- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Chanel Small Tweed Flap Bag Black Ivory
About the Item
In the years following the opening of her modest millinery shop, Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel became a pivotal designer of both fashionable casual wear and Paris haute couture as well as an icon and arbiter of 20th-century style with her bob haircut and pearls. Today vintage Chanel handbags, jackets and evening dresses are among the most sought-after clothing and accessories for fashion lovers all over the world.
The first Chanel shop was established in 1910 in Paris on rue Cambon by the young milliner Gabrielle Chanel (1883–1971), who had picked up the nickname “Coco” while working as a club singer. The boutique drew the attention of the Parisian fashion elite who popularized her wide-brimmed Chanel Modes hats. Soon she added a sportswear store in the Normandy resort town of Deauville, where Coco set the tone for her defining sense of style — traditionally masculine garments reimagined for feminine shapes, made from simple jersey fabric.
Effortless and elegant, Chanel's designs promoted comfort and grace in women’s wear that had been dominated in the previous century by complicated layers of fabric and cumbersome corsets. She followed this success with a couture house, opened in 1915 in Biarritz.
But Chanel was not born into a life of glamour. Following the death of her mother, her father left her in an orphanage where she lived until the age of 18. It was there that she learned to sew as well as appreciate the classic pairing of black and white as worn by the nuns. In 1926, she introduced her first little black dress, reclaiming a color that had once been reserved for mourning and working-class women. That same decade, she debuted her perfume, Chanel No. 5, as well as the Chanel suit with a fitted skirt, inspired by the boxy lines of men’s clothing and employing a sporty tweed.
Chanel closed her fashion operations during World War II, then returned to the industry in 1954 to design for the functional needs of modern women. Structure and wearability endured in all of Chanel’s clothing and accessories, like the quilted leather 2.55 handbag introduced in 1955 with its gold-chain shoulder strap that freed up a woman’s hands. Chanel's collarless jacket reacted against the constricting styles of Christian Dior's New Look, replacing them with a design that was timeless, an instant classic. The 1957 two-tone slingback pumps had a practical heel height while offering a bold statement in the black tip of the shoes.
After Coco Chanel died in 1971, the brand underwent several changes in leadership, including fashion designer Karl Lagerfeld, who took over as artistic director in 1983. Over the years, the company has continued to innovate, such as expanding into ready-to-wear fashion in 1978 and, in 2002, establishing a subsidiary company — Paraffection — dedicated to preserving the heritage skills of fashion artisan workshops. The House of Chanel still operates its flagship on rue Cambon in Paris, where it all began.
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Mississauga, Canada
- Return Policy
This item cannot be returned.
- GUCCI Broadway Bee Python Skin MiniBy GucciLocated in Brampton, ONBRAND NEW Gucci Broadway 🐝Bee Embellished Python Dimensions Height: 5 in (12.7 cm) Width: 7 in (17.78 cm) Depth: 2 in (5.08 cm) Made from premium exotic python, it includes dustb...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Italian Structured Shoulder Bags
- Chanel Purple Quilted Lambskin Mini Rectangular Classic Flap BagBy ChanelLocated in New York, NYListing Title: Chanel Purple Quilted Lambskin Mini Rectangular Classic Flap Bag SKU: 123923 Condition: Pre-owned Handbag Condition: Excellent Condition Comments: Excellent Condition...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Crossbody Bags and Messenger Bags
- Tadashi Shoji Monochrome Floral Embroidered Marissa Gown MBy Tadashi ShojiLocated in Dubai, Al Qouz 2A sophisticated look comes with this Tadashi Shoji gown that is all set to slay the crowds. Blossoming with floral embroidery on the long sleeves and bodice, it is crafted with an as...Category
2010s Italian Evening Gowns$105 Sale Price69% Off
- Chanel Black Quilted Jersey Vintage Medium Classic Double Flap BagBy ChanelLocated in Bishop's Stortford, HertfordshireChanel Black Quilted Jersey Vintage Medium Classic Double Flap Bag CONDITION NOTES The exterior is in excellent condition with light signs of use. The interior is in excellent condi...Category
1990s French Structured Shoulder BagsSold$4,436Free Shipping
- CHANEL Denim Blue Jean Quilted Gold CC Top Handle Carryall Travel Briefcase BagBy ChanelLocated in Chicago, ILPre-Owned Vintage Condition From 1997 Collection Denim Gold Hardware Measures 15" W x 11" H x 2.75" D Handle Drop 2" Includes Authenticity Card, Dust Bag and Box 100% Authenticity ...Category
1990s Briefcases and Attachés$13,060 Sale Price20% OffFree Shipping
- Hermes Mini Kelly 20 Sellier Jaune Bourgeon Bag Chevre Leather Palladium HardwarBy HermèsLocated in Miami, FLMightychic offers an Hermes Kelly 20 Mini Sellier bag featured in Jaune Bourgeon. Gorgeous muted lime. Chevre leather accentuated with Gold hardware. Comes with signature Hermes bo...Category
21st Century and Contemporary French Structured Shoulder Bags
- Chanel Coco Handle Bag Large Navy Caviar with Ruthenium Hardware 2016By Chanel, Chanel BoutiqueLocated in Banbury, GBDandelion Code AT-1208 Brand Chanel Model Coco Handle Serial No. 23****** Color Navy Blue Date Approx. 2016 Metal Silver Material Caviar Calfskin Measurements Approx. 33 x 21 x 1...Category
2010s French Structured Shoulder Bags
- Chanel Vintage Black Lambskin Classic Flap Bag Gold Hardware MediumBy Chanel, Chanel BoutiqueLocated in Montreal, QuebecFeaturing gold tone hardware, a front flap with the signature Mademoiselle interlocking CC turn lock closure, a gold toned chain strap interlaced with leather, a rear flat pocket, an...Category
Early 20th Century French Shoulder Bags
- Vintage Chanel quilted lambskin bag, red, 1985 and Carte E'AuthenticiteBy Chanel Boutique, Karl Lagerfeld for ChanelLocated in Stuttgart, DEIconic Chanel bag, lambskin in red with a very early 6 digit ID number. 0672501 and ID card. The CARTE E'AUTHENTICITE was started in 1984 with the 6-digit number! Measurements: Hight...Category
1990s French Shoulder Bags
- Chanel Black and Silver Lambskin Mini Classic Limited EditionBy ChanelLocated in Palm Beach, FLThis authentic Chanel Black and Silver Lambskin Mini Classic is in pristine condition. A limited edition piece from the Cruise Collection, it is a lovely addition to any collection....Category
2010s French Structured Shoulder Bags
- Chanel Pale Yellow Perforated Leather Baseball Spirit Flap BagBy ChanelLocated in Palm Beach, FLThis authentic Chanel Pale Yellow Perforated Leather Baseball Spirit Flap Bag is in excellent plus condition. Perfectly scaled in the medium silhouette, this flap bag is ready to go ...Category
Early 2000s Italian Structured Shoulder Bags
- Chanel Gold Mini Reissue Runway Flap BagBy ChanelLocated in Palm Beach, FLThis authentic Chanel Gold Mini Reissue Flap Bag is a runway piece in pristine condition. Encrusted with tiny gold flecks and quilted in signature Chanel diamond pattern. Gold tone...Category
2010s French Evening Bags and Minaudières
Recently ViewedView More
This Vintage Chanel Fur Muff Is Après-Ski Chic
It might not be as practical as a pair of mittens, but for something that looks this good, practicality really doesn't matter.
A Chanel Wicker Handbag Gives Impossibly Chic Picnic Vibes
Only Chanel could elevate humble materials like denim and wicker to icon-level status.
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery