Y2K Christian Dior 2000'S Pale Blue Trotter Flip Phone Pouch Wristlet Case
About the Item
- Dimensions:Width: 1 in (2.54 cm)Depth: 4 in (10.16 cm)Length: 2 in (5.08 cm)Marked Size: ONE SIZE (EU)
- Style:y2k (Of the Period)
- Place of Origin:
- Seller Location:Sheffield, GB
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU3407218653122
John Galliano for Christian Dior
Known for introducing rich theatricality and memorable fashion spectacles to the runway, John Galliano has enjoyed a singular career. The audacious British designer has garnered universal acclaim for genre-breaking collections not only at his eponymous label but also for Christian Dior.
From his embroidered absinthe-green Oscars gown for actress Nicole Kidman to the iconic sleeveless newspaper-print dress that Sex and the City’s Carrie Bradshaw made famous, Galliano’s intricate and multifaceted work is reliably newsworthy, drawing on history as often as it embodies a fresh and forward-looking sensibility, and over the years the designer has helped shape an ever-broadening new legion of enthusiasts for Parisian couture.
Born in Gibraltar but raised in South London by strict Roman Catholic working-class parents, Galliano attended the all-boys Church of England grammar school, where his flamboyance and interest in art attracted the attention of bullies. Eventually, Galliano ended up at the prestigious design and art school Central Saint Martins College (then called Saint Martin’s School of Art), where fellow British designers Stella McCartney and Alexander McQueen also trained.
Galliano flourished at Central Saint Martins. While a student, he worked in the costume department at the National Theatre in London. His graduate collection in 1984, dubbed “Les Incroyables” and named for post–French Revolution fashion lovers, was modeled by close friends of his and earned a standing ovation. The line ended up in the storefront windows of London luxury boutique Brown’s on South Molton Street, and Galliano’s first official collection — after he graduated — debuted at Paris Fashion Week in 1989.
In the early 1990s, Galliano’s relationship with his financial backer, Plein Sud’s Faycal Amor, ended, and by 1994, he was broke and sleeping on the floor of a friend’s apartment. Vogue editor in chief Anna Wintour and then-Vanity Fair editor André Leon Talley stepped in and introduced the budding designer to Portuguese socialite and fashion patron São Schlumberger and others. At Schlumberger’s Hôtel Particulier, Galliano’s shows became the stuff of fashion legend. His collection, a blend of Japanese modernist style as well as nostalgia for Art Deco and 1940s’ tailoring, earned raves in glossy magazines and garnered the attention of Princess Diana, Madonna and other fashion luminaries.
Once the Galliano name was well known among the world’s most stylish set, the chairperson of LVMH, Bernard Arnault, appointed Galliano head designer of French fashion house Givenchy. One year later, in 1996, LVMH moved him to the design team at Dior. In just eight weeks, Galliano produced 50 looks for Dior Haute Couture’s brilliant Spring/Summer 1997 Maasai collection and would ultimately design a mind-boggling eight collections a year for the storied French fashion house until 2011. Today, Galliano is the creative director of Maison Margiela.
Shop vintage and contemporary John Galliano for Christian Dior evening dresses and gowns, shoes, handbags and other clothing and accessories on 1stDibs.
When Christian Dior launched his couture house, in 1946, he wanted nothing less than to make “an elegant woman more beautiful and a beautiful woman more elegant.” He succeeded, and in doing so the visionary designer altered the landscape of 20th century fashion.
Dior was born in Granville, on the Normandy coast, in 1905. His prosperous haute bourgeois parents wanted him to become a diplomat despite his interest in art and architecture. However, they agreed to bankroll an art gallery, which Dior opened in 1928 in Paris with a friend.
This was the start of Dior’s rise in the city’s creative milieu, where he befriended Pablo Picasso and Jean Cocteau. After seven years as an art dealer, Dior retrained as a fashion illustrator, eventually landing a job as a fashion designer for Robert Piguet, and in 1941, following a year of military service, he joined the house of Lucien Lelong. Just five years later, with the backing of industrialist Marcel Boussac, the ascendant Dior established his own fashion house, at 30 avenue Montaigne in Paris.
Just two years after the end of World War II, the fashion crowd and the moribund haute couture industry were yearning, comme tout Paris, for security and prosperity, desperate to discard the drab, sexless, utilitarian garb imposed by wartime deprivation. They needed to dream anew.
And Dior delivered: He designed a collection for a bright, optimistic future. “It’s quite a revolution, dear Christian!” exclaimed Carmel Snow, the prescient American editor-in-chief of Harper’s Bazaar, famously proclaiming, “Your dresses have such a new look.” The press ran with the description, christening Dior’s debut Spring/Summer haute couture collection the New Look. “God help those who bought before they saw Dior,” said Snow. “This changes everything.”
Dior’s collection definitively declared that opulence, luxury and femininity were in. His skirts could have 40-meter-circumference hems, and outfits could weigh up to 60 pounds. They were cut and shaped like architecture, on strong foundations that molded women and “freed them from nature,” Dior said. Rather than rationing, his ladies wanted reams of fabric and 19-inch waists enforced by wire corsets, and the fashion world concurred. The debut got a standing ovation.
In the subsequent decade, Paris ruled as the undisputed fashion capital of the world, and Christian Dior reigned as its king. With the luxuriously full skirts of his New Look, suits and his drop-dead gorgeous evening dresses and ball gowns worthy of any princess, Dior gave women the gift of glamour they’d lost in the miserable years of war.
On 1stDibs, find an exquisite range of vintage Christian Dior clothing, jewelry, handbags and other items.
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Sheffield, United Kingdom
- Return Policy
A return for this item may be initiated within 3 days of delivery.
- Dolce & Gabbana 2000'S Python Skin & Swarovski Crystal Black Satin Shoulder BagBy Dolce & GabbanaLocated in Sheffield, GBA Petite 2000's Black Python skin, Satin & Swarovski crystal shoulder bag by DOLCE & GABANNA. Features; Press stud fasten Metal Chain shoulder strap Interior card compartment Embossed Metal Hardware MADE IN ITALY Real Python...Category
Early 2000s Italian Structured Shoulder Bags
- Vintage Courrèges Quilted Black Nylon Satchel Body BagBy André Courrèges, CourrègesLocated in Sheffield, GBUnderstated Vintage Courreges body bag constructed from black quilted nylon with Silver metal Logo detail on the front. Features: Silver-tone Metal Hardware Nylon quilted exterior B...Category
20th Century Crossbody Bags and Messenger Bags
- Pierre Cardin 1960'S Brown Crocodile Skin Pouch Pochette Shoulder BagBy Pierre CardinLocated in Sheffield, GBA 1960's PIERRE CARDIN pouch bag, with Singular shoulder strap and made entirely from crocodile skin. Features; Iconic PIERRE CARDIN exterior Emblem logo Press stud closure One large leather lined interior with additional small interior compartments Singe Strap MADE IN FRANCE Measurements; Length; 7'' Depth; 6'' Width; 2'' Strap; 25'' Condition; Condition 5/10. The bag is an Archival Museum Quality Piece...Category
1960s French Structured Shoulder Bags
- Christian Dior By Galliano Fw/2004 Rasta Cross Body BagBy John Galliano for Christian Dior, Christian DiorLocated in Sheffield, GBFALL / WINTER 2004 COLLECTION CHRISTIAN DIOR Arguably one of the most iconic collections by Galliano for Dior. Fully monogrammed CHRISTIAN DIOR Rasta themed adjustable shoulder ba...Category
Early 2000s French Crossbody Bags and Messenger Bags
- Courrèges 1960'S Orange Vinyl Holdall Weekend Travel BagBy André CourrègesLocated in Sheffield, GBA Chic Vintage 1960's large orange vinyl weekend bag / holdall by COURRÈGES. Features; Iconic 1960's orange vinyl exterior Double zip fasten x2 Top hand...Category
1960s French Duffel Bags and Carry-On Bags
- Dolce & Gabbana 1990'S Transparent Red Striped Vinyl Mini Tote bagBy D&G by DOLCE & GABBANALocated in Sheffield, GBA 1990's red striped and transparent vinyl mini tote bag, by Dolce & Gabbana. Features; Red leather piping detail Red leather Sphagetti strap top handles Iconic D&G exterior logo p...Category
1990s Italian Tote Bags
- Womens Designer CHLOE Darryl Coin PurseBy ChloéLocated in London, GBLovely Darryl wallet, purse from Chloe. Purchased and never used. Colour Black Material Leather Hardware Gold Condition As New Height / Width/ Depth 8cm / 13.5 cm Size Small Dustb...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Wallets and Small AccessoriesUnavailable$252Free Shipping
- Designer GOYARD SENAT 2 MINI BlueBy GoyardLocated in London, GBGoyard Classic Mini Senat Pouch in blue coated canvas for sale. Detailed with Goyard's iconic Goyardine monogram and silver hardware. An unworn piece. Colour Blue Material Leather co...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Wallets and Small AccessoriesUnavailable$696Free Shipping
- Mariano Fortuny Rare Black Stencilled Velvet Drawstring BagBy FortunyLocated in Riverdale, NYFortunys stenciled velvet drawstring bags found a use for small pieces of his precious velvets, their sizes vary due to the dimensions of the cuts.They are exceedingly rare.
Early 20th Century Italian Art Deco Pouches and WristletsPrice Upon Request
- Vintage KARL LAGERFELD Logo Black Leather Key Holder WalletBy Karl LagerfeldLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage KARL LAGERFELD Logo Black Leather Key Holder Wallet Measurements: Height: 2.75 inches (7 cm) Width: 4.13 inches (10.5 cm) Features: - 100% Authe...Category
20th Century French Wallets
- Vintage KARL LAGERFELD Gold Logo Black Patent Leather Key Holder WalletBy Karl LagerfeldLocated in Kingersheim, AlsaceVintage KARL LAGERFELD Gold Logo Black Patent Leather Key Holder Wallet Measurements: Height: 2.75 inches (7 cm) Width: 4.13 inches (10.5 cm) Features: - 100% Authentic KARL LAGER...Category
20th Century French Wallets
- 2017 Hermès Celeste, Capucine & Ambre Epsom Leather Camail Key Holder CharmBy HermèsLocated in Bishop's Stortford, HertfordshireHERMÈS Celeste, Capucine & Ambre Epsom Leather Camail Key Holder Charm Serial Number: A Age (Circa): 2017 Accompanied By: Hermès Box Authenticity Details: Date Stamp (Made in Fran...Category
21st Century and Contemporary French Wallets and Small Accessories$1,051Free Shipping
Recently ViewedView More
How John Galliano Caused Fashion Chaos around the Globe
The visionary designer epitomizes the pleasures and perils of irrepressible creative genius.
Too Soon for the Return of ’90s Fashion? As If
There's a renewed appreciation for the era's aesthetic, perhaps most notably among millennials seeking authentic, easy style.
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery