Don Albinson Stacking Side Chairs by Knoll Set of 14
About the Item
- Dimensions:Height: 32 in (81.28 cm)Width: 21 in (53.34 cm)Depth: 21.5 in (54.61 cm)
- Sold As:Set of 14
- Style:Mid-Century Modern (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques:
- Place of Origin:
- Date of Manufacture:1960s
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use.
- Seller Location:Highland, IN
- Reference Number:1stDibs: LU909110776781
As a company that produced many of the most famous and iconic furniture designs of the 20th century, Knoll was a chief influence in the rise of modern design in the United States. Led by Florence Knoll, the firm would draw stellar talents such as Ludwig Mies van der Rohe and Eero Saarinen into its compass. Their work would help change the face of the American home and office.
The company was formed in 1938 by the German immigrant Hans Knoll. He first worked with his fellow ex-pat, the Danish designer Jens Risom, who created furniture with flowing lines made of wood. While Risom served in World War II, in 1943 Knoll met his future wife, Florence Schust. She had studied and worked with eminent emigré leaders of the Bauhaus, including Mies, Walter Gropius and Marcel Breuer. She won Knoll over with Bauhaus notions of industrial arts, and an aesthetic that featured flat and tubular metal frames and angular forms. When Hans died in a car crash in 1955, Florence Knoll was appointed head of the company. It was as much through her holistic approach to design — a core division of the firm was dedicated to planning office systems — as Knoll's mid-century modern furnishings themselves that she brought about the sleek and efficient transformation of the American workplace.
Today, classic Knoll furnishings remain staples of modern design collections and decor. A history of modern design is written in pieces such as the elegant Barcelona chair — created by Mies and Lilly Reich — Saarinen’s pedestal Tulip chair, Breuer’s tubular steel Wassily lounge chair and the grid-patterned Diamond chair by Harry Bertoia.
As you can see from the collection of these designs and other vintage Knoll dining chairs, sofas and tables on 1stDibs, this manufacturer's offerings have become timeless emblems of the progressive spirit and sleek sophistication of the best of modernism.
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Highland, IN
- Return PolicyThis item cannot be returned.
- Set of Four Eames / Girard La Fonda Side Chairs by Herman MillerBy Herman Miller, Charles and Ray Eames, Alexander GirardLocated in Highland, INThis set of four side chairs are the result of the collaboration between Charles and Ray Eames and Alexander Girard when he was designing the interior of La Fonda Del Sol restaurant. They are a variation of the Eames fiberglass side chair...Category
Vintage 1970s American Mid-Century Modern Side ChairsMaterials
- Johannes Andersen Dining Chairs by Uldum Møbelfabrik Set of 6By Johannes Andersen, Uldum MøbelfabrikLocated in Highland, INThis set of six stately Johannes Andersen teak dining chairs by Uldum Mobelfabrik, have sexy sculptural lines and light, tapered legs. They as comfortable as they are beautiful. M...Category
Vintage 1960s Danish Scandinavian Modern Dining Room ChairsMaterials
- Lucite Z ChairBy Charles Hollis JonesLocated in Highland, INThis classic lucite Z chair is a great occasional piece in very good original condition. The transparent quality and minimal form allow it to work in an...Category
Vintage 1970s American Hollywood Regency Side ChairsMaterials
- Niels O. Møller Dining Chairs Model 71 by J.L. Møllers MøbelfabrikBy Niels Otto MøllerLocated in Highland, INA handsome set of four model 71 dining chairs designed by Niels O. Møller and made by J.L. Møllers Møbelfabrik. The sculptural teak frames and woven paper cord seats have a beautiful...Category
Vintage 1950s Danish Scandinavian Modern Dining Room ChairsMaterials
- Mies Van Der Rohe Thin Brno Chairs by KnollBy Ludwig Mies van der Rohe, KnollLocated in Highland, INWe think this version of Mies' Brno chair with it's thin seat and back is the most elegant and comes closest to his minimalist ideal. Upholstered in black leather, this pair is in go...Category
Vintage 1920s American Mid-Century Modern ArmchairsMaterials
- Set of Eight, Ten or 12 Mies Van Der Rohe Tubular Brno Chairs by KnollBy Ludwig Mies van der RoheLocated in Highland, INThese tubular Brno chairs by Mies van deer Rohe have stainless steel frames and are upholstered in Eames small dot fabric, giving a lighter, playful touch to an otherwise sober refin...Category
Vintage 1930s American Mid-Century Modern Dining Room ChairsMaterials
- Set of 15 Tandem Stacking Seats by Don Albinson for Knoll with CartBy Knoll, Don AlbinsonLocated in South Charleston, WVDon Albinson 1965, Knoll International, Plastic, aluminum Price is for set of 15. Comes with the dolly for easy moving. Heavily discounted for clearance for new premises. This listing is for the 15 tandem seat...Category
Vintage 1960s American Mid-Century Modern Side ChairsMaterials
- Set of Four Chrome Dining Chairs by Bertoia for KnollBy Harry Bertoia, KnollLocated in New York, NYSet of matching Bertoia side, or dining, chairs in chrome with original white pad seat covers. This nice set is in very fine, original, clean and ready to use condition, the only cav...Category
Mid-20th Century American Mid-Century Modern Dining Room ChairsMaterials
- Early Set of Four Harry Bertoia Molded Shell Side Chairs for Knoll, LabeledBy Harry Bertoia, KnollLocated in Chesterfield, NJSet of four molded shell side chairs designed by Harry Bertoia and manufactured by Knoll. Originally debuted in 1960, this very early set is from 1963 and...Category
Vintage 1960s American Mid-Century Modern Side ChairsMaterials
- Pair of Jens Risom 666 Side Chairs for KnollBy Jens Risom, KnollLocated in Los Angeles, CARare Jens Risom chairs made in the 1940s, model “666” of the 600 series from 1941.Category
Vintage 1940s American Mid-Century Modern Side ChairsMaterials
- 1952, Harrie Bertoia for Knoll International a Set of Wire Dining ChairsBy Harry Bertoia, KnollLocated in Amsterdam IJMuiden, NLThis item is part of the private collection of Casey Godrie and is situated in his private house. Ask him for competitive shipping quotes. His incredible Dune Villa, Amsterdam Beach...Category
Vintage 1950s American Mid-Century Modern Dining Room ChairsMaterials
- Massimo Vignelli for Knoll Intl 'Handkerchief' Stacking Chairs, Signed, 20 AvailBy Massimo and Lella Vignelli, Knoll, Massimo VignelliLocated in Los Angeles, CAThis classic Post-Modern design by Massimo and Lella Vignelli for Knoll International is called the 'Handkerchief' stacking chair, labelled underneath with early production (original...Category
1990s American Post-Modern Dining Room ChairsMaterials