- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
1940s Rolex Oyster Perpetual Bubble Back Wristwatch Steel Rose Gold Automatic
- CreatorRolex (Clockmaker)
- DimensionsHeight: 0.51 in. (1.28 cm)Diameter: 1.34 in. (3.4 cm)
- StyleMid-Century Modern (Of the Period)
- Materials and TechniquesPolishedStainless Steel
- Place of Origin
- Date of Manufacture1940s
- ConditionRepaired: Has been checked and revised by a clockmaker specialized for vintage watches. Wear consistent with age and use. Revision made by a German jeweler, specialized in antique/vintage watches.
- Seller LocationBaden-Baden, DE
- Reference Number1stDibs: LU3128318942212
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingFree Standard Shippingto anywhere in the world, arrives in 1-3 weeks. We recommend this shipping type based on item size, type and fragility.Delivered by a parcel delivery service such as UPS, FedEx, or DHL.Customs Duties & Taxes May Apply.Ships From: Baden-Baden, Germany
- Return Policy
This item cannot be returned.
About Rolex (Clockmaker)
Ask anyone, anywhere, to name a luxury watch brand, and the answer will probably be “Rolex.” This enviable worldwide recognition can be credited in part to the genius of company founder Hans Wilsdorf. When the German-born watch dealer and his brother-in-law, Alfred Davis, set up their London enterprise, in 1905, they called it Wilsdorf & Davis, according to the traditional formula.
But Wilsdorf was determined to come up with another name that was short, would look good on a watch dial and was easy to say and remember in several languages. In 1908, he trademarked the name Rolex, and by 1920, he had moved the company to Geneva and redubbed it as Montres Rolex S.A.
But the main reasons for the brand’s success are its commitment to precision and unflagging pursuit of innovation. In 1926, the company introduced the aptly named Oyster model. With a screw-down crown and case back, both fitted with rubber gaskets, this was the first truly waterproof watch.
Five years later, Rolex upped the ante with the Oyster Perpetual. That model’s patented Perpetual movement contained a rotor mechanism enabling it to self-wind. In another trendsetting move, in 1945, the brand debuted the Datejust, with a date window prominently displayed on the dial.
The company’s two most iconic models are sports watches. Although the Submariner, which debuted in 1953, was developed as a dive watch, its waterproof case, solid construction and good looks made it a favorite of adventurers and urbanites alike, including James Bond, who wore it in classics like Dr. No and Goldfinger. The Daytona, the racing chronograph made famous by Paul Newman, is especially sought after by collectors. Newman’s personal Daytona, which hit the auction block in 2017, sold for $17.8 million.
Find vintage and contemporary Rolex watches, bracelets and more on 1stDibs.
- By PirouetteLocated in Baden-Baden, DEChromed table lamp with orange bakelite Original Art Deco, France, 1930s Original chrome with patina (just cle...Category
Mid-20th Century French Table LampsMaterials
MetalH 18.9 in. W 5.91 in. D 5.91 in.$860 Sale Price30% Off
- Located in Baden-Baden, DEHanging wardrobe with mirror, wood and chromed metal, France, 1940s. Original patina (just cleaned, not polished...Category
Mid-20th Century French Wardrobes and ArmoiresMaterials
MetalH 21.66 in. W 37.41 in. D 9.85 in.$943 Sale Price20% Off
- By Albert MarionnetLocated in Baden-Baden, DEBookends with elephants in two different poses By Albert Marionnet (1852-1910), signed France, circa 1900. Mate...Category
Antique Early 1900s French Art Nouveau Animal SculpturesMaterials
Marble, BronzeH 5.71 in. W 5.71 in. D 3.75 in.$2,731 / set
- Located in Baden-Baden, DELittle dancer Sculpture in bronze on a socle of natural stone Original Art Deco, France, 1930s. Dimension...Category
Early 20th Century French Art Deco Figurative SculpturesMaterials
Stone, BronzeH 9.45 in. W 4.34 in. D 2.76 in.$413 Sale Price29% Off
- By Louis-Albert CarvinLocated in Baden-Baden, DEBronze sculpture “Bear” by “Louis-Albert Carvin” (1875-1951) Original Art Deco, France, 1930s. Signed “Carvin”...Category
Vintage 1930s French Art Deco Animal SculpturesMaterials
Marble, BronzeH 10.04 in. W 2.96 in. D 3.15 in.$884 Sale Price20% Off
- Located in Baden-Baden, DEBronze sculpture, elephant, Asia, circa 1900 Bronze with original patina Dimensions: Width 20 cm Height 15...Category
Early 20th Century Asian Animal SculpturesMaterials
BronzeH 6.11 in. W 5.12 in. D 7.88 in.$471 Sale Price20% Off
You May Also Like
Vintage 1970s Swiss Mid-Century Modern Collectible Jewelry
Vintage 1960s Swiss Mid-Century Modern Collectible Jewelry
Vintage 1930s North American Art Deco More Clocks
Mid-20th Century North American Art Deco More Clocks
Crystal, Gold, Enamel, Steel
Vintage 1940s French Wall Clocks
Vintage 1940s Italian Art Deco Animal Sculptures
Vintage 1970s Japanese Industrial Wall Clocks
Steel, Cut Steel
Vintage 1980s Japanese Industrial Wall Clocks
Steel, Cut Steel, Chrome
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Insured Global Delivery