Clay Michie Table Desk Lamp for Knoll with Swiveling Arm and Adjustable Shade
About the Item
- Creator:Knoll (Designer)
- Dimensions:Height: 16 in (40.64 cm)Diameter: 11.75 in (29.85 cm)
- Style:Mid-Century Modern (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques:
- Place of Origin:
- Date of Manufacture:c. 1950's
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use. Heavy wear / oxidation to base, some wear to brass plating. Shallow 1 1/2"crease in shade.
- Seller Location:Chicago, IL
- Reference Number:1stDibs: U1110108197464
As a company that produced many of the most famous and iconic furniture designs of the 20th century, Knoll was a chief influence in the rise of modern design in the United States. Led by Florence Knoll, the firm would draw stellar talents such as Ludwig Mies van der Rohe and Eero Saarinen into its compass. Their work would help change the face of the American home and office.
The company was formed in 1938 by the German immigrant Hans Knoll. He first worked with his fellow ex-pat, the Danish designer Jens Risom, who created furniture with flowing lines made of wood. While Risom served in World War II, in 1943 Knoll met his future wife, Florence Schust. She had studied and worked with eminent emigré leaders of the Bauhaus, including Mies, Walter Gropius and Marcel Breuer. She won Knoll over with Bauhaus notions of industrial arts, and an aesthetic that featured flat and tubular metal frames and angular forms. When Hans died in a car crash in 1955, Florence Knoll was appointed head of the company. It was as much through her holistic approach to design — a core division of the firm was dedicated to planning office systems — as Knoll's mid-century modern furnishings themselves that she brought about the sleek and efficient transformation of the American workplace.
Today, classic Knoll furnishings remain staples of modern design collections and decor. A history of modern design is written in pieces such as the elegant Barcelona chair — created by Mies and Lilly Reich — Saarinen’s pedestal Tulip chair, Breuer’s tubular steel Wassily lounge chair and the grid-patterned Diamond chair by Harry Bertoia.
As you can see from the collection of these designs and other vintage Knoll dining chairs, sofas and tables on 1stDibs, this manufacturer's offerings have become timeless emblems of the progressive spirit and sleek sophistication of the best of modernism.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Chicago, IL
- Return PolicyThis item cannot be returned.
- Marianne Brandt Table Desk Lamp for Kandem with Adjustable Arm and ShadeBy KandemLocated in Chicago, ILArtist, sculptor, designer and teacher Marianne Brandt's desk lamp by Kandem is a classic, Bauhaus inspired design. The adjustable arm and shade make it an excellent task / work lam...Category
20th Century German Industrial Table LampsMaterials
- Bakelite and Aluminum Industrial Desk Work Lamp with Adjustable Arm and ShadeLocated in Chicago, ILNice, circa 1930s, modernist style desk lamp in Bakelite and aluminum. The arm pivots on a ball and socket joint, and the shade adjusts its position on the arm. This is a nice exampl...Category
20th Century Industrial Table LampsMaterials
- Italian Table Lamp Marble and Brass with Adjustable Fixture and Reflector ShadeLocated in Chicago, ILThis Italian table lamp has an elegant, marble base and sculptural form. The adjustable fixture and reflector shade allow for directing the light in va...Category
20th Century Italian Mid-Century Modern Table LampsMaterials
- Louis Kalff Table or Desk Lamp for Philips with Perforated Metal ShadeBy PhilipsLocated in Chicago, ILTable lamp with open top and perforated metal shade designed by Louis Kalff for Philips, Netherlands. This lamp has pleasing proportions, and an elegantly tapered stem. Please conta...Category
20th Century Dutch Mid-Century Modern Table LampsMaterials
- Arteluce Table Lamp by Filippo Panseca Acrylic Block with Articulated ArmBy ArteluceLocated in Chicago, ILThis acrylic block table lamp with articulated arm was designed by Filippo Panseca for Arteluce. It can be positioned in various ways. It's a nice ...Category
20th Century Italian Mid-Century Modern Table LampsMaterials
- David Cressey Ceramic Table Lamp for Architectural Pottery with Textured SurfaceBy Architectural Pottery, David CresseyLocated in Chicago, ILCeramic table lamp designed by David Cressey for Architectural Pottery. It has a speckled brown glaze over a creamy base color and a textural surface treatment of freely applied squi...Category
Vintage 1960s American Mid-Century Modern Table LampsMaterials
- Clay Michie for Knoll International Articulating No. 8 Table LampBy Knoll, Clay MichieLocated in Vienna, ATClassic Clay Michie for Knoll International Articulating No. 8 table lamp designed in 1958. Featuring a Chrome swing arm, perforated black enamel shade with (7...Category
Vintage 1920s German Mid-Century Modern Table LampsMaterials
- Clay Michie For Knoll Swing Arm Saucer Desk Lamp, 1950s Mid Century Good DesignBy Clay MichieLocated in Peoria, AZCLAY MICHIE FOR KNOLL ARTICULATING SAUCER DESK LAMP NO. 8 RARE W/ BULB DIFFUSER DIMENSIONS: Approximately 17" Tall Base: 8" Shade Diameter: 11" Here is the large, iconic, mid century award winning desk lamp penned by Clay Michie for Knoll! This lamp is an archetype of modernist mid century style with its long articulating chrome arm and saucer shade! This award winning lamp...Category
Mid-20th Century American Mid-Century Modern Table LampsMaterials
- Lamp Desk Table Chrome Swivel AdjustableLocated in Eversholt, BedfordshireClassic Art Deco design Ergonomic with adjustable shade, long swivel arm and support all with screws to fix into position On a square stepped plinth base, engraved REH EP The p...Category
20th Century French Mid-Century Modern Table LampsMaterials
- Angelo Lelli Table Desk Lamp with Adjustable Metal Shade, Italy, 1950sBy Angelo LeliiLocated in Zagreb, HRMid-century Italian Table lamp designed by Angelo Lelli in white lacquered metal and chrome base, Italy, 1950s. The lampshade is adjustable, the lamp is wired with original vintag...Category
Mid-20th Century Italian Mid-Century Modern Table LampsMaterials
- Table Lamp with Adjustable Shade by Hurka for Drupol, 1960sBy Josef Hurka, DrupolLocated in Praha, CZDesigned by Josef Hurka, executed by DRUPOL in 1960s, 1x25W, E12-E14 bulb. US plug adapter included. Good original condition with some signs of use on the laquered parts.Category
Vintage 1960s Czech Mid-Century Modern Table LampsMaterials
- Walter Von Nessen Brass Swing Arm Table Lamp with Adjustable Cylindrical ShadeBy Nessen Studio, Walter Von NessenLocated in Brooklyn, NYAttractive and highly functional desk / table lamp by Walter Von Nessen for his eponymous Nessen Studio (ca. 1970s, New York City). Features a swing arm and pivoting, perforated, cyl...Category
Vintage 1970s American Mid-Century Modern Table LampsMaterials