- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Yves Saint Laurent Patterned Silk Jacquard Blouse
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: New York, NY
- Return Policy
This item cannot be returned.
About the Designer
Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche
Visionary French fashion designer Yves Saint Laurent was the first to launch a ready-to-wear label, YSL Rive Gauche Prêt-à-Porter. The inaugural Rive Gauche boutique — a modern shop in Paris’s bustling, bohemian Left Bank district — offered stylish garments and accessories that were intended to be affordable for a younger generation of fashion enthusiasts. The store featured Mies van der Rohe chairs and played host to actor Catherine Deneuve during its grand opening.
Saint Laurent pioneered “cross-design” in fashion, taking inspiration from street trends to modernize haute couture. He was the first couturier to open boutiques for both men and women. Using traditional menswear fabrics and designs for women, he also literally cross-dressed, giving men and women alike chic pant suits, elegant tuxedo jackets and urban safari gear. By blurring gender-specific design, he empowered individual style while creating a scissor-sharp fashion aesthetic of sensual ease and beauty. Many of his designs are today considered timeless classics. Saint Laurent also consistently used Black models, like Mounia, Iman and Naomi Campbell, and he drew endless inspiration from different ethnicities and cultures, in no small part because of his Algerian roots.
Born to French parents in Oran, Algeria, in 1936, Saint Laurent went to Paris at age 17 to study fashion at the Chambre Syndicale de la Haute Couture. Just two years later, in 1955, his remarkable sketches were shown to Christian Dior, then the world’s reigning couturier, who hired him immediately.
Surprisingly soon thereafter, Dior publicly chose Saint Laurent as his successor, which sadly proved prescient when the fashion legend died unexpectedly, in 1957. A mere slip of a youth, the 21-year-old Saint Laurent was nevertheless up to the challenge. He shook the traditional couture clientele to its core with youthful silhouettes and styles like the A-line trapeze dress that hung with seeming effortlessness from the shoulders, the antithesis of the pinched waists and molded skirts that had been all the rage after the deprivations of World War II.
After a mandated spell in the torturous French military, Saint Laurent suffered a nervous breakdown and was dismissed by Dior in 1962. Out of the ashes rose the Age of Yves. With Pierre Bergé, his then-lover who became his lifelong business partner and friend, the designer founded Yves Saint Laurent YSL to encompass prêt-à-porter, or ready-to-wear. In 1966, they opened the first YSL Rive Gauche women’s boutique in Paris — Rive Gauche is French for “left bank” — followed soon thereafter by YSL Rive Gauche for men. Ready-to-wear materialized during a period of dynamic transformation and experimentation and came to dominate the Paris fashion scene. Saint Laurent had given birth to a global brand.
His revolutionary Mondrian mini dress from 1965 is a core element of his fashion biography. It is a prime example of how Saint Laurent, an avid art lover and collector, looked to painters, from Goya to Picasso, Ingres to Matisse, for inspiration.
With its pure lines and hues, Mondrian’s ground-breaking 1935 color-block painting Composition C transmutes beautifully into a dress that is highly valued by collectors of contemporary fashion and widely copied commercially to this day. The design is the epitome of Saint Laurent’s aesthetic, requiring a meticulous hand piecing of each color block so that, despite the body’s curves, the visual plane is as flat as a canvas when the garment is worn. Mondrian’s purity met its match in Saint Laurent.
“I am no longer concerned with sensation and innovation, but with the perfection of my style,” Saint Laurent said four years before retiring, in 2002. After a long period of ill health, he died at his home in Paris on June 1, 2008.
- Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche Multi tone Silk BlouseBy Yves Saint Laurent Rive GaucheLocated in New York, NYYves Saint Laurent, Rive Gauche, multi-tone, patterned, silk peasant blouse, having an exaggerated, deep flounced neckline detail and full sleeves that bell at the wrists.Category
1980s French Blouses and Tops
- Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche Polka Dot Chiffon Lavaliere BlouseBy Yves Saint Laurent Rive GaucheLocated in New York, NYYves Saint Laurent, Rive Gauche, navy and white polka dot, chiffon, lavaliere blouse having a bias cut loose fitting body and halter cut armholes. Blouse has multi layers of chiffon ...Category
1990s French Blouses and Tops
- Yves Saint Laurent Floral Silk Tunic and Pant EnsembleBy Yves Saint Laurent Rive GaucheLocated in New York, NYYves Saint Laurent, Rive Gauche, silk damask, tunic and pant ensemble in a yellow gold, with a Celedon green floral pattern. Tunic top is Indian inspired, having a Nehru collar with ...Category
1990s French Suits, Outfits and Ensembles
- Bill Blass Striped Sequined TopBy Bill BlassLocated in New York, NYBill Blass, sequins, on chiffon, pastel toned, striped top having a jeweled neckline, narrow silhouette, and long sleeves. Top ends above the hip with a back zipper closure.Category
1990s American Blouses and Tops
- Yves Saint Laurent Chinese Collection TunicBy Yves Saint LaurentLocated in New York, NYYves Saint Laurent, RIve Gauche, red and black, chrysanthemum pattern tunic from his Chinese Collection. Tunic has button closure on the right shoulder.Category
- Karl Lagerfeld for Chloé Printed Silk TunicBy Karl Lagerfeld for ChloeLocated in New York, NYKarl Lagerfeld, for Chloé, small patterned, brick red, peasant stye, tunic, in a light weight, crinkled silk, with 3/4 balloon sleeves and a tie at the neckline.Category
1970s French Tunics
- Sun yellow in satin "duchesse" with purple lining Saint Laurent Rive Gauche 1980By Yves Saint Laurent Rive GaucheLocated in Saint-Ouen-Sur-Seine, FRSun yellow in satin "duchesse" with purple liningCategory
1980s French Shirts
- Vintage Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche Vibrant Floral Silk Print Bow Tie BlouseBy Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche, Yves Saint LaurentLocated in West Palm Beach, FLVintage Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche vibrant floral silk print bow tie blouse. This beautiful silk blouse looks barely, if ever, worn. The print is bright and cheery. Pull on blous...Category
1980s French Shirts
- 1970's YVES SAINT LAURENT floral printed cotton peasant topBy Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche, Yves Saint LaurentLocated in San Fransisco, CAVivid, floral-printed, cotton peasant shirt with black piping and elasticized cuffs designed by Yves Saint Laurent dating to the 1970's. French size 34. Fits a size 2 or 4. Approxim...Category
1970s French Blouses and Tops
- Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche vintage grey floral cut out crochet silk top MBy Yves Saint Laurent Rive GaucheLocated in Paris, FRYves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche vintage top Silk spaghetti strap top in a dark slate grey Trimmed at the bust and hem in white and dark grey crochet in a wool type fabric Asymmetrical...Category
1990s Italian Camisoles
- 1970's Black satin asymmetrical tunique with fringes Saint Laurent Rive GaucheBy Yves Saint Laurent Rive GaucheLocated in Saint-Ouen-Sur-Seine, FR1970's Black satin asymmetrical tunique with fringes from the "Russian collection" No lining Size 42 (L)Category
- Pistachio green silk jacquard top Yves Saint Laurent Rive GaucheBy Yves Saint Laurent Rive GaucheLocated in Saint-Ouen-Sur-Seine, FRPistachio green silk jacquard top, zipped on the left side and scarf collarCategory
1990s French Blouses and Tops