Odelberg Olsen Work Chair
About the Item
- Dimensions:Height: 31 in (78.74 cm)Width: 16.75 in (42.55 cm)Depth: 18 in (45.72 cm)Seat Height: 16 in (40.64 cm)
- Style:Industrial (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques:
- Place of Origin:
- Date of Manufacture:circa 1948
- Condition:Refinished. Wear consistent with age and use. Minor losses. Fine structural condition. The wooden seat and back has been refinished and exhibits only some minor blemishes. Metal parts are in original condition, with loss to paint consistent with age and use.
- Seller Location:New York, NY
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU828532987302
As a company that produced many of the most famous and iconic furniture designs of the 20th century, Knoll was a chief influence in the rise of modern design in the United States. Led by Florence Knoll, the firm would draw stellar talents such as Ludwig Mies van der Rohe and Eero Saarinen into its compass. Their work would help change the face of the American home and office.
The company was formed in 1938 by the German immigrant Hans Knoll. He first worked with his fellow ex-pat, the Danish designer Jens Risom, who created furniture with flowing lines made of wood. While Risom served in World War II, in 1943 Knoll met his future wife, Florence Schust. She had studied and worked with eminent emigré leaders of the Bauhaus, including Mies, Walter Gropius and Marcel Breuer. She won Knoll over with Bauhaus notions of industrial arts, and an aesthetic that featured flat and tubular metal frames and angular forms. When Hans died in a car crash in 1955, Florence Knoll was appointed head of the company. It was as much through her holistic approach to design — a core division of the firm was dedicated to planning office systems — as Knoll's mid-century modern furnishings themselves that she brought about the sleek and efficient transformation of the American workplace.
Today, classic Knoll furnishings remain staples of modern design collections and decor. A history of modern design is written in pieces such as the elegant Barcelona chair — created by Mies and Lilly Reich — Saarinen’s pedestal Tulip chair, Breuer’s tubular steel Wassily lounge chair and the grid-patterned Diamond chair by Harry Bertoia.
As you can see from the collection of these designs and other vintage Knoll dining chairs, sofas and tables on 1stDibs, this manufacturer's offerings have become timeless emblems of the progressive spirit and sleek sophistication of the best of modernism.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: New York, NY
- Return PolicyA return for this item may be initiated within 3 days of delivery.
- Hatfield/Craig Organic Design ChairBy Ann Hatfield and Martin CraigLocated in New York, NYChair with tilting seat back in solid birch with a vintage seat cushion fabric. A winning entry by Ann Hatfield and Martin Craig in the seminal MoMA 1941...Category
Vintage 1940s American Organic Modern Office Chairs and Desk ChairsMaterials
- Fabricius and Kastholm Swivel ArmchairBy Jørgen Kastholm & Preben Fabricius, Kill InternationalLocated in New York, NYFK-86 armchair in chrome-plated steel with five-point cast aluminum base with casters. Original gray leather on cushion and fiberglass frame. Designed by Preben Fabricius and Jorgen ...Category
Vintage 1960s Danish Mid-Century Modern Office Chairs and Desk ChairsMaterials
- Franco Albini Lounge Chair for Knoll, Model 49By Knoll, Franco AlbiniLocated in New York, NYLounge chair, model 49, designed by Franco Albini and produced by Knoll from 1949 until about 1967. This example circa 1950’s. Slender walnut frame with distinctive wrap-around arms,...Category
Vintage 1950s American Mid-Century Modern Lounge ChairsMaterials
- Chairs by Harry Bertoia: Knoll Associates, Inc BrochureBy Herbert Matter, KnollLocated in New York, NYKnoll brochure featuring chair (and bench) designs by Harry Bertoia but also including work by Richard Schultz, Isamu Noguchi, and Florence Knoll. Published by Knoll International in...Category
Vintage 1960s American Mid-Century Modern BooksMaterials
- Saara Hopea-Untracht: Life and WorkBy Saara Hopea-UntrachtLocated in New York, NYMonograph on renowned and prolific mid-century Finnish designer Saara Hopea-Untracht, written by her husband, the American metalsmith, educator, and writer...Category
Vintage 1980s Finnish Scandinavian Modern BooksMaterials
- Folding Plywood Child's ChairBy Norman ChernerLocated in New York, NYFolding child’s chair composed of three pieces of cut plywood, a canvas sling, and steel pins. The frame pivots open and closed via the pins and a groove cut into the plywood seat. American, circa 1950, in an organic design idiom in the manner of Norman Cherner or Arthur Collani, both of whom provided blueprints for DIY projects. As with analogous Shaker furniture...Category
Vintage 1950s American Mid-Century Modern ChairsMaterials
- Height adjustable T60 workshop chair by Oldeberg & Olsen for Knoll, Inc., 1947By Knoll, Odelberg OlsenLocated in Frankfurt am Main, DEStockholm-based steel entrepreneurs and wholesalers Anders Olson and John Odelberg founded a company in the 1940s to manufacture these office chairs. Knoll, Inc. in the USA took over...Category
Mid-20th Century Swedish Industrial Office Chairs and Desk ChairsMaterials
- Kurt Olsen Leather ChairBy Kurt Olsen, Slagelse MobelvaerkLocated in London, GBClassic Scandinavian mid-century elbow/desk or occasional chair by Kurt Olsen. Designed by Olsen for for Slagelse Møbelfabrik, Denmark. Smooth sculptural wooden frame that has its or...Category
Mid-20th Century Danish Mid-Century Modern ArmchairsMaterials
- Vintage Industrial Swivel Work Desk Chair by Kovona, 1950´sBy KovonaLocated in Prague 8, CZThis Industrial mid century working desk chair was made by Kovona company in the 1950´s. Fully functional, adjustable, Swivelling. Made of plastic and iron. In good Vintage con...Category
Mid-20th Century Czech Industrial Office Chairs and Desk ChairsMaterials
- 20th Century French Industrial Metal Chair - Vintage Work Chair by Henri LieberBy Henri Lieber, FlamboLocated in West Palm Beach, FLA vintage French Industrial workshop chair made of metal, the seat height is adjustable. Designed by Henri Lieber, produced by Flambo, in goo...Category
Early 20th Century French Industrial StoolsMaterials
- Arts & Crafts Adjustable Work ChairLocated in Greenwich, CTA work chair with strong Arts & Crafts design elements including exposed iron mechanics and solid oak construction featuring sloped legs on round rotating...Category
Antique Early 1900s English Office Chairs and Desk ChairsMaterials
- Vintage Danish Rosewood Desk Chair by Hans Olsen, 1960sBy Hans Olsen, Skipper MoblerLocated in Asaa, DKVintage Danish rosewood desk chair by Hans Olsen, 1960s. Danish modern office chair designed by Hans Olsen and manufactured by Skippers Møb...Category
Vintage 1960s Danish Mid-Century Modern ArmchairsMaterials