Arne Jacobsen Egg Chair In Edelman Leather
About the Item
- Creator:Arne Jacobsen (Designer)
- Dimensions:Height: 37.5 in (95.25 cm)Width: 34 in (86.36 cm)Depth: 42.25 in (107.32 cm)Seat Height: 16 in (40.64 cm)
- Materials and Techniques:
- Date of Manufacture:1969
- Seller Location:Stamford, CT
- Reference Number:Seller: NHS/ELS1stDibs: LU91867252103
The eye-catching work of the Danish architect and designer Arne Jacobsen often introduces new collectors to mid-20th century furniture. With their fluid lines and sculptural presence, Jacobsen’s signature pieces — the elegant Swan chair and the cozy-yet-cutting edge Egg chair, both first presented in 1958 — are iconic representations of both the striking aesthetic of the designers of the era and their concomitant attention to practicality and comfort. Jacobsen designed furniture that had both gravitas and groove.
Though Jacobsen is a paragon of Danish modernism, his approach to design was the least “Danish” of those who are counted as his peers. The designs of Hans Wegner, Finn Juhl, Børge Mogensen and others grew out of their studies as cabinetmakers. They prized skilled craftsmanship and their primary material was carved, turned and joined wood. Jacobsen was first and foremost an architect, and while he shared his colleagues’ devotion to quality of construction, he was far more open to other materials such as metal and fiberglass.
Many of Jacobsen’s best-known pieces had their origin in architectural commissions. His molded-plywood, three-legged Ant chair (1952) was first designed for the cafeteria of a pharmaceutical company headquarters. The tall-backed Oxford chair was made for the use of dons at St. Catherine’s College, Oxford, whose Jacobsen-designed campus opened in 1962 (while still under construction). The Swan, Egg and Drop chairs and the AJ desk lamp were all created as part of Jacobsen’s plan for the SAS Royal Copenhagen Hotel, which opened in 1960. (The hotel has since been redecorated, but one guest room has been preserved with all-Jacobsen accoutrements.)
To Jacobsen’s mind, the chief merit of any design was practicality. He designed the first stainless-steel cutlery set made by the Danish silver company Georg Jensen; Jacobsen’s best-selling chair — the plywood Series 7 — was created to provide lightweight, stackable seating for modern eat-in kitchens. But as you will see from the objects on 1stDibs, style never took a backseat to function in Arne Jacobsen’s work. His work merits a place in any modern design collection.
Find authentic Arne Jacobsen chairs, tables, sofas and other furniture on 1stDibs.
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Stamford, CT
- Return Policy
This item cannot be returned.
- Midcentury Danish Chair of Elm Wood and Sheepskin in the Style of ArctanderBy Philip ArctanderLocated in Stamford, CTMidcentury Danish easy chair of elm wood covered in long haired sheepskin.Category
Mid-20th Century Danish Mid-Century Modern ArmchairsMaterials
- Pair of Black Lacquer Wood Frame Arm Chairs, In the Manner of Andrea ArbusBy André ArbusLocated in Stamford, CTA pair of 1930's French armchairs newly reupholstered in Rogers and Goffigon fabric and Bronze sabot. In the manner of Andre Arbus.Category
Mid-20th Century French Mid-Century Modern ArmchairsMaterials
- Spade Chair Designed by Finn JuhlBy Finn JuhlLocated in Stamford, CTA France and Sons chair designed by Finn Juhl. Known as the "Spade Chair". Model FD 133. this is ebonized model retains its label. Finn Juhl fi...Category
Vintage 1970s Danish Mid-Century Modern ArmchairsMaterials
- Huge Pair of Barrel Form Mahogany ChairsLocated in Stamford, CTLate French Empire mahogany barrel form chair with turned legs, along with a modern copy. Very deep chair and extremely comfortable. Completely reupholstered.Category
Antique 1840s French ChairsMaterials
Mahogany$29,000 / set
- Early Womb Chair Designed for Eero SaarinenBy Knoll, Eero SaarinenLocated in Stamford, CTA early production womb chair designed by Eero Saarinen. Produced by Knoll starting in 1946 this model was produced in 1952. It re...Category
Vintage 1950s American Mid-Century Modern ChairsMaterials
- Caned and Ebonized Arm Chair Designed by Edward WormleyBy Edward WormleyLocated in Stamford, CTA sharp looking ebonized chair with caned side panels designed by Edward Wormley for Dunbar.Category
Vintage 1950s American Modern ChairsMaterials
- Egg, Model 3316, Arne Jacobsen, 1958By Arne Jacobsen, Fritz HansenLocated in Lejre, DKThe egg, model 3316 designed by Arne Jacobsen in 1958. The chair has original upholstery in cognac elegance leather manufactored by Fritz Hansen This product will be inspected th...Category
Vintage 1950s Danish Mid-Century Modern ArmchairsMaterials
Aluminum$10,408 / item
- Arne Jacobsen Egg ChairBy Arne JacobsenLocated in Brooklyn, NYIconic Mid-Century Modern "Egg Chair" design by Arne Jacobsen. Made with egg shell white fabric. Featuring the Classic organic form body and single seat cus...Category
Mid-20th Century Mid-Century Modern ChairsMaterials
Fabric$2,240 Sale Price20% Off
- Arne Jacobsen Model 3316 Egg Easy Chair LeatherBy Arne Jacobsen, Fritz HansenLocated in Berkeley, CAThe Egg is one of the triumphs of Jacobsen’s total design, a sculptural contrast to the building’s almost exclusively vertical and horizontal surfaces. The Egg sprang from a new tech...Category
21st Century and Contemporary American Mid-Century Modern ChairsMaterials
Oak$22,684 / item
- Pair of Arne Jacobsen Style Egg ChairsBy Arne JacobsenLocated in Wichita, KSThis vintage pair of chairs are in the style of the Arne Jacobsen egg chair. They were designed by Arne Jacobsen as part of the SAS Royal Hotel in 1956. The design has stood the test...Category
20th Century American Mid-Century Modern Club ChairsMaterials
Metal$2,350 / set
- Charles Eames for Herman Miller Tandem Aluminum Lounge Chairs in Edelman LeatherBy Charles and Ray Eames, Herman MillerLocated in Los Angeles, CAIncredible pair of restored and reimagined Charles and Ray Eames for Herman Miller, 1962 Collection, Tandem modular seating that was originally designed for Chicago O'Hare Airport, w...Category
Vintage 1960s American Mid-Century Modern ChairsMaterials
- Set of Two Seven Chairs, Model 3207, Dark Brown Leather, Arne Jacobsen, 1955By Arne Jacobsen, Fritz HansenLocated in Lejre, DKA set of seven chairs, model 3207, with arms in dark brown colored leather designed by Arne Jacobsen in 1955 and manufactured by Fritz Hansen. The ...Category
Vintage 1980s Danish Mid-Century Modern ChairsMaterials
Recently ViewedView More
The 16 Most Popular Mid-Century Modern Chairs
You know the designs, now get the stories about to how they came to be.
Arne Jacobsen’s Egg Chair Scrambled the Idea of What a Wingback Could Be
The curvaceous Egg was designed to cradle the body and offer privacy. Later, it became the seat of choice for bosses in movies, too.
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery