birth to a global brand.
His revolutionary Mondrian mini dress from 1965 is a core element of his fashion biography. It is a prime example of how Saint Laurent, an avid art lover and collector, looked to painters, from Goya to Picasso, Ingres to Matisse, for inspiration.
With its pure lines and hues, Mondrian’s ground-breaking 1935 color-block painting Composition C transmutes beautifully into a dress that is highly valued by collectors of contemporary fashion and widely copied commercially to this day. The design is the epitome of Saint Laurent’s aesthetic, requiring a meticulous hand piecing of each color block so that, despite the body’s curves, the visual plane is as flat as a canvas when the garment is worn. Mondrian’s purity met its match in Saint Laurent.
“I am no longer concerned with sensation and innovation, but with the perfection of my style,” Saint Laurent said four years before retiring, in 2002. After a long period of ill health, he died at his home in Paris on June 1, 2008.
- Rare 1970s Yves Saint Laurent YSL Vintage Long Black Wool Maxi Vest or DressBy Yves Saint Laurent, Yves Saint Laurent Rive GaucheLocated in Sparks, NVRare and iconic vintage Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche 1970s black wool button up maxi vest or dress from the estate of Pamela Lewis (Jerry Lewis/ Gary Lewis). Can be worn as either ...Category
- YSL Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche Vintage Gray Wool Blazer JacketBy Yves Saint Laurent, Yves Saint Laurent Rive GaucheLocated in Sparks, NVBeautifully tailored gray wool blazer jacket by Saint Laurent . Details: Fully Lined Front Pockets Shoulder Pads Are Sewn Into Lining Front Button Closure Marked Size: 38 E...Category
Late 20th Century Blazers
- 2003 Yves Saint Laurent by Tom Ford Pink Ruffle Jacket + Skirt Suit Ensemble YSLBy Tom Ford for Yves Saint Laurent, Yves Saint Laurent Rive GaucheLocated in Sparks, NVIconic and collectible 2003 Tom Ford for Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche pink jacket and skirt ensemble with asymmetric ruffle. The skirt is fully lined with front button, buckle and ...Category
Early 2000s Blazers
- 1970s Yves Saint Laurent Vintage Purple Black Gold Knit Wrap Sweater Top/ ShirtBy Yves Saint Laurent, Yves Saint Laurent Rive GaucheLocated in Sparks, NVVintage 1970s Yves Saint Laurent knit wrap sweater in purple, black and metallic gold. Unlined with side tie closure. Fits like a modern size small. The bust measures 29-35" (unstret...Category
- Yves Saint Laurent Vintage 100% Cashmere JacketBy Yves Saint LaurentLocated in Sparks, NVStunning ivory 100% cashmere jacket by Yves Saint Laurent. Structured collar and front patch pockets. Fully lined. The marked size is 38 and the jacket fits like a modern size small....Category
- YSL Yves Saint Laurent Vintage 1960s 60s Gray Wool Pencil SkirtBy Yves Saint Laurent, Yves Saint Laurent Rive GaucheLocated in Sparks, NVGorgeous tailored gray wool skirt by Yves Saint Laurent. Details: Fully Lined Side Metal Zip and Hook Closure Marked Size: 38 Estimated Size: Small Color: Gray Fabric: Woo...Category
You May Also Like
20th Century Blazers
20th Century Cropped Jackets
1980s Skirt Suits
1980s Cropped Jackets
1970s Cropped Jackets
1970s Trench Coats
Recently ViewedView More
The Stories behind the Most Famous Luxury Fashion Logos
From Chanel to YSL, the logos of some legacy fashion houses spark instant brand recognition and have come to symbolize a kind of luxury that feels at once aspirational and attainable.
14 Iconic Luxury Handbags and the Stories behind Them
When the name of a bag is as well-known as its brand, you know it's a classic.
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Insured Global Delivery