Midcentury Wrought Iron Bar Cart or Serving Cart by Woodard
View Similar Items
Midcentury Wrought Iron Bar Cart or Serving Cart by Woodard
- Creator:Woodard Furniture Co. (Maker),Russell Woodard (Designer)
- Similar to:Mathieu Matégot (Designer)
- Dimensions:Height: 29 in (73.66 cm)Width: 40.25 in (102.24 cm)Depth: 20.13 in (51.14 cm)
- Style:Hollywood Regency (Of the Period)
- Materials and Techniques:Wrought Iron
- Place of Origin:North America
- Date of Manufacture:1960
- Condition:Wear consistent with age and use. Some age related chips and scratches to paint finish. Could be repainted if desired. New mirrored top shelf.
- Seller Location:Houston, TX
- Reference Number:Seller: KIRBY ANTIQUES-Bar Cart-LU8694285750121stDibs: LU869428575012
About the Maker
Woodard Furniture Co.
Woodard Furniture Company’s diverse offerings have included everything from pine caskets to premium patio furnishings over the years.
Lyman E. Woodward founded the family business Woodard Brothers (he dropped the second w for his venture’s name), later Woodard Furniture Co., in Owosso, Michigan, in 1866. Woodard Furniture produced wood furniture such as birch and oak bedroom pieces, window and door blinds and even pine caskets. Demand for the latter increased during the spread of the Spanish flu in America, and Woodard’s casket business — a new company called Owosso Casket Company — thrived, becoming the largest casket manufacturer in the world throughout the 1920s. Two U.S. presidents, William McKinley and Benjamin Harrison, were buried in Owosso caskets.
On the furniture side, Lyman’s son Lee Woodard spun off his own business as Lee L. Woodard and Sons, opening a shop with his sons, Joseph, Lyman II and Russell. During the 1930s, the new company explored the use of metal in furniture-making and introduced a wrought-iron set of patio dining furniture featuring ornate grillwork inspired by French design called Orleans in 1940. The line became a best seller and kick-started the company’s international reputation as a patio-furniture maker, even as the Woodard factory subsequently shifted toward supporting the wartime efforts in manufacturing parts for trucks and military equipment. After World War II, the business returned to making furniture.
Over the years, Woodard and Sons would go on to master metallurgy in furniture making, developing expertise in wrought iron, cast aluminum and tubular aluminum for both indoor and outdoor pieces. While the business started with more traditional styles of furnishings, the company would go on to embrace mid-century modernism. In fact, one of Woodard’s most famous pieces is 1956’s Sculptura chair, variously credited over the years to Russell and/or Joseph. The Sculptura was reportedly the first sculpted chair made without molds. Not unlike Harry Bertoia’s elegant steel-wire Side chair (also a mid-century darling) in its undulating form, the Sculptura chair, which is composed entirely of enameled woven wrought-iron wire, bears similarity to Eero Saarinen’s Womb chair and Charles and Ray Eames’s DAX chair. The beloved Woodard chair was added to the Cooper Hewitt Smithsonian Design Museum’s permanent collection in 1994.
While the Woodard business is no longer in family hands, the company continues to produce fine patio furniture today and even reintroduced the Sculptura chair in 2015 as nostalgia for mid-century modernism gained steam again.
At 1stDibs, find Woodard Furniture’s wrought-iron patio chairs, spun fiberglass dining tables and more.
- Italian Lacquered Goatskin Bar Cart or Serving Cart by Aldo TuraBy Karl Springer, Aldo TuraLocated in Houston, TXItalian Lacquered Goatskin bar cart or serving cart by Aldo Tura. Stunning Italian midcentury lacquered goatskin bar cart, serving cart or drink cart with brass fittings by Aldo Tur...Category
Vintage 1960s Italian Hollywood Regency Carts and Bar CartsMaterials
- French Maison Jansen Attributed Neoclassical Style Bronze Bar CartBy Maison Baguès, Maison JansenLocated in Houston, TXFrench Maison Jansen attributed neoclassical style bronze bar cart. This stunning French neoclassical style bronze bar cart has stunning large wheels, swan handles and two shelves w...Category
Vintage 1940s French Neoclassical Carts and Bar CartsMaterials
- Italian, Mid-Century Modern Brass Bar CartBy Maison Ramsay, Romeo Rega, Milo Baughman, Maison Baguès, Maison JansenLocated in Houston, TXItalian Mid-Century Modern brass bar cart. Italian Mid-Century Modern seamless brass bar cart, serving cart, drinks cart or cocktail trolley. Th...Category
Vintage 1970s Italian Mid-Century Modern Carts and Bar CartsMaterials
- French Art Deco Table Attributed to Maurice JallotBy Jacques Adnet, Gio Ponti, Jules Leleu, Maurice Jallot, André ArbusLocated in Houston, TXFrench Art Deco table attributed to Maurice Jallot. This stunning French Art Deco table is simplistically and expertly executed i...Category
Vintage 1930s European Art Deco TablesMaterials
- French Wrought Iron Table with Travertine TopBy Edgar Brandt, Jules Leleu, Gilbert Poillerat, Jean ProuvéLocated in Houston, TXFrench wrought iron table with travertine top. This handsome French hand forged wrought iron table or side table has a beautiful travertine t...Category
Vintage 1960s French Hollywood Regency TablesMaterials
Travertine, Wrought Iron
- French Wrought Iron Cocktail Table with Églomisé TopBy Raymond Subes, Edgar Brandt, Gilbert Poillerat, René Drouet, Jean RoyèreLocated in Houston, TXFrench wrought iron cocktail table with Églomisé Top. Great French 1940s round hand forged wrought iron cocktail table or coffee ta...Category
Vintage 1940s French Hollywood Regency Coffee and Cocktail TablesMaterials
- Russell Woodard Wrought Iron Bar Tea Serving Cart Mid Century ModernBy Russell WoodardLocated in Wayne, NJVintage Russell Woodard Sculptura wrought iron Bar Tea Service Cart .Category
Vintage 1950s American Mid-Century Modern Patio and Garden FurnitureMaterials
- Woodard Chantilly Rose White Wrought Iron Tea or Bar CartBy Russell Woodard, Woodard Furniture Co.Located in Stamford, CTThis is a Classic Woodard Chantilly Rose wrought iron tea cart or bar cart, well made and fine quality. Wood, a great American company, furnished th...Category
Mid-20th Century American American Classical Patio and Garden FurnitureMaterials
- Sanayi313 Serving Bar Cart by Sanayi 313Located in Geneve, CHSanayi313 serving bar cart by Sanayi 313 Unique Piece Dimensions: W 77 x D 46 x H 82 cm Materials: Ash Veener, Bronze Wine Rack and Wheel, Bronze D...Category
2010s Turkish Post-Modern TablesMaterials
- Midcentury Serving Bar Cart or Trolley, 1960sLocated in Praha, CZ- very practical - rare type.Category
Vintage 1960s Italian Mid-Century Modern Serving TablesMaterials
- Aldo Tura Bar Cart or Drinks TableBy Aldo TuraLocated in San Francisco, CAAldo Tura bar cart or drinks table made from faux marbleized goatskin wrapped wooden oval tops with an unusual prickly bronze finish frame, labeled. Rare design win very good origina...Category
Vintage 1960s Italian Mid-Century Modern Carts and Bar CartsMaterials
- Maison Jansen Style Bar or Serving CartBy Maison JansenLocated in Sheffield, MAThis stylish vintage brushed metal bar cart, created in the Maison Jansen neoclassical style featuring two glass tiers with gallery surround fitt...Category
Vintage 1970s Italian Hollywood Regency Carts and Bar CartsMaterials
Recently ViewedView More
The 1stDibs PromiseLearn More
Expertly Vetted Sellers
Confidence at Checkout
Trusted Global Delivery