- Want more images or videos?Request additional images or videos from the seller
Verner Panton ‘Studioline’ Sofa
- DimensionsHeight: 26.38 in (67 cm)Width: 39.38 in (100 cm)Depth: 26.38 in (67 cm)Seat Height: 15.75 in (40 cm)
- StyleMid-Century Modern (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques
- Place of Origin
- Date of Manufacture1975
- ConditionWear consistent with age and use. Minor fading.
- Seller LocationMørkøv, DK
- Reference Number1stDibs: LU7183229799912
Shipping & Returns
- ShippingRetrieving quote...Ships From: Mørkøv, Denmark
- Return Policy
This item cannot be returned.
About the Designer
Verner Panton introduced the word “groovy” — or at least its Danish equivalent — into the Scandinavian modern design lexicon. He developed fantastical, futuristic forms and embraced bright colors and new materials such as plastic, fabric-covered polyurethane foam and steel-wire framing. And Panton’s ebullient Pop art sensibility made him an international design star of the 1960s and ’70s. This radical departure from classic Danish modernism, however, actually stemmed from his training under the greats of that design style.
Born on the largely rural Danish island of Funen, Panton studied architecture and engineering at Copenhagen’s Royal Danish Academy of Fine Arts, where the lighting designer Poul Henningsen was one of his teachers. After graduating, in 1951, Panton worked in the architectural office of Arne Jacobsen, and he became a close friend of Hans Wegner's.
Henningsen taught a scientific approach to design; Jacobsen was forever researching new materials; and Wegner, the leader in modern furniture design using traditional woodworking and joinery, encouraged experimental form. Panton opened his own design office in 1955, issuing tubular steel chairs with woven seating. His iconoclastic aesthetic was announced with his 1958 Cone chair, modified a year later as the Heart Cone chair. Made of upholstered sheet metal and with a conical base in place of legs, the design shocked visitors to a Copenhagen furniture fair.
Panton went on to successive bravura technical feats. His curving, stackable 1960 Panton chair, his most popular design, was the first chair to be made from a single piece of molded plastic. Three years later, he introduced the S model, the first legless chair crafted from a single piece of plywood, cantilevered on a round metal base. Panton would spend the latter 1960s and early ’70s developing all-encompassing room environments composed of sinuous and fluid-formed modular seating made of foam and metal wire. He also created a series of remarkable lighting designs, most notably his Fun chandeliers — introduced in 1964 and composed of scores of shimmering capiz-shell disks — and the Space Age VP Globe pendant light of 1969.
As you will see from the offerings on 1stDibs, Verner Panton’s designs are made to stand out and put an eye-catching exclamation point on even the most modern decor.
- Verner Panton ‘Curve’ Textile for Swiss Mira-X, 1970sBy Verner PantonLocated in Mørkøv, 85This is something very, very special - especially if you are a fan of graphic design, and even more so if you like Verner Panton. It is extremely rare to find such a large and well-k...Category
Vintage 1970s Danish Mid-Century Modern Curtains and ValancesMaterials
- Classic 2-Seater Sofa in Stribed WoolLocated in Mørkøv, 85A beautiful classic 2-seater sofa, upholstered in the original off-white/black wool. The sofa is in a good condition with only minor stains.Category
Mid-20th Century Danish Mid-Century Modern SofasMaterials
- Beautiful Curved Sofa from Th 1940sLocated in Mørkøv, 85Look a the beautiful shapes of this sofa. A classic sofa from the 1940s, upholstered with the original velvet olive green colour and legs in wood All original and good condition,...Category
Vintage 1940s Mid-Century Modern SofasMaterials
- Arne Norell Sofa with CaneBy Arne NorellLocated in Mørkøv, 85Vintage sofa in light wood, caning and upholstered with the original cool fabric from the 1980s. The sofa is in good condition. A well-designed sofa by talented Swedish designer A...Category
Vintage 1980s Swedish Scandinavian Modern SofasMaterials
Fabric, Cane, Beech
- Børge Mogensen Model ‘3245’, Oak and Brown Leather, 8 Pcs, 1970sBy Fredericia Stolefabrik, Børge MogensenLocated in Mørkøv, 85We all now the fact that you rarely move away from the dining table when you have guests. Often you also sit here and work. In other words, you often sit in your dining chair for man...Category
Mid-20th Century Danish Mid-Century Modern Dining Room ChairsMaterials
- Hvidt & Mølgaard ArmchairBy Hvidt & MølgaardLocated in Mørkøv, 85Beautiful danish armchair named ‘Portex’, which is designed by Peter Hvidt and Orla Mølgaard-Nielsen in 40ties. The first chair was made in 1944 and was one of the first important ex...Category
Vintage 1940s Danish Mid-Century Modern ArmchairsMaterials
- 1960s Verner Panton Studioline Modular SofaBy Verner PantonLocated in London, LambethTwo early Verner Panton ‘Studioline’ sofa /daybed modules designed in 1961 and produced by France & Søn. Wooden frame with legs in front and wheels behind. Cushions in yellow cotton ...Category
Mid-20th Century Danish Mid-Century Modern SofasMaterials
- Verner Panton 'Easy' Sofa 1963 for VerpanBy Verner PantonLocated in Tilburg, NLVerner Panton 'Easy' sofa for Verpan. Designed in 1963. New, current production. With its round shapes and layered design, the Easy collection stands out as one of the most visual...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Danish Scandinavian Modern SofasMaterials
Fabric$8,549 / item
- Verner Panton Cloverleaf Sofa 3 Parts in 'Harald 3 #982' by Kvadrat for VerpanBy Verner PantonLocated in Tilburg, NLVerner Panton cloverleaf sectional sofa. Current production. This listing shows a 3-piece Cloverleaf Sofa in dark green 'Harald 3 #982' by Kvadrat. Seats 5 people in a very interesti...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Danish Mid-Century Modern SofasMaterials
- Midcentury Modular Sofa and Bar Table, Designed by Verner Panton, 1970sBy Fritz Hansen, Verner PantonLocated in Lejre, DKSet of 3 lounge chairs in original lacquered teak. Designed by Frenca & Son for Fritz Hansen, Denmark in 1970s.Category
Vintage 1970s Danish Scandinavian Modern Lounge ChairsMaterials
- Impressive Clover Leaf Sectional Sofa by Verner Panton in Grey FabricBy Verner PantonLocated in Echt, NLBeautiful 'Clover Leaf' sofa in excellent condition. Designed by Verner Panton in 1969 for the Visiona 2 Exhibition in Cologne, Germany. It consists of a base plate which acts as t...Category
20th Century Danish Space Age SofasMaterials
Wood, Fabric, Wool
- Cloverleaf in and Outdoor Sofa, Extension Unit in White by Verner PantonBy Verner Panton, VerpanLocated in Horsens, DKCloverleaf extension unit sofa in-and-outdoor in white by Verner Panton. Charging unit can be added - for indoor use only. Modular sofa system consisting of right, left, middle an...Category
21st Century and Contemporary Danish Modern Sofas
Recently ViewedView More
113 Chairs That Prove Danish Design Isn’t Limited to Denmark
In an innovative display, the Designmuseum Danmark is permanently exhibiting the 20th century's most iconic seats.
Verner Panton’s Bold Designs From the 1960s and ’70s Are Showing Up Everywhere
From high-fashion runways to a brand-new book, the groovy, futurist work of this groundbreaking Danish creative is receiving newfound — and much deserved — attention.